Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:13 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Amazing laps and incredibly insightful write up on the difference between the cars. Anyone contemplating the jump from .1 to .2 should read this.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Disclaimer: everything below refers to on track performance, if you don’t plan on tracking, either of the cars is amazing and will give you plenty of joy on the road.

I recently managed to drive both .1 RS and .2 RS over two sunny days at Spa.
My initial impressions from driving the cars at Hungaroring (posted earlier in this thread) were amplified to a surprising degree.

I arrived planning to get the .1RS below 2:40.
Before I managed to warm myself up over a couple of sessions in heavy morning traffic I saw a .2 RS post a 2:36.5…
Impossible I thought. Not even on fresh trofeos. He must have gone straight through Eau Rouge.
I anticipated to see the .2 RSs dip into the 2:38s but not 2:36.

That is GT2 territory. With Manthey setups, pro drivers and stuff.

Managed a 2:40.9 in the .1 RS before lunch (on Cup2s).
Thought I could get it in the 2:39s in cool afternoon air without traffic but it became obvious that the .2 RSs are out of reach in terms of ultimate pace. Another .2RS driver posted a low 2:37.

Being lucky enough to be able to do so I decided to see for myself what the fuss was all about. So I jumped into the dunlop equipped .2 RS.
First session,
First hot lap 2:39.0
Second hot lap straight after that 2:37.7…
Drove slowly back to the pits, checked the monitor displaying official timing – 2:37.7
That was on the same tires I used in Hungary – they already had about 2 days of hard running in them and another two days of slower pace driving.
Wing in low downforce position, no alignment, no corner weights. Car was as delivered off the showroom floor.

Spent the second day trying to see if I can catch up to the fastest guys. Traffic was an issue. Ran patiently all day trying not to ruin my tires.
Once traffic cleared after 4PM, I managed to do 3 laps within a tenth of a second around the 2:37 mark.
Two last laps were very high 2:36s.
None of them were perfect. Combined best sectors in racechrono show a theoretical best of 2:36.11… on used dunlops

Now, where do the four seconds come from?

This time around I noticed the difference in stiffness between the cars. The stiffer springs of the .2 keep the car planted at all times, most significantly when you mess up in a corner and want to make a minor correction be it with the brake, throttle or steering.
In the .1 RS any movements once the car is set in a corner result in either oversteer or understeer. The weight transfer on the softly sprung car is too significant.
The .2RS masked my sloppy driving.
Traction control intrusions, once they happen, are more nuanced and subtle. For the first time I thought I could gain some time by switching traction control off.
In the La Source hairpin and bus stop chicane before that I think I could have managed the slight exit oversteer myself. But that would be true for both cars. All the other 120mph+ corners contained my bravery and TC stayed ON at all times.

Straightline speed is very similar, so don’t think much time is made there.
Stability braking into a corner, room for small corrections once in a corner and fast exit are where it’s at.
Shifts are faster, but again it’s not where all the time is gained.

I see myself doing a 2:36.5 in perfect conditions. I don’t see why a competent driver with fresh sticky rubber and clear air couldn’t do a 2:35.

If you’re after laptimes, the two cars are worlds apart.

I’m not sure Porsche intended for the .2GT3RS to be that good

Here’s the 2:36.98 lap
https://youtu.be/MRVq2UsYfnQ

2:40.96 lap in the .1RS
https://youtu.be/NbDf7RqBFYY
Thats exciting stuff!
It does make sense that Spa is an ideal track for the stiffer setup. I will struggle more at Sebring. Initial impressions are that it will be too stiff.
Im running .2RS spring rates and it’s a lot to deal with over the bumps.

We have one corner only that is smooth and high speed like many at Spa and it is much easier to go flat there now.
But I’m running OEM (tired?) dampers.

This weekend I will try again if my KW MR dampers are installed, even a tiny bit stiffer spring rate but I hope that the dampers can deal with the big bumps better.

And of course all the other programming and setup that work ideally, plus more power, aero etc all add up.
I figured it would be faster for sure at Spa, but I never expected 4-5 seconds.
Very impressive gains considering no special tires.

Thank you for the write up and video uploads!!
Old 10-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Disclaimer: everything below refers to on track performance, if you don’t plan on tracking, either of the cars is amazing and will give you plenty of joy on the road.

I recently managed to drive both .1 RS and .2 RS over two sunny days at Spa.
My initial impressions from driving the cars at Hungaroring (posted earlier in this thread) were amplified to a surprising degree.

I arrived planning to get the .1RS below 2:40.
Before I managed to warm myself up over a couple of sessions in heavy morning traffic I saw a .2 RS post a 2:36.5…
Impossible I thought. Not even on fresh trofeos. He must have gone straight through Eau Rouge.
I anticipated to see the .2 RSs dip into the 2:38s but not 2:36.

That is GT2 territory. With Manthey setups, pro drivers and stuff.

Managed a 2:40.9 in the .1 RS before lunch (on Cup2s).
Thought I could get it in the 2:39s in cool afternoon air without traffic but it became obvious that the .2 RSs are out of reach in terms of ultimate pace. Another .2RS driver posted a low 2:37.

Being lucky enough to be able to do so I decided to see for myself what the fuss was all about. So I jumped into the dunlop equipped .2 RS.
First session,
First hot lap 2:39.0
Second hot lap straight after that 2:37.7…
Drove slowly back to the pits, checked the monitor displaying official timing – 2:37.7
That was on the same tires I used in Hungary – they already had about 2 days of hard running in them and another two days of slower pace driving.
Wing in low downforce position, no alignment, no corner weights. Car was as delivered off the showroom floor.

Spent the second day trying to see if I can catch up to the fastest guys. Traffic was an issue. Ran patiently all day trying not to ruin my tires.
Once traffic cleared after 4PM, I managed to do 3 laps within a tenth of a second around the 2:37 mark.
Two last laps were very high 2:36s.
None of them were perfect. Combined best sectors in racechrono show a theoretical best of 2:36.11… on used dunlops

Now, where do the four seconds come from?

This time around I noticed the difference in stiffness between the cars. The stiffer springs of the .2 keep the car planted at all times, most significantly when you mess up in a corner and want to make a minor correction be it with the brake, throttle or steering.
In the .1 RS any movements once the car is set in a corner result in either oversteer or understeer. The weight transfer on the softly sprung car is too significant.
The .2RS masked my sloppy driving.
Traction control intrusions, once they happen, are more nuanced and subtle. For the first time I thought I could gain some time by switching traction control off.
In the La Source hairpin and bus stop chicane before that I think I could have managed the slight exit oversteer myself. But that would be true for both cars. All the other 120mph+ corners contained my bravery and TC stayed ON at all times.

Straightline speed is very similar, so don’t think much time is made there.
Stability braking into a corner, room for small corrections once in a corner and fast exit are where it’s at.
Shifts are faster, but again it’s not where all the time is gained.

I see myself doing a 2:36.5 in perfect conditions. I don’t see why a competent driver with fresh sticky rubber and clear air couldn’t do a 2:35.

If you’re after laptimes, the two cars are worlds apart.

I’m not sure Porsche intended for the .2GT3RS to be that good
I was quite sceptical that the .2 RS is a 2:36sec car but your explanation and videos are proof enough. Not sure I have that much talent but good to know that there is a whole lot more left in the car to aim for.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:07 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^ +1.

And I should have mentioned the driver, I can take note from Greenhorn
Very good good driver for sure!

That lap looked pretty much on point as far as I am able to tell.
Ill be stoked if I can get close to 2:40!!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Well that pretty much settles it. .2RS is much faster than .1RS. Same driver. Same day.

Congrats and very impressive driving!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:06 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Damn, and look what popped up on my Facebook:
Old 10-01-2018, 11:15 AM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks greenhorn, very informative.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Well that pretty much settles it. .2RS is much faster than .1RS. Same driver. Same day.

Congrats and very impressive driving!
I thought the .1rs was actually faster than .2 if it just had the same/updated tires?
Old 10-01-2018, 12:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I thought the .1rs was actually faster than .2 if it just had the same/updated tires?
Huh? ??
Old 10-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Huh? ??
pretty sure that was a joke...
Old 10-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Huh? ??
Come on, I thought I made that one plenty obvious
Old 10-01-2018, 12:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Come on, I thought I made that one plenty obvious
Lol! I guess I just blame on Monday!
Old 10-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting, thanks. 2.40/2.39 is about where the best guys lap in a .1RS, so it's a very good demonstration of where the .2 has moved on to. Like Chris3963, I would have said a 2.35/6 wasn't possible in a 3RS!

this makes it a lot harder for us in GT2RS not to be embarrassed by a "slower" car!

Edited to add: just watched second video, and it looks exactly how I'd expect a well-driven .1RS to look.
The .2 clearly has more grip - do you think the different tires contribute to this?

Old 10-01-2018, 01:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Is there any reason to believe that the new Dunlop race 2 are a slightly faster tire than the cup2? Maybe 1 second? That might account for some of the very large gap since the .1 was on cup2 and the .2 was on Dunlop
Old 10-01-2018, 02:15 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Drag race time. Let's make sure bm's are synched and same amount of pee in the bladders of two identical twin race pros.

Quick Reply: .2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS