Sponsored by:

.2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 05:40 PM
FerchoPorsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I believe Porsche that there is a 20hp advantage for the RS (they don't play games with this spec, unlike some others).
Ya, I didn't mean to say that its not there, just don't know where it is... I also "believe" its mainly intake and perhaps ECU

AP seems to state (5:20
) that engines are same, there are some diff wrt previous Generations.
If its *only* intake and ECU, then the stress is also larger on RS than GT3, which doesn't add up... although engine its rated to 600hp or so (some claims like that maybe even on same video)

The PDK vs. Manual issue is not relevant for the way Porsche rates these motors (on an engine dyno outside the car), though in practice PDK does output less of its power to the wheels (more internal friction with wet clutches). And the ram-air effect is not relevant either (no wind on an engine dyno).
Interesting point about PDK... (Not into that debate about MT vs PDK, love them both, prefer PDK on track -ohhh how love the downshift-)

I'm quite eager to hear from those that have the .2 RS already, how it "feels" under different conditions. (Or ANY condition for that matter )
Old 08-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,532 Likes on 2,578 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
at 8 minutes .2 GT3RS seat time compare
from Hanry Catchpole
https://youtu.be/w0d_AZbSLwQ
I can understand the preference for the GT3 as a road car, but the comparison is flawed. GT3 was manual and had ceramics, vs RS was PDK and had iron. Different roads in different countries, and the reviews presumably not even close to being back to back, so much reliance on fallible memory. Also, neither car tried on track.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
6 56 means something sure

IF only ppl would track their RS but majority
will pretend DD, Broads and Car n Coffee
and i agree with Hanry
. 2 GT3>.2 GT3RS unless you live on the ring

why is everyone so worried on how people use their cars that they paid for with their money? To each his own.

By the way RS is RS and gt3 well just isnt... not on the track... not as a daily.... and not at cars and coffee.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:15 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Oh, my. I just can't win.....

All this time and effort to score an RS at msrp and spec it the way I like it and now it's its....I don't know. this is just not fair!!!!. I'm done! Anyone want my .2 GT3RS? If not it goes out with the recyclables immediately.

This is soooo frustrating.

Alas, that 6:56 seconds at the Ring now means nothing.
I'll swap you my configurable GT3 allocation for your RS allocation 😂

Just get what speaks to you. Don't care about reviews or other people's opinions.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:20 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Just get what speaks to you. Don't care about reviews or other people's opinions.
+1

Old 08-12-2018, 09:09 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I'll swap you my configurable GT3 allocation for your RS allocation 😂

Reacher; it’s no longer an allocation. Its sitting at the port in Emden waiting for a ride . Little does it know it’s being put out for salvage right away . Lol. Poor thing.

Here’s its twin in Switzerland ...obviously higher value there and listed for over $300,000...

Here in U.S. I’m just hoping ShopRite will give me at least what I could get with a kart full of recyclable cans

Reidry: Love your pic btw. Not sure if salvage on LG are more though. I’ll ask when I’m at ShopRite

Last edited by Waxer; 08-12-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:21 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry

+1

Agree
Old 08-12-2018, 09:23 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
.... Also, neither car tried on track.
For what it's worth, Catchpole had run that RS on the Nordschleife. Here:
Old 08-12-2018, 10:34 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FerchoPorsche
Yes, that seems to be his conclusion, did any other owner share the sentiment ?
Henry prefers the .2 GT3 because of the manual gearbox, its as simple as that. For those who dont want a manual, I would be looking elsewhere for buying advice.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:46 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Henry prefers the .2 GT3 because of the manual gearbox, its as simple as that. For those who dont want a manual, I would be looking elsewhere for buying advice.
Henry prefers .2 GT3 because
-has the same .2 GT3RS engine
-a better steering
-a better handling in Broad corners

and a manual

I would add what cant be said in a car test
he can't say that he prefers a .2GT3 over the .2GT3RS because Henry is not
-a car n coffe driver
-a wanna be track driver

Last edited by fxz; 08-13-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:22 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Agreed with Waxer & Reidry!
Old 08-13-2018, 07:55 AM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
AC-Satco should be reporting soon

OK OK OK here we go!!!! I put 500 miles on the car this weekend. This will be a "basic b i t c h" review as im not a track rat, but i drive my cars hard and fast and have a good understanding of mechanics, physics, and driving dynamics.

Power....
The .2 is certainly faster. I noticed this most with the low end torque, but also a pleasant surprise was the last 1500-2000 rpms (7k-9k) where i felt the .1 fell flat, this motor seems to pull stronger in those last 2,000..........yes i hit 9k, plenty of times and there's nothing wrong with that, anyone who disagrees can go start another 100th thread about it and whine there. Also if you choose to stay under 5,000 rps and do what you think is a proper break in that is your right. But its hard to find anyone who takes better care of their cars than me and i see nothing wrong with getting the car up to temperature and then working your way up the rpms in the first few hundred miles. Anyways, There is a significant improvement in the motor. Its strange but the intake makes a weird noise i don't recall hearing in my .1, almost like its taking a big gulp of air every time you step on the gas to get going from a dead stop. There were a few pulls up to 170-ish and the car noticeably had more power up there.

Suspension..........
This is where the track guys will have better data soon. To me on the street, whether tooling around town or well into the triple digits everything felt similar. I took a few highway off-ramps that i have grown up taking and know very well at speed (in the soft setting) and the car was as capable as ever, no issues. Again i must point out the capabilities of the car far outweigh my abilities as a driver, but i still take these turns hard and fast enough that i was approaching the grip threshold without going too far.

Brakes.......
Same, perfection. Pedal felt the same, i did some hard braking from triple digits all the way down, nose of the car (im back on suspension partially) was stable, very little squirle-ness, nose dive was minimal, similar to the .1, i do have the ceramics.

PDK-S........
Here is where i personally see the biggest improvement. I'm not sure if this is a software upgrade only, or if any hardware was changed, but the shifts are snappier and more precise than ever. Way different than the .1 to me. Downshifting you can work your way down from 6th to 2nd like a machine gun firing a few rounds, its impressive, best box in the game for sure. The sounds and feelings are just awesome, you can almost close your eyes and think its a cup car downshifting hahah. I can see this box easily working the track all day without a hiccup, just awesome stuff.

Interior........
I dont really care much about the updated PCM but its ok. I never used the one in my last RS, except the radio, and this radio is more of a pain in the as s to navigate so if anything im taking my eyes off the road for a longer amount of time to find a good station blah blah blah. The Weissach touches are nice. I wasn't ordering the WP but if i could in my PTS car i would. Right now its not an option. The louvers on the fenders are now visible from inside the cabin because they flare out. Its a cool touch and certainly makes you feel like you're in a "race car" whilst driving. You can expect all the mechanic noises you'd normally expect form an RS in the cabin. But i already removed my side cans which made the car louder and was a HUGE improvement in the overall experience, i just couldn't stand the artificial flaps that engaged at 4k. now it revs smoothly (sound wise) where you don't hear the sound suddenly engage. But that motor is right behind you with minimal dampening and its a constant reminder you're not in a soft car.

Car came with Dunlops, no complaints yet, but again no track time.

The axle lift no longer makes the whoosh sound when lowering.

I hate black cars (maintaining them, not the way they look) but i love this black/gold combo so much its making me rethink my PTS car.

Again, im not a track rat, and i cant use terms like "turn in" and this and that to tell you how this performs on the track vs the .1, but i have been in and out of every GT3/RS Porsche has released since 2004 and have well over 100,000 miles in them collectively. So i do know just a teeny bit about the car.

Great improvements. Much sharper in every way. Tight as can be. Basically a go kart on steroids.

I am going to the track soon and will come back with more data then. I mean i have to at least track it a few times, or else the Porsche Gods will cast a spell on me. hahah
Old 08-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

And a few ceremonious hooligan donuts to break in the car haha. My best buds son got a drone and all he wanted was a donuts from above, so we went to a safe empty lot and i gave him some good footage to show his buddies, All in good fun and under safe conditions. No crowds to wipe out into ect ect, besides this isn't my first rodeo..........
Attached Files
File Type: mov
.2donuts1.MOV (696.9 KB, 455 views)
File Type: mov
.2donuts2.MOV (1.46 MB, 299 views)
Old 08-13-2018, 08:02 AM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

And a few pics of my adventures this weekend cheers
Attached Images               
Old 08-13-2018, 08:10 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 549 Posts

Love the donut clips! Makes me that much more excited to get my bumble bee RS, but still 2-3 mos away.

I've always just done the xpipe and plugged the flaps open. Maybe I should try removing the side mufflers this time? You kept the stock center?

Quick Reply: .2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS