Sponsored by:

.2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
waxxer do you really believe what you type?
its getting exhausted...

"A performance made possible by Michelin and its !!! custom-made !!! Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres."
Hmm..Apparently you’re not getting exhausted from reading what I type so why should I be exhausted from believing what I type? LOL.

I do believe what I type. If I didn’t I’d be a liar 🤥🤪

Like I said... 1 to 2 seconds on an average 2 mile track difference. Which is substantial as far as track times .

Perceptible difference for you guys going to cars and coffee???... minuscule

Isv: Yes very desperate to believe fantasy. You can go back and find my posts all over this form suggesting that the car ran on cup 2 not R tires.... Seriously? Lol.

Last edited by Waxer; 08-22-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:34 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by disden
I think this is typically the sentiment for any mid-cycle refresh; not sure why everyone is getting all worked up this time vs every other time a 9XX.2 version arrives. If I wasn't in a situation to get mine at MSRP and an early build that allowed me to due ED in early fall, I would have kept my current RS and continued to enjoy it for the phenomenal car it is.

HOwever, I think its funny how everyone was bashing the 991.1 RS for "not having a Motorsport derived motor" as this made it somehow an inferior car. Now that the new one does, its apparently nothing special. very finicky people here on RL.
You noticed this too? Oh good...

i thought it was just me believing what I type again or just desperate to believe this because I’m getting a .2 3RS. Whew!

Great point Disden... unless you’re just desperate to believe what you type or because you are getting a new RS like me. 🤪
Old 08-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT3
Here is the Manthey .1 RS doing a 7:09 lap on last year. Perhaps how much faster could it had been with the R tires? -10 seconds? Potential 6:59?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8S229NjIgQI

Makes me wanna pick up a .1 RS instead.
Plenty available. PM me. You can get my old RS for $210k likely. Gorgeous.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:48 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

You noticed this too? Oh good...

i thought it was just me believing what I type again or just desperate to believe this because I’m getting a .2 3RS. Whew!

Great point Disden... unless you’re just desperate to believe what you type or because you are getting a new RS like me. 🤪
Lol, esp funny as the majority of the populace can't tell the difference between the a base 911 with an aftermarket body kit and an RS, let alone the diff between .1 and .2.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:54 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,924 Likes on 2,249 Posts

It's interesting how (some) people can be overtly biased and not realize it, even when it's in writing and pointed out by others.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:27 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ajag
Lol, esp funny as the majority of the populace can't tell the difference between the a base 911 with an aftermarket body kit and an RS, let alone the diff between .1 and .2.
Ajag: your impressions of your .2 3RS were very helpful and insightful especially to us anxiously waiting. 👍
Old 08-22-2018, 12:30 PM
FerchoPorsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some feedback on the .2 RS, can't really compare to .1 RS, but had good seat time on GT3 991.1-PDK (with track alignment and DSC controller), so I'll make some comparisons wrt to that car.
(This long review is for those that are waiting for the car, with the hope it alleviates the agony)

Conditions:
Drove the car from Chicago to California (yes, I was REALLY excited about that)
Tire pressure, exactly what's on the manual : 29/33 (F/R)
Tires MSCP2
Weather, all conditions : Sunny, Cold, Rainy, Pouring, Extremely Hot, Dry, Humid.
Spec (main ones): PCCB, FAL, Aluminum Pedals, extended range tank, Bucket seats.... Black. w/Aurum wheels

I did proper break-in, with oil/filter change around half way.

Driving overall :
The overall feel for the drive is superb, its firm yet compliant. On obscenely bad roads you have to survive it, it does not shine, as expected.
The road noise is significant, its more than GT3. But it is not ridiculous. Since I was driving stretches of 8 hours, I did wear earplugs occasionally, I alternated with noise cancelling headphones. (I prefer earplugs, so I could hear the alarm of another device that I had in the car -that helps in reducing the cost of the experience-). I DID enjoy the drive with naked ears from time to time, the engine sound under acceleration is VERY nice, but at constant speed it gets to you after few hours (any repetitive sound does, you could say).
The bucket seats are AMAZING, I had zero trouble, and I found them very comfortable.... Previous car was 18-way, I must say I prefer the Buckets (18-way is better if you want to rest your head on the seat, but if you lean your head forward a tiny bit -as if you had a helmet- bucket seats are just perfect for me)

Engine sound:
WOW.
It all starts with starting the engine... instant orgasmic experience. It starts the engine with a boost at 2K or so RPM, then it comes down -it stays a tiny bit longer than GT3 and I think higher-. I **believe** they play with the exhaust valves, it sounds real deep at start, can't tell for sure, but I CAN tell is that every time I started the car at the gas stations -and had many of those- it was always a happy time.
There is SOMETHING about the engine sound that inspires confidence, yes, I admit its very subjective, but I don't feel any strain or stress at all.
You feel the engine sound more than the exhaust sound (I'd say it was the opposite the GT3 I was driving). Its a very natural sound, not loud, just strong and solid. I did NOT feel the sound excessive at all, on the contrary, it feels very pleasant. (Can't say the same thing for road noise)
The GT3 was higher pitch than this car.
The upshift is very different (the PDK programming -system?- is very different than reference GT3, more on that later). Under acceleration, and it doesn't need to be all out, just a bit of aggression, the upshift makes like a "pneumatic / semi-explosion" sound that is really nice and contributes to the experience. I LOVE this detail.

Transmission:
The programming (I don't know whether there are actual mechanical differences with .1, I'm guessing there are) is very different.
In Normal mode, the downshifting it seems to "skip" gears to land in the eventual gear you need to be when releasing the break pedal. Most of my breaking was normal road breaking, did a couple of harder ones -nowhere near track level- to try out the downshifting and still feel skips gears, you don't feel traction change on rears nor engine level sound variation (Maybe I need to try other things, my driving was mostly on highways, not lots of breaking.... as I write this I'm hesitating myself )
In PDK Sport, you get the usual rev matching that we all love and praise.... but its, again, different than GT3.1.... its smoother and more precise -in the sense that revs might be matched better and less friction change-.
The upshift is glorious on either PDK mode, being more enjoyable if you are applying good throttle.

Stearing:
Others mentioned this, its "lighter" than GT3. But its absolutely responsive. I'm guessing you'll need to be very progressive and smooth on all your inputs (not just steering).
I **believe**, like others ventured, that it might be toe setting, but it does feel like you need to be very smooth, the car just turns very aggressively. I think I like harder steering feel better, but this is not a problem at all, just a difference in feel and perception. (Don't think it'll affect negatively on the track AT ALL)
Also, I think the programming/steering ratios are different.

Power delivery:
I think I now know why they say the mid-range power is better.... you will feel like a turbo kicking in at around 5.5K RPM.... then again around 7.5K or so. Very different delivery than GT3 of reference, to the point that in one particular turn that I usually take on my joy rides, the car felt like it "jumped" forward, instant smile and usual "out loud WOW".
Did couple of Launch Control on safe and deserted roads, it was awesome. The TC is certainly more permissive than GT3, I had to abort one as the traction difference between R/L was too big and had to fight the steering wheel. Absolutely shocked by the power to the wheels on 2nd and 3rd gear, it did NOT feel like 50HP difference, the power band in higher revs is awesome.

Braking:
Its basically same as GT3, I just feel that it doesn't dive as much, which I love ! (Attributing this to harder suspension).
Very very stable under braking, didn't do race condition, but couple of hard ones made me smile.

Interior:
Its basically the same as GT3, few details here and there (I didn't care much about that, other than looking similar to previous, and it didn't disappoint)
Nice touches I wasn't expecting, again I didn't care about interior, the seat belts, door handle -if you can call it that- are silverish, which matches the stitching .... nice touch. And it has a back up camera, which again I did not expect, but gladly take.
Bose sound system is OK, at low speed it sounds great, you'll have to increase volume due to road noise.
Smells good, different than GT3 (can't describe odor)
Steering wheel feels very nice, its marginally smaller, still good visibility of the dashboard, no interference whatsoever. (I use the steering wheel as high as I can, and seat as low as I can, in those settings and with my height -5'10"- the steering wheel column blocks a bit of dashboard so I go bit lower, so I'm guessing I'm sitting lower than GT3, maybe due to bucket seats ?)

Looks:
I did not expect to look particularly good -its another 911-, but I gladly admit I was wrong, it looks stunning. Very aggressive, very sporty, those wide hips, with the big wing, its just awesome !

Its a fantastic car. (I'm happy I switched from .1 GT3, whether the price difference is worth it, that's a very subjective topic, I think you get a magnificent experience with both, I'm enjoying the current one)

I'll say something else once I have a chance to go to a track that I have reasonable experience already.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:53 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
I have driven both .1 and .2 GT3RS extensively and here is my two cent:

1. If you haven't owned a 991.1 GT3RS and have a .2 version on the way, you will love it! It's an awesome car!
2. If you currently own a .1 version but didn't get the .2 version, don't worry, you are not missing out on anything. Your .1 version is a fine car and the improvement on the .2 is miniscule.
3. If you have a .2 version coming but needs to trade in your .1 version for it, you will be taking a big bath and the $$$ lost is not worth it.
4. If you have a .1 3RS and needs to buy another GT car to satisfy your craving, get the GT2RS, the badass of the current 911 lineup.
I think your analysis is accurate.

I would only add:

#2 For many people, even if the difference is 1% better, it is worth it to them to perpetually upgrade to the next version.
#3 Many have martinized their .1RS therefore their only delta is the starting MSRP of the RS between .1 and .2 which is $12K. Peanuts for the non working, i.e., all, RL.

Last edited by mass27; 08-22-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:55 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
I have driven both .1 and .2 GT3RS extensively and here is my two cent:

1. If you haven't owned a 991.1 GT3RS and have a .2 version on the way, you will love it! It's an awesome car!
2. If you currently own a .1 version but didn't get the .2 version, don't worry, you are not missing out on anything. Your .1 version is a fine car and the improvement on the .2 is miniscule.
3. If you have a .2 version coming but needs to trade in your .1 version for it, you will be taking a big bath and the $$$ lost is not worth it.
4. If you have a .1 3RS and needs to buy another GT car to satisfy your craving, get the GT2RS, the badass of the current 911 lineup.
Nice summary, makes sense to me as someone with no horse in this race
Old 08-22-2018, 01:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

I would get a new one even if identical because warranty.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:20 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Here is the Manthey .1 RS doing a 7:09 lap on last year. Perhaps how much faster could it had been with the R tires? -10 seconds? Potential 6:59?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8S229NjIgQI

Makes me wanna pick up a .1 RS instead.
What's the delta between .2 rs with cup 2 vs cup r? Regardless, idk about the 10 seconds, but it just needs to save 4 seconds to match the lap of the 991.2 rs.
Sportauto did:
7.05,41 991.2 gt3 rs (i guess cup r + faster track)
7.09,59 991.1 gt3 rs mr (trofeo r)

Old 08-22-2018, 01:22 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I would get a new one even if identical because warranty.
i saw a couple of 2018 registered 991.1 rs registered here in europe, usa might have them as well too. Plus isn't extended warranty available in usa?
Old 08-22-2018, 01:30 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
What's the delta between .2 rs with cup 2 vs cup r? Regardless, idk about the 10 seconds, but it just needs to save 4 seconds to match the lap of the 991.2 rs.
Sportauto did:
I thought that 991.1 RS MR in the video ran on ran the 7:09 on PSC2, not trofeo or R, no?:

Old 08-22-2018, 02:01 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Sportauto did:
.2 should be about 6 to 8 seconds slower on the Cup 2's than the R's, so 7.02 -7,04 ish.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:48 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Ajag had a very good seat of the pants comparison from having driven both. There are apparently noticeable differences in power delivery, ride, suspension stiffness PDK quickness and sound according to him.

There is is no doubt the .2 is a step on from the .1 based on specs alone. Whether you as opposed to someone else will find them noticeable to whatever degree will vary I guess.

Quick Reply: .2GT3RS driving impressions vs .1GT3RS