Sponsored by:

.2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:51 AM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Love the donut clips! Makes me that much more excited to get my bumble bee RS, but still 2-3 mos away.

I've always just done the xpipe and plugged the flaps open. Maybe I should try removing the side mufflers this time? You kept the stock center?
Yes stock center, i have done both, this is much much better, in my opinion. You shed way more weight and heat dissipation, and the sound is deeper and better (in my opinion)

i have removed all three mufflers
i have removed the rear section only
i have removed the side cans only............................this is my favorite setup
Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Side delete for track
Sharky for best sound.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:33 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

75% of owners will not know if they drive a .1 or .2 RS (as long in disguise).

yes it is stiffer - a bit.
gearbox even better - who thought this would be possible!?
engine better low and mid range torque.
car entertainment not anymore from 2010.
it feels a bit sharper. (rws i guess)

if you drive for the fun and you have to take care about the money --> drive .1

what was said back in 997 days?
the 3.8 is a big enhancement. and the price was not.
now its not that much better - but way more expansive.

for everyone who thinks 20sek or even 30 sec faster on the NOS (without special tires maybe 10 or 15sec) ... it have to be a new car. .... it isn´t.
i think: P kept the .1RS low. (because honestly: it was too low... those 7.20min...) also to justify the .2

i sold my .1 now have .2
its good! but not worth the money "i lost". and for sure not worth the time i lost - time spent on my knees.
for me. personal opinion.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:53 AM
UKPAUL_VG_RS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I can echo AC SATCO's comment's here, it's also re-freshing to see someone who shares my views on the run in procedure.

I will also do a quick fire summary of the main attractions over my .1 GT3 RS
  • Exterior upgrades, sightly tweaked wheels, the F&R PU's (esp. the rear without that horrible large slab of black plastic on the leading edge), NACAs & the protruding wheel arch vents all add up for me.
  • Engine, nothing drastic here but the main attraction is the higher rev limit (1.GT3 Esq.) & the extra, low end torque.
  • Gear-change, wow, feels more & more like a race car, upshifts are nicer but the downshifts are biblical.
  • Interior, nothing hugely different but some nice details - door nets, light carpet, updated PCM etc.
  • Suspension, much firmer but lets be honest, you can't really give much feedback on this until you go all out on the track.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I run .2 spring rates and it’s a big difference.
Quite a bit harder and I have to run the bars full soft front and rear as opposed full stiff.
FWIW.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:56 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
OK OK OK here we go!!!! I put 500 miles on the car this weekend. This will be a "basic b i t c h" review as im not a track rat, but i drive my cars hard and fast and have a good understanding of mechanics, physics, and driving dynamics.

Power....
The .2 is certainly faster. I noticed this most with the low end torque, but also a pleasant surprise was the last 1500-2000 rpms (7k-9k) where i felt the .1 fell flat, this motor seems to pull stronger in those last 2,000..........yes i hit 9k, plenty of times and there's nothing wrong with that, anyone who disagrees can go start another 100th thread about it and whine there. Also if you choose to stay under 5,000 rps and do what you think is a proper break in that is your right. But its hard to find anyone who takes better care of their cars than me and i see nothing wrong with getting the car up to temperature and then working your way up the rpms in the first few hundred miles. Anyways, There is a significant improvement in the motor. Its strange but the intake makes a weird noise i don't recall hearing in my .1, almost like its taking a big gulp of air every time you step on the gas to get going from a dead stop. There were a few pulls up to 170-ish and the car noticeably had more power up there.

Suspension..........
This is where the track guys will have better data soon. To me on the street, whether tooling around town or well into the triple digits everything felt similar. I took a few highway off-ramps that i have grown up taking and know very well at speed (in the soft setting) and the car was as capable as ever, no issues. Again i must point out the capabilities of the car far outweigh my abilities as a driver, but i still take these turns hard and fast enough that i was approaching the grip threshold without going too far.

Brakes.......
Same, perfection. Pedal felt the same, i did some hard braking from triple digits all the way down, nose of the car (im back on suspension partially) was stable, very little squirle-ness, nose dive was minimal, similar to the .1, i do have the ceramics.

PDK-S........
Here is where i personally see the biggest improvement. I'm not sure if this is a software upgrade only, or if any hardware was changed, but the shifts are snappier and more precise than ever. Way different than the .1 to me. Downshifting you can work your way down from 6th to 2nd like a machine gun firing a few rounds, its impressive, best box in the game for sure. The sounds and feelings are just awesome, you can almost close your eyes and think its a cup car downshifting hahah. I can see this box easily working the track all day without a hiccup, just awesome stuff.

Interior........
I dont really care much about the updated PCM but its ok. I never used the one in my last RS, except the radio, and this radio is more of a pain in the as s to navigate so if anything im taking my eyes off the road for a longer amount of time to find a good station blah blah blah. The Weissach touches are nice. I wasn't ordering the WP but if i could in my PTS car i would. Right now its not an option. The louvers on the fenders are now visible from inside the cabin because they flare out. Its a cool touch and certainly makes you feel like you're in a "race car" whilst driving. You can expect all the mechanic noises you'd normally expect form an RS in the cabin. But i already removed my side cans which made the car louder and was a HUGE improvement in the overall experience, i just couldn't stand the artificial flaps that engaged at 4k. now it revs smoothly (sound wise) where you don't hear the sound suddenly engage. But that motor is right behind you with minimal dampening and its a constant reminder you're not in a soft car.

Car came with Dunlops, no complaints yet, but again no track time.

The axle lift no longer makes the whoosh sound when lowering.

I hate black cars (maintaining them, not the way they look) but i love this black/gold combo so much its making me rethink my PTS car.

Again, im not a track rat, and i cant use terms like "turn in" and this and that to tell you how this performs on the track vs the .1, but i have been in and out of every GT3/RS Porsche has released since 2004 and have well over 100,000 miles in them collectively. So i do know just a teeny bit about the car.

Great improvements. Much sharper in every way. Tight as can be. Basically a go kart on steroids.

I am going to the track soon and will come back with more data then. I mean i have to at least track it a few times, or else the Porsche Gods will cast a spell on me. hahah
Sounds like a serious upgrade, and love the donuts lol. But this one change is a deal breaker for me...The axle lift no longer makes the whoosh sound when lowering.

Is nothing sacred anymore?
Old 08-13-2018, 11:14 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
The axle lift no longer makes the whoosh sound when lowering.
Haha.
Was it ever sorted if it's just the RS that got the electrohydraulic front axle lift, or also the GT3.2? The builders are all over the place on nomenclature, some flipping between countries in their descriptions. The US builder states Hydraulic for GT3 and Electrohydraulic for the RS. The German builder states Pneumatic for the GT3, which I guess is accurate?
Old 08-13-2018, 11:35 AM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro

Sounds like a serious upgrade, and love the donuts lol. But this one change is a deal breaker for me...The axle lift no longer makes the whoosh sound when lowering.

lol..............for the right amount of money you can hire me to ride shotgun with you and verbally make the woosh every time you hit the button.............but im expensive
Old 08-13-2018, 11:43 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

lol..............for the right amount of money you can hire me to ride shotgun with you and verbally make the woosh every time you hit the button.............but im expensive
Old 08-13-2018, 11:46 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,719 Likes on 2,690 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Haha.
Was it ever sorted if it's just the RS that got the electrohydraulic front axle lift, or also the GT3.2?
My .2 GT3 makes the whoosh sound, so I guess GT3 has pneumatic and RS has hydraulic...

Maybe this explains why the option is $900 more on the RS than on the GT3.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:20 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review and pics! What side can delete did you go with?
Old 08-13-2018, 01:00 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajag
Great review and pics! What side can delete did you go with?
GMG, i had them from my .1 RS, perfect fit!!
Old 08-13-2018, 04:08 PM
FerchoPorsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

OK OK OK here we go!!!! I put 500 miles on the car this weekend. This will be a "basic b i t c h" review as im not a track rat, but i drive my cars hard and fast and have a good understanding of mechanics, physics, and driving dynamics.
Thanks for taking the time to write the review, very cool ! Good info !
Old 08-13-2018, 04:38 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FerchoPorsche
Are the engines exactly same spec ? (GT3 vs RS in the .2)
Where is the performance gain coming from ?, the extra 20HP... engine mapping or some mechanical ?
Is PDK exactly same as GT3 ?

Any other difference ?
Yes, or incredibly similar.
20hp (could had been more) comes from the ram air, that has even bigger intake pipes than the .1 rs by the way. Pdk is the same, different software, if there is a difference it's miniscule.
RS is all about aero if it's your end point.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:10 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Dude you gotta bring that beast to the track. You'll enjoy it on a whole new level.

Quick Reply: .2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS