997c2sla
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about PDK in sport vs normal mode 991 GT3

Hello,

just picked up my GT3 yesterday.
I read forum and found this:

PDK SPORT mode
An even sportier PDK mode is activated by pressing the “PDK SPORT” button in the
center console. In this mode, the PDK has modified shift maps in selector-lever position
“D” which have been adapted to meet the requirements associated with driving
the vehicle on race circuits. As a result of the change in the shifting characteristic
curves, the shift map is moved towards higher engine speeds. This means that the
engaged gear is held longer and the next-higher gear is only selected at higher
engine speeds.
Race circuit tuning does not allow “back-adaptation” of the shift map for a moderately
sporty driving style in PDK SPORT mode. As a result, a higher tractive force potential
is available at all times, without changing gear. If the driver requests maximum acceleration
(full throttle up to the rev limit) in PDK SPORT mode, engine interventions are
prevented during an upshift for a sporty, comfortable gear change. This means that
the engine is operated at full power even during the gear change and as a result, the
dynamic torque enhancement during gear changes is once again noticeably reinforced

In addition to the above, unlike in the default mode, in PDK Sport mode the gearbox will not kick down to a lower gear when you floor the throttle.

I am particularly interested in this last sentence.
I used to have a 991 PDK before the GT3 and when I activated sport mode, the car would kick down to a lower gear when I used to floor the throttle.
Now on the GT3 this happens if you are in normal mode but not in sport mode.
Why is that?

Drove this morning to work and in stop and go traffic the transmission it is not the smoother especially in sport mode lol.
I guess I will have to go full manual mode and change gears with the paddle shifters.

Your input is, as always, very much appreciated.

Toni
Old 08-10-2018, 01:49 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If you think about it from a track perspective, a kickdown to a lower gear (or 2, 3 gears) would unsettle the car, especially if you are in a turn. So I think the sport mode, which is for the track, is designed to not do that. It is about being in the optimal gear while not throwing off the balance. On the street I pretty much drive in manual mode, using the shifter or the paddles based on how i feel that moment. If I am aggressively driving the twisties, two hands on the wheel. Just having a little fun, probably use the shifter. It feels good in your hand. I save the sport mode for the track exclusively, as it really isn't that good for the street imo.
The following users liked this post:
slipaway37 (02-23-2023)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:57 PM
997c2sla
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Rob.
Also thank you for getting us all a 10 year engine warranty along with other fellow rennlist members!

This makes sense.
Do you find the PDK in normal mode smooth in stop and go traffic?
I live in Los Angeles and sometimes the traffic can be brutal
Old 08-10-2018, 01:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by 997c2sla
Thanks Rob.
Also thank you for getting us all a 10 year engine warranty along with other fellow rennlist members!

This makes sense.
Do you find the PDK in normal mode smooth in stop and go traffic?
I live in Los Angeles and sometimes the traffic can be brutal
You are welcome. It was a team effort. The warranty is nice, and I enjoy it too! The car isn't the best in stop and go. A little rough, but not too bad. Those noises and shakes are just part of the character of the car.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:32 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

I find the difference between sport and normal modes to be less distinct in the .2 compared with the .1. Seems more refined and less aggressive somehow. Rarely leave it in the normal mode.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 191 Posts

I have a 991.2 GT3 PDK and constantly alter the PDK settings depending on the situation..If i'm dawdling in town or stuck in slow moving traffic i leave the shifter in Auto normal mode.If i'm driving fast on twisties i always have it in Manual mode, sometimes if i'm feeling really good i'll have it in Manual sport which is the best for fast fun driving.
In Auto normal mode it has economy in mind and shifts up too quickly IMV unless stuck in town or slow traffic..Auto sport mode is for track use only as i find it too aggressive for normal driving..Sometimes if i'm in a lazy mood i'll leave it in Auto normal and somtimes intervene with paddles if i want to alter the driving style..
Its an amazing box and caters for all tastes depending on which mode your in..Sometimes in Manual i'll use the shifter and sometimes i'll use the paddles depending on my mood..
Old 04-15-2019, 07:41 AM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Still a bit unclear..
The PDK Sport differences are easly discernible when in Drive/Automatic mode.
but
is there supposed to be a difference in transmission shift behavior while ‘Paddle Shifting’ with shifter in Automatic/D or shifter in Manual position? ...(besides the rev limiter kicking in at red line in Manual mode vs auto shift at redline in auto mode)

and does the PDK Sport button have any effect while ‘Paddle Shifting’ in Manual mode? I cant feel any difference, yet some posts say that at higher rpms there is supposed to be a stronger kick in shifting......

Can anyone clarify this?
Many thanks in advance

Last edited by yojimbo007; 04-16-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I find the difference between sport and normal modes to be less distinct in the .2 compared with the .1. Seems more refined and less aggressive somehow. Rarely leave it in the normal mode.
I agree. PDK Sport in the .1 was very aggressive but much less so in the .2, to the extent that I'm not certain it adds very much. However the .2 PDK in auto is more sensible than the .1 which would shift to 6th almost immediately in town traffic.
The following users liked this post:
greggmorton (02-24-2023)
Old 04-15-2019, 10:35 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

There is another more basic element to this, fuel economy. Auto manufacturers pay penalties based on their CAFE numbers. While we don’t pay attention to it the GT cars have fuel economy numbers. For PDK cars these are achieved in normal auto mode. Just drive around like that and pay attention to how early pdk shifts up, almost feels like it’s lugging the engine but that is the way to achieve the highest possible fuel economy numbers. Admittedly not the most enjoyable way to drive a GT car.
after trying different configurations for street driving I have settled on;
PDK IN SPORT MODE, sport exhaust button off (it does its own thing anyway), when I need to pass I just pull the left paddle down two gears, then let the pdk finish it off.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:18 AM
smanders
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I try to avoid bumping an old thread, but this question went unanswered here and I had the same question.

Does the PDK Sport button have any effect while ‘Paddle Shifting’ in Manual mode? I cant feel any difference, yet some posts say that at higher rpms there is supposed to be a stronger kick in shifting......

I recently picked up a 991.2 GT3 PDK. I am coming from owning two dual clutch cars over 15 years before this GT3, Nissan GT-R and Evo X MR. I have always treated them as manuals. I paddle shift 100% of the time on street and track. The Evo X MR clutch engagement was significantly stronger when in S-Sport mode. The GT-R will ignore the 2nd shift if you give two quick downshifts if you are in normal mode, but never misses a shift when in "R" mode.

So does the car behave differently when paddle shifting with PDK Sport enabled vs disabled?
Old 02-23-2023, 01:49 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by smanders
So does the car behave differently when paddle shifting with PDK Sport enabled vs disabled?
Nope
Old 02-23-2023, 03:14 PM
arowden86
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone else have an issue where it will not allow you to select PDK sport and says unavailable? I read somewhere it might be from overheating, but I wasn't even driving hard when this happened a few times in my 991.2.
Old 02-23-2023, 03:53 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by arowden86
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone else have an issue where it will not allow you to select PDK sport and says unavailable? I read somewhere it might be from overheating, but I wasn't even driving hard when this happened a few times in my 991.2.
I've never seen it and I've never heard of it before either.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:44 PM
greggmorton
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Nope
For what it is worth, this is not true for the 991.1 3RS.

PDK Sport in Manual at high RPM upshifts does add a bit of 'lunge' during the shift...

I have found this to be very disruptive to the balance of the car during turn exit with some steering input. I prefer to keep PDK Sport off.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:52 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I have noticed no difference in manual mode for pdk sport or normal mode.

Quick Reply: Question about PDK in sport vs normal mode 991 GT3