Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 12:55 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Dad/Mom- this ought to be good
Their offspring is the 991.2 GT3 Touring

Last edited by GT3; 08-14-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:29 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Maybe Porsche did us a favor by banging out so many 991 GT3, RS and GT2s. These cars will probably never appreciate like the lower production 997’s, leaving us little choice but to drive them.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:30 PM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Birel22
Do share more!
I'm not going to start a long comparison between the two cars but rather tell you how I live things starting with Dad, ie the RS 4.0

It's always the same with this car.
At first you find it painful when you take it back after leaving it for several weeks without moving.
Your left knee remembers you as being repaired, the gearbox seems to have been borrowed from a truck, it brakes way as long as it is not quite hot, the engine starts in a noise between explosion and ball of steel in a pan and then it's the mono mass flywheel that takes over. the first hole in the roadway destroys the lumbar and you seek your driving position to suffer as little as possible.
but why do you suffer so much in 2018 to drive fast then you think to sell it!
And then outside the weather is nice, the mezger starts to heat, the gearbox becomes softer, and it's all started to come to life.
And little by little everything changes face, a little push on the right pedal and the car immediately jump. No latency, no excess weight (it is lighter than the R). The mezger reminds you that he knows how to do everything especially on the medium speed and it really speeds up.
So you get emboldened and then you end up remembering something, is that if the R looks like a Brazilian, the one with the most temperament, it is the RS 4.0. And so you have to whip it! In short, it's up to you to do the job and if you want to go fast you have better to do it well. Moreover, every time you ****, she reminds you, and especially reminds you that it is a 911 without steering wheels, without ptv, without automatic heel-toe , with the engine well in the back and chassis of which the distance between the axles has not changed much since 1969.
In short, I went home, I washed, pasted a little birthday sticker and finally I do not want to sell it.

to be continued
Old 08-14-2018, 05:37 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
There is no way in damnation or creation I'd take a GT3 touring over a 997 4.0 I'll say.

R is way easier to drive due to lighter clutch.
4.0 is more fairy dusty and if I had to only have one I'd rob someone to buy both.
CJ, you are obviously one who's opinion is based on a great deal of experience and seat time in many quality rides. I notice you don't appear to have a 4.0RS in your stable. I realize there's only so many cars, and so much room, but you do have an R. Is there a reason? (Honest question)

Thanks all for your input

Last edited by VECCA; 08-14-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:04 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Took my rs4.0l out for a drive last Saturday. Rickman is spot on. When the car is cold it doesn’t really work. The only thing that sounds less when cold is the flywheel. Gears are notchy. Have to be very gentle with it at first. When oil temp is up everything starts to come alive. It always leaves me with a sensation of not being worthy to own and drive it. I own a few other 911s. None of the other cars make me feel that way.
It is a very special car.
Is the new 991.2rs better? Without a doubt. Drove it on track a couple of weeks ago. It is absolutely brilliant. Better in every possible way. But, I would never sell the 997rs4.0l to get one. It doesn’t make any sense. That’s what these cars are about. Not making sense.

Putting way to many miles on this. Who cares.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:25 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Is the new 991.2rs better? Without a doubt. Drove it on track a couple of weeks ago. It is absolutely brilliant. Better in every possible way.

Only if you define 'better' as 'faster'. 'Better' to me means superior driving experience. The 991 GT cars (all) imo absolutely are not definitely better in that respect.

P.S taking my 4.0 to the ring next week and I could care less if I could be 5/10/30 seconds a lap faster in a 991.2 rs....
Old 08-14-2018, 09:05 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Put 2000~ miles on a 997 4.0 back in the day.

It was the best factory 911 I'd driven, "best" in this case being most emotionally exciting/intuitive/thrilling. Others measure that by utility, usability, value, performance, etc.—but none of those will matter from our deathbeds.

It's still the best factory 911 I've driven, despite better cars that have come since. The first RS 4.0 was "hardcore," yet a sweet spot that was approachable even in the wet once the tires were hot. I didn't want to get out of it, even after hard 6-8 hour runs. In fact, I just drove around the neighborhood at the speed limit one evening after an epic run for another 20-30 minutes at 25 mph just to listen to the thing all warmed through.

Offer me the keys to either, and it would be the 997 every time. There's only one Porsche road car I'd rather have, and it isn't a 911.

Originally Posted by NMM991
The R is an extremely enjoyable car to drive on back roads and even around town. I will take it on the track just to explore my own limits and how it compares to my 2016 RS.

I have never driven a 4.0 RS but I had a 2011 GT3, which I feel was a very different car, not in a bad way but the differences between the 997 and the 991 cars are major and I prefer the 991. The R is light, the single mass flywheel adds a lot to the experience, have the 500 hp with a 6-speed is just delightful.

Every car is different, and we shouldn't let car envy get in the way of enjoyment. I've owned 911s for 40 years and I have enjoyed every single one of them. It's not about how much a car is worth, or whether it's going to be on someone's list as the best Porsche ever of it's generation and how much money you can make on the car.
And this is the flip side to my comments ^

Resonates with me, also. I've enjoyed every Porsche I've had, from my first one, a 914, through 911s, Boxsters & Caymans, etc. Sometimes, it's less about the car and more about the drive. And I'll say this: A base Carrera enjoyed thoroughly beats anything that sits around.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:02 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That puts it all in perspective -- a base Carrera is still a great car.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:14 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Have not driven either, however if both were lined up side by side and I were asked to pick one for my garage, I would pick the 997 4.0 RS. Why? The 4.0L is a derivative of the Mezger engine in the GT3 R and RSR! The 997 chassis, with its shorter wheelbase and narrower track, offers a more edgy driving experience and finally, the interior (without the ‘Cayenne extended center console’ is simply more 911 to me. The clutch is heavier, the transmission less silky but those are all part of the experience that would make owning the 997 4.0 RS uniquely brilliant. I can only wish, dream and work harder...
Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

On looks alone, I would take the R
Old 08-14-2018, 11:16 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I have driven neither, but i think that after driving either car for a while i would probably miss my 991.1 GT3. I like the looks of mine far more than the R, and i would miss 9k RPM’s, lightning fast PDK shifts, the handling, the interior finish and the exterior looks of mine vs the 997 RS 4.0.

But i still want an RS 4.0.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:17 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

I would love to own a 4.0 RS. Epic. Never drove one but did drive a 2010 GT3 so maybe it gives me some idea. It was “raw” and the clutch required a lot of leg strength.

Bought one of these instead which while not a “4.0 RS” or a Carrera is a great very fun engaging analog ride with a great 6spd mt.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:00 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by VECCA
CJ, you are obviously one who's opinion is based on a great deal of experience and seat time in many quality rides. I notice you don't appear to have a 4.0RS in your stable. I realize there's only so many cars, and so much room, but you do have an R. Is there a reason? (Honest question)

Thanks all for your input
Keep selling ones I owned. Not enough money to collect and keep and race and expand dealership group.

993 GT2 was partially paid for with proceeds from selling.

I've owned 5 of them so far in the last 5 years. I'll get another one but in the mean time I have to find a way to pay for Senna, Ford GT, Pista. Just got an allocation for GT2RS so I'm going to have to sell my R sadly.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:33 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

The clutch on the 4.0 is way easier than the 997.1rs

the 4.0 to me is the epitome of a 911 the way I want a 911

They make so many variations because we all have our idea of the perfect 911

if you want the best blend of classic and modern 911 the 4.0 wins every day

I wouldn’t trade my 4.0 for an R plus $200k To me it’s that good
Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

997 4.0 not only is an awesome drive experience. Somehow it is universally adored by all Porsche nuts to a level that may even exceed reality. I'd say 73rs and 997 4.0 are the crowd favorites whether they own them or have never even seen either in person. I've driven both and own the 4.0. I had been a BIG fan of the 997 gt platform and bought the 4.0 w/out any time behind the wheel jn one. A good friend and equally insane Porsche nut was with me when I took delivery. The first drive did NOT disappoint relative to expectations. I instantly knew I had made a wise and irreplaceable purchase. The 73rs test drive was kinda "meh, this thing is 80% collector premium and 20% drive experience vs a well sorted T/E/S LH". Not until I bought a CGT did I ever consider the 4.0 could be 2nd place to anything. I'll wait until the newness of the CGT has worn off but it's highly likely the 4.0 stays my 2nd fav Porsche of all time (not a bad place to hold). I had thoughts of selling it once it got knocked off its #1 pedestal (in my mental ranking). But I've since decided against that.

I will drive an R and a 1.2-3 manual at some point. When I do, I'll make a call if the R deserves to be in the same sentence as a 997 4.0 (for me). If it does, I'll probably force myself to sell something and pick up an R. Until then, I respect the feedback from a lot of knowledgeable guys on the R. I don't think it will ever be the Porsche community darling like a 997 4.0. But it must be a hell of a special drive given all the positive feedback on it from those that own it.

Quick Reply: R vs 997 RS 4.0