Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Great story! Welcome!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:45 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by aruisdante
A bit about me, and why I chose a 911 GT3. I'm a software engineer working on autonomous vehicles. Ironic, trying to replace driving and owning a car like this, I know. But my personal belief is that, really, 99.9% of people out there that drive really would rather not be driving, and honestly most of them aren't very good at it. If we make "A to B appliance driving" totally unnecessary, that means that the only cars we'll need to personally own are fun cars like this for people that really want to actually drive. And we rid the road of distracted, unsafe drivers that really would rather be doing anything else but drive. It's a win-win.
Congrats, this must be quite a sight in the Uber parking lot. I must admit I do not share your prediction for the future once autonomous cars are commonplace, drivers may be forced off the road though prohibitively high insurance/legal/registration/etc costs or made illegal. it will be track or private land only, I hope I am wrong but I plan to enjoy the privileges of the open road while we still have them.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:40 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
Congrats, this must be quite a sight in the Uber parking lot. I must admit I do not share your prediction for the future once autonomous cars are commonplace, drivers may be forced off the road though prohibitively high insurance/legal/registration/etc costs or made illegal. it will be track or private land only, I hope I am wrong but I plan to enjoy the privileges of the open road while we still have them.
x2, well said
Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Great car, great story, welcome !
Old 08-22-2018, 10:59 AM
gunnyosu
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations and welcome! Beautiful .2, I am a sucker for SBM as well - recently sold my .1 in SBM here on RL. Enjoy in good health!
Old 09-01-2018, 12:17 PM
HMBGTS
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello to everyone! I'd like to introduce myself, and my new-to-me 991.2 GT3:
They wouldn't have been able to get the normal CPO reconditioning, paintwork, and PPF done in time for the show, and so agreed to let me take delivery with only the CPO recon done, attend the show, then return it to them to finish off the rest, including giving me a loaner to bring back to Pittsburgh from Ohio for a week while they finished the work. Through the whole process they have been very accommodating of my needs, and I've been very happy with the final outcome,
Aruisdante, how happy are you with the PPF done at Beachwood? Can't yet PM evidently, so sorry about posting here, not trying to derail your welcome and story, but curious since I'm about to have a 911 GTS come in there and i'm having them do the PPF before shipping the car out west.

I'm a stickler for wrapping all available edges to make the PPF as invisible as possible, as well as the required paint correction being done before the PPF goes on. Just would like to here how yours turned out given its a recent job.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2018, 01:13 PM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries at all.

The quality is is what I would call “practical.” There are definitely some visible seams, and a couple of very small bubbles, but for a car that I’m going to drive all the time that doesn’t matter to me, and the price was definitely quite reasonable for the quality of work done. The seams that are visible are all very clean, and they’re only in places with complex geometries like the corners of the hood near the windshield where I would expect a template to have them. Also keep in mind that they had a very tight timeline to get my car done.

So, to summerize: if you’re looking for show quality work with every seam hidden, not gonna get it. But if you’re looking for quality work at a reasonable price for protection while driving, then definitely satisfied. It was about $2k all in for the full front of the car, including mirrors and door cups. Then about ~1k for ceramic.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:22 PM
HMBGTS
Track Day

Thanks, that helps a lot.

While ill be daily driving it, seams drive me nuts, so I’m thinking I’m better off going with my local team.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:00 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats

But my personal belief is that, really, 99.9% of people out there that drive really would rather not be driving,
This is a common misconception of most software engineers involved in autonomous vehicles...
Old 09-01-2018, 08:58 PM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats! Wonderful write up.

I love SBM GT3s!

Enjoy in good health!
Old 09-01-2018, 11:25 PM
dog bucks
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Congrats

This is a common misconception of most software engineers involved in autonomous vehicles...
YEAH, ACTUALLY IT'S MUCH MORE OF A COMMON MISCONCEPTION OF AUTONOMOUS VEHICLES INVOLVED WITH SOFTWARE ENGINEERS.!
Old 10-10-2018, 10:35 AM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turned over 10k on the odometer this morning on the morning commute (my massive 0.5 mile commute). Still love every minute of it.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:12 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sapphire Blue really nice. Enjoy
Old 10-10-2018, 11:25 AM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Keep racking up those miles!
Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Right on!! 2 months later, how are you enjoying the car?? About to cross 5k miles on mine finishing up a LA->SF->LA road trip

Quick Reply: Introduction, and my new-to-me 991.2 Sapphire Blue GT3