Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Yes, or incredibly similar.
20hp (could had been more) comes from the ram air, that has even bigger intake pipes than the .1 rs by the way.
This is incorrect. The engines are rated on an engine dyno with no ram-air. Any ram-air additional power is in excess of the 520hp. Otherwise, the RS would have a different rated power level in each gear (at 8,250 rpm) and would only make 520hp at nearly 200mph. Porsche rates its engines at 0 mph.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Nice review and donuts.

Just returned from a week in the Hamptons. Left on Sat. but had 6 days of sun and no clouds. Looked like the rain continued on Sat/Sun

Enjoy
Old 08-13-2018, 05:57 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
75% of owners will not know if they drive a .1 or .2 RS (as long in disguise).

yes it is stiffer - a bit.
gearbox even better - who thought this would be possible!?
engine better low and mid range torque.
car entertainment not anymore from 2010.
it feels a bit sharper. (rws i guess)

if you drive for the fun and you have to take care about the money --> drive .1

what was said back in 997 days?
the 3.8 is a big enhancement. and the price was not.
now its not that much better - but way more expansive.

for everyone who thinks 20sek or even 30 sec faster on the NOS (without special tires maybe 10 or 15sec) ... it have to be a new car. .... it isn´t.
i think: P kept the .1RS low. (because honestly: it was too low... those 7.20min...) also to justify the .2

i sold my .1 now have .2
its good! but not worth the money "i lost". and for sure not worth the time i lost - time spent on my knees.
for me. personal opinion.
HMMM, nice read.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:03 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
And a few ceremonious hooligan donuts to break in the car haha. My best buds son got a drone and all he wanted was a donuts from above, so we went to a safe empty lot and i gave him some good footage to show his buddies, All in good fun and under safe conditions. No crowds to wipe out into ect ect, besides this isn't my first rodeo..........
What's the issue? That break-in procedure is right in the manual. Page 67.

Seems like from AC's initial review we are left with:
1. Engine has noticeably more low end torque and harder punch the last 2000 rpms to 9000.
2. Suspension is noticeably stiffer and sharper response. Clearly a result of much stiffer spring rates and rose joints all around.
3. PDK is noticeably faster and crisper.
4. Noticeable aesthetic differences . Also can see the front fender vents from the drivers seat now. Cool. Very GT3Rish.

Whether the differences are sufficiently different to be worth it money wise over the .1RS will be an individual determination. But we do know the .2 GT3RS was 24 seconds faster around the Ring. That's significant so these noticeable differences at street level add up to substantial performance deltas on track.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
But we do know the .2 GT3RS was 24 seconds faster around the Ring. That's significant so these noticeable differences at street level add up to substantial performance deltas on track.
That delta is HUGE if accurate. But the accuracy is coming under question, since the .1 may be faster than 7:20, and the .2 may have had grippier tires. I'd like to know the true delta. In any case, the 'ring time for the .2 is mega.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:33 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
That delta is HUGE if accurate. But the accuracy is coming under question, since the .1 may be faster than 7:20, and the .2 may have had grippier tires. I'd like to know the true delta. In any case, the 'ring time for the .2 is mega.
True. I myself feel the .1RS time was not an accurate reflection based on weather alone. However, Mantheys .1RS time was around 7:10. You know their.1RS had all their upgrades. Still a 14 second delta. Significant still.

Last edited by Waxer; 08-13-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

True. I myself feel the .1RS time was not an accurate reflection based on weather alone. However, Mantheys .1RS time was around 7:10. You know their.1TD had all their upgrades. Still a 14 second delta. Significant still.
Yes, 14 seconds is still a lot, though I'd like to know how much of that is from the tires.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:32 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Yes, 14 seconds is still a lot, though I'd like to know how much of that is from the tires.
Tires are always a huge factor but my understanding is PAG ran stock MPSC of current gen.

You can be sure Manthey was also running the best rubber too.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:54 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
75% of owners will not know if they drive a .1 or .2 RS (as long in disguise).

yes it is stiffer - a bit.
gearbox even better - who thought this would be possible!?
engine better low and mid range torque.
car entertainment not anymore from 2010.
it feels a bit sharper. (rws i guess)

if you drive for the fun and you have to take care about the money --> drive .1

what was said back in 997 days?
the 3.8 is a big enhancement. and the price was not.
now its not that much better - but way more expansive.

for everyone who thinks 20sek or even 30 sec faster on the NOS (without special tires maybe 10 or 15sec) ... it have to be a new car. .... it isn´t.
i think: P kept the .1RS low. (because honestly: it was too low... those 7.20min...) also to justify the .2

i sold my .1 now have .2
its good! but not worth the money "i lost". and for sure not worth the time i lost - time spent on my knees.
for me. personal opinion.
Interesting and I have to say, unusually honest opinion as most people are unable to see past their current car as the best thing since sliced bread and will always compare their previous car unfavourably against the current one.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Tires are always a huge factor but my understanding is PAG ran stock MPSC of current gen.

You can be sure Manthey was also running the best rubber too.
I recall hearing something about special rubber for the .2 used on the 'ring lap which is grippier than the regular Cup 2, but could be mistaken.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:01 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recall hearing something about special rubber for the .2 used on the 'ring lap which is grippier than the regular Cup 2, but could be mistaken.
the 3rs definitely used the Cup2 R (that no one can seem to get) for the 6:56 lap not the 'normal' N2.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

.2RS has 20HP more.

I bet that if you bring a .2RS on CUP2 R tires, my .1RS with all the bolt ons straight from the .RS (springs and diffuser) and a few more cheap cheater parts the .1RS is still faster on 19” R7.

Because the cool 20/21” are just to big to get the car low enough and, of course gearing.

Im an sucker for ED and my car is not CPO (I tried) but for the money, get a CPO. 1RS cheap this winter and beat the crap out of it for 4-5 more years under warranty.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:02 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by isv
the 3rs definitely used the Cup2 R (that no one can seem to get) for the 6:56 lap not the 'normal' N2.
Im confident Manthey was running pretty sticky stuff also.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:59 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
i have removed all three mufflers
i have removed the rear section only
i have removed the side cans only............................this is my favorite setup
AC, just out of interest what's the difference between your preferred set up and removing all three mufflers in ur opinion? As it happens this it what I did with my .1 after first putting a SW center delete on but imho I didn't think this made any difference under 4500rpm and so took it off and went for side deletes instead. I was considering the side deletes plus a center straight though delete but just like to get your thoughts on why you kept OEM center instead of removing with sides? Too loud? Thanks, Car looks bloody killer btw.

Last edited by Ducati1199; 08-14-2018 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
AC, just out of interest what's the difference between your preferred set up and removing all three mufflers in ur opinion? As it happens this it what I did with my .1 after first putting a SW center delete on but imho I didn't think this made any difference any 4500rpm and so took it off and went for side deletes instead. I was considering the side deletes plus a center straight though delete but just like to get your thoughts on why you kept OEM center instead of removing with sides? Too loud? Thanks, Car looks bloody killer btw.
For me, removing all three mufflers makes the car undriveable in civilized society. Unless that civilized society has a track without db limits. And you drive your de-muffled GT3/RS only at said track.

Quick Reply: .2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS