Sponsored by:

.2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 06:21 AM
greenhorn
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
Would it be possible for you to post the 2:40.96 lap with a data overlap (like your 991.2 GT3 RS video)?
Unfortunately the laptimer stopped working on that lap, so it's not possible.
Might do a side by side vid with cars synced at the start of their fastest laps later in the week.
I'm glad there was track sanctioned timing available. Racechrono paired to a 10Hz bluetooth GPS works most of the time and usually matches the official times to 0.05 of a second but sometimes it just stops working for no apparent reason.
Not sure why. When I started using it the GPS refresh was a solid 10Hz and these days it fluctuates in the 5-9 Hz area.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:38 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-30-2018, 06:31 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Nice videos and driving greenhorn.

No question .2 RS has a little more power and juicer torque curve, but also no question that .1 RS was woefully undersprung from the factory; this was flagged early on by anyone driving it properly on track.

I’d be interested to see how the .2 RS compares at Spa vs a Manthey .1 RS as this would largely negate suspension differences and yield a truer reading of differences in respective power units.

Nice to see a proper RL discussion for a change....
Just got back from Sebring last weekend running my new to me .1 RS and my friend with his new .2 RS. The .2 power and torque did not visibly manifest itself regards acceleration in straight line speed or out of corners. Pretty much dead even. I think the .2 secret sauce is in the suspension and aero as we repeatedly could not see a any measurable difference in terminal speeds corner to corner. Motor wasn't a discriminator, at least at Sebring. Maybe another track would highlight the difference in torque and hp.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:37 AM
greenhorn
Advanced

I just managed to find the video footage of the fastest .2 GT3RS at the Spa event I attended.
2:36.4 on Pirellis with traffic

After looking at that I think that Cup2Rs can get this car down into the 2:33-2:34 region. Unbelievable.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I’ll have your video on auto reply before I get there
Incredible times...
Old 01-18-2019, 07:55 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice driving Also the traffic was paying attention.. what event was it?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:04 AM
greenhorn
Advanced

granturismoevents.com
Old 09-22-2019, 03:01 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I just did a trackday on a local small track where I am quite fast

I was doing around 1.25.2 best lap with the 991.1 GT3 with Manthey set up and trofeo tyres

With the 991.2 GT3 RS with the aero set for track and MPSC2R tyres I did a best lap at 1.22.6

So yes the new RS is really fast
Old 09-22-2019, 03:52 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxi_z
I just did a trackday on a local small track where I am quite fast

I was doing around 1.25.2 best lap with the 991.1 GT3 with Manthey set up and trofeo tyres
.1 GT3 or .1 RS?
Old 09-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
.1 GT3 or .1 RS?
not rs

but on that track the 991.1 rs was usually not really faster
Old 09-23-2019, 08:19 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Disclaimer: everything below refers to on track performance, if you don’t plan on tracking, either of the cars is amazing and will give you plenty of joy on the road.

I recently managed to drive both .1 RS and .2 RS over two sunny days at Spa.
My initial impressions from driving the cars at Hungaroring (posted earlier in this thread) were amplified to a surprising degree.

I arrived planning to get the .1RS below 2:40.
Before I managed to warm myself up over a couple of sessions in heavy morning traffic I saw a .2 RS post a 2:36.5…
Impossible I thought. Not even on fresh trofeos. He must have gone straight through Eau Rouge.
I anticipated to see the .2 RSs dip into the 2:38s but not 2:36.

That is GT2 territory. With Manthey setups, pro drivers and stuff.

Managed a 2:40.9 in the .1 RS before lunch (on Cup2s).
Thought I could get it in the 2:39s in cool afternoon air without traffic but it became obvious that the .2 RSs are out of reach in terms of ultimate pace. Another .2RS driver posted a low 2:37.

Being lucky enough to be able to do so I decided to see for myself what the fuss was all about. So I jumped into the dunlop equipped .2 RS.
First session,
First hot lap 2:39.0
Second hot lap straight after that 2:37.7…
Drove slowly back to the pits, checked the monitor displaying official timing – 2:37.7
That was on the same tires I used in Hungary – they already had about 2 days of hard running in them and another two days of slower pace driving.
Wing in low downforce position, no alignment, no corner weights. Car was as delivered off the showroom floor.

Spent the second day trying to see if I can catch up to the fastest guys. Traffic was an issue. Ran patiently all day trying not to ruin my tires.
Once traffic cleared after 4PM, I managed to do 3 laps within a tenth of a second around the 2:37 mark.
Two last laps were very high 2:36s.
None of them were perfect. Combined best sectors in racechrono show a theoretical best of 2:36.11… on used dunlops

Now, where do the four seconds come from?

This time around I noticed the difference in stiffness between the cars. The stiffer springs of the .2 keep the car planted at all times, most significantly when you mess up in a corner and want to make a minor correction be it with the brake, throttle or steering.
In the .1 RS any movements once the car is set in a corner result in either oversteer or understeer. The weight transfer on the softly sprung car is too significant.
The .2RS masked my sloppy driving.
Traction control intrusions, once they happen, are more nuanced and subtle. For the first time I thought I could gain some time by switching traction control off.
In the La Source hairpin and bus stop chicane before that I think I could have managed the slight exit oversteer myself. But that would be true for both cars. All the other 120mph+ corners contained my bravery and TC stayed ON at all times.

Straightline speed is very similar, so don’t think much time is made there.
Stability braking into a corner, room for small corrections once in a corner and fast exit are where it’s at.
Shifts are faster, but again it’s not where all the time is gained.

I see myself doing a 2:36.5 in perfect conditions. I don’t see why a competent driver with fresh sticky rubber and clear air couldn’t do a 2:35.

If you’re after laptimes, the two cars are worlds apart.

I’m not sure Porsche intended for the .2GT3RS to be that good

Here’s the 2:36.98 lap
https://youtu.be/MRVq2UsYfnQ

2:40.96 lap in the .1RS
https://youtu.be/NbDf7RqBFYY

Great info - I have generally being finding 2s a minute difference between the two and secondly the front end on the .2RS is significantly improved.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Count me in as another guy who feels no difference between n0, n1, n2.
Agreed, surprisingly little difference in the dry. The later versions seem far better in the wet.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:40 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Disclaimer: everything below refers to on track performance, if you don’t plan on tracking, either of the cars is amazing and will give you plenty of joy on the road.

I recently managed to drive both .1 RS and .2 RS over two sunny days at Spa.
My initial impressions from driving the cars at Hungaroring (posted earlier in this thread) were amplified to a surprising degree.

I arrived planning to get the .1RS below 2:40.
Before I managed to warm myself up over a couple of sessions in heavy morning traffic I saw a .2 RS post a 2:36.5…
Impossible I thought. Not even on fresh trofeos. He must have gone straight through Eau Rouge.
I anticipated to see the .2 RSs dip into the 2:38s but not 2:36.

That is GT2 territory. With Manthey setups, pro drivers and stuff.

Managed a 2:40.9 in the .1 RS before lunch (on Cup2s).
Thought I could get it in the 2:39s in cool afternoon air without traffic but it became obvious that the .2 RSs are out of reach in terms of ultimate pace. Another .2RS driver posted a low 2:37.

Being lucky enough to be able to do so I decided to see for myself what the fuss was all about. So I jumped into the dunlop equipped .2 RS.
First session,
First hot lap 2:39.0
Second hot lap straight after that 2:37.7…
Drove slowly back to the pits, checked the monitor displaying official timing – 2:37.7
That was on the same tires I used in Hungary – they already had about 2 days of hard running in them and another two days of slower pace driving.
Wing in low downforce position, no alignment, no corner weights. Car was as delivered off the showroom floor.

Spent the second day trying to see if I can catch up to the fastest guys. Traffic was an issue. Ran patiently all day trying not to ruin my tires.
Once traffic cleared after 4PM, I managed to do 3 laps within a tenth of a second around the 2:37 mark.
Two last laps were very high 2:36s.
None of them were perfect. Combined best sectors in racechrono show a theoretical best of 2:36.11… on used dunlops

Now, where do the four seconds come from?

This time around I noticed the difference in stiffness between the cars. The stiffer springs of the .2 keep the car planted at all times, most significantly when you mess up in a corner and want to make a minor correction be it with the brake, throttle or steering.
In the .1 RS any movements once the car is set in a corner result in either oversteer or understeer. The weight transfer on the softly sprung car is too significant.
The .2RS masked my sloppy driving.
Traction control intrusions, once they happen, are more nuanced and subtle. For the first time I thought I could gain some time by switching traction control off.
In the La Source hairpin and bus stop chicane before that I think I could have managed the slight exit oversteer myself. But that would be true for both cars. All the other 120mph+ corners contained my bravery and TC stayed ON at all times.

Straightline speed is very similar, so don’t think much time is made there.
Stability braking into a corner, room for small corrections once in a corner and fast exit are where it’s at.
Shifts are faster, but again it’s not where all the time is gained.

I see myself doing a 2:36.5 in perfect conditions. I don’t see why a competent driver with fresh sticky rubber and clear air couldn’t do a 2:35.

If you’re after laptimes, the two cars are worlds apart.

I’m not sure Porsche intended for the .2GT3RS to be that good

Here’s the 2:36.98 lap
https://youtu.be/MRVq2UsYfnQ

2:40.96 lap in the .1RS
https://youtu.be/NbDf7RqBFYY
nailed it! Perfect!
Old 04-28-2020, 09:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Old post, just re-read it and it’s spot on.
I also drove .1RS bone stock at Spa @ 2:40 in 2015 and .2RS bone stock 2:36 in 2019.

Its exactly like that.
Because we had to my been to Spa once when we got there with the .2RS so I only had the muscle memory from 2015.
As soon as we @911rox did a few laps we knew going through the second half of Pouhon? flat after braking into the first half..

Doing the same tracks the .2RS simply eliminates a few corners or can take a gear higher.
Even before I got the .2RS, I had .1RS with adjustable KW MR on it and what struck me was the adjustability of the line or rotation of the car with the suffer platform. OEM .1RS is a bit more like sailing, once you have turn in, there wasn’t much adjusting possible.

I think the .2RS is perfect, almost too perfect.
Never drove a car so nice out of the box, you don’t have to be very advanced to play with the car and balance it through corners.

If you drove a .2RS for an entire day and finished doing a few laps in a .1RS or GT2RS you would feel how good the .2RS is.
Never mind the 997 4.0 clunky old 911 feeling like a 964 still.

Now I’m very curious what the GT4RS will be like with that kind of advanced setup and the same TQ in less weight..
The following users liked this post:
NevB (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 12:27 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Old post, just re-read it and it’s spot on.
I also drove .1RS bone stock at Spa @ 2:40 in 2015 and .2RS bone stock 2:36 in 2019.

Its exactly like that.
Because we had to my been to Spa once when we got there with the .2RS so I only had the muscle memory from 2015.
As soon as we @911rox did a few laps we knew going through the second half of Pouhon? flat after braking into the first half..

Doing the same tracks the .2RS simply eliminates a few corners or can take a gear higher.
Even before I got the .2RS, I had .1RS with adjustable KW MR on it and what struck me was the adjustability of the line or rotation of the car with the suffer platform. OEM .1RS is a bit more like sailing, once you have turn in, there wasn’t much adjusting possible.

I think the .2RS is perfect, almost too perfect.
Never drove a car so nice out of the box, you don’t have to be very advanced to play with the car and balance it through corners.

If you drove a .2RS for an entire day and finished doing a few laps in a .1RS or GT2RS you would feel how good the .2RS is.
Never mind the 997 4.0 clunky old 911 feeling like a 964 still.

Now I’m very curious what the GT4RS will be like with that kind of advanced setup and the same TQ in less weight..
Yeah, I'm very eager for the GT4RS to come out.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:41 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Why GT4 RS if 991.2 RS exists?
Never ever comparable.
The following users liked this post:
Toothengineer (04-21-2021)

Quick Reply: .2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS