Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 01:17 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It has been well documented on these forums and elsewhere that AP and other members of the GT team were disappointed with the 991.1 RS Ring time. They felt it wasn’t representative of the car’s abilities.
That said, the 991.2 RS time (even with “cheater” tires) is highly impressive. Most importantly, it’s interesting that Porsche was willing to post such a time. It suggests they’re confident the 992 GT cars will be exceptionally capable. It would have been far easier to meet expectations for the 992 if the 991.2 RS posted a 7:05.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,781 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
If we are being 100% honest any good driver with a Spec Miata would give 95% of us a run for our money in any of these cars on track. Ask me how I know. lol
For experienced track guys, that 95% would be closer to 0%. For those who are inexperienced at the track, I suggest riding with someone who's experienced to see what these cars can do.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:27 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89

I posted this in another thread but it bears repeating here:

I have two European friends who just got a .2 GT3 RS; both also owned a .1 GT3 RS.

I asked both how much better the update is compared to the pre-facelift car:

One is a factory driver that I know well: “Uh, the color is different, but that’s about it. Don’t waste your money.”

One is a Piëch family member that I met at Le Mans: “Not so much to be honest; not mind blowing” (that’s verbatim)
Based on my experience, I would agree. The .2 engine, is however, noticeably "better". Nothing a set of long tubes won't fix. A used .1 is a relative bargain.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:54 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by rsierra
Based on my experience, I would agree. The .2 engine, is however, noticeably "better". Nothing a set of long tubes won't fix. A used .1 is a relative bargain.
Just curious, can you put those same long tubes on a .2rs?

Edit: actually I'm just poking. I don't care; it's just the same comments over and over when any new model comes out.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
For experienced track guys, that 95% would be closer to 0%. For those who are inexperienced at the track, I suggest riding with someone who's experienced to see what these cars can do.
Agree with you. But 95% of the posters here are not experienced track guys. Most would be much better off saving the extra money on the slightly faster car and getting lessons instead.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:02 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
There's nothing else to say other than:

Both are eminently qualified to evaluate the car's capabilities
Due to fortunate circumstances, neither are impacted by having to worry about the price of the car, agonizing over spec / delivery, value, being the first one to have one, etc.

I'm not interested in an RS, but I do find it quite amusing that there are (presumed) adults in this thread who have difficulty accepting the above at face value and are anguished as a result
fwiw I don t think an RS is or should be mind blowing per-sè
is just a (perfect) .2 GT3 with gimmicks for track use only but we know the market

anyway i guess Piëch family members don t have to worry about engine warranty nor to pay 200k for a car
thus not living in the reality realm are unable to criticize any reality
Old 08-17-2018, 03:30 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with you. But 95% of the posters here are not experienced track guys. Most would be much better off saving the extra money on the slightly faster car and getting lessons instead.
You forget this is Rennlist. Where everyone needs a rollcage and a harness in their car when they will never hit the track with it.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:42 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by nlpamg
You forget this is Rennlist. Where everyone needs a rollcage and a harness in their car when they will never hit the track with it.
LOL sorry it slipped my mind. Btw, which rollcage and harness do you recommend for my 18-way equipped GT3?
Old 08-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
The fact that the .2RS and the .2GT3 put down the same times with this guy totally invalidates the results as a accurate comparison.

RS: wider track; wider tires, more hp and torque, more aero. No way they throw down equal times.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I don't know the percentage on RL, but agree that there's not much point upgrading to a faster car if someone can't drive the one they have at 9/10ths+. For most people, getting to that point requires many dozens of track days. I think my wife has probably reached the 9/10ths level; if a girl can do it ...

Old 08-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nlpamg

I’m surprised there aren’t more folks discussing the dangers of running a cage and using harnesses on the street.

I know when I put them in my gt4 it was a calculated thought process/ risk. Its a car I push to the near limit on track. A good spin into a barrier could cause some harm if I have my harness on and no HANS.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Buteo
I’m surprised there aren’t more folks discussing the dangers of running a cage and using harnesses on the street.

I know when I put them in my gt4 it was a calculated thought process/ risk. Its a car I push to the near limit on track. A good spin into a barrier could cause some harm if I have my harness on and no HANS.
Really good point, Tyler. This was talked about in another thread and it is a serious concern. Definitely some risk running a cage on the street.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:25 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manifold
I don't know the percentage on RL, but agree that there's not much point upgrading to a faster car if someone can't drive the one they have at 9/10ths+. For most people, getting to that point requires many dozens of track days. I think my wife has probably reached the 9/10ths level; if a girl can do it ...
If a girl can do it...i might be able to do it! Awesome, btw.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buteo

We should distinguish between a roll bar vs full roll cage. A roll cage is generally not a good idea for a car driven on the street. A roll bar adds some risk with street use, but if the roll bar is at least several inches behind the seat, the chance of your head hitting the roll bar in a crash is greatly reduced. We have 6-pt harnesses in our cars, but only use the 3-pt belts on the street, and when using the harnesses on track we always use HANS also.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I have a roll bar now but plan to cage the new one.
Adds risk on the street and will add padding.

Quick Reply: .2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS