991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking the GT2RS

Old 08-09-2018, 11:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

^^ That alone is worth $$ because then I'd do it myself, now its just a little too much hassle.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:25 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the shout out Seb! We are thrilled to be paired with ST and expect you to enjoy the setup on track quite thoroughly : )

If anyone has any questions on the ST ceramics, I'd be happy to answer them
Old 08-09-2018, 12:32 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The AP Calipers are not compatible with the ST rotors - wrong sizes. The iron rotors that the AP kit uses are quite light though (whole system almost as light as PCCB without the replacement cost). Not sure the weight of Movit & ST setup....
Are you sure about that Grant? My understanding is that it is just a matter of fitment and proper mounting along with proper pad sizes for them to work with the ST rotors. You can use the ST with the steel factory calipers which are smaller they just have to be fitted properly. I know the AP guys say you can't but I don't think anyone has tried it yet
Old 08-09-2018, 12:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,706 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
Are you sure about that Grant? My understanding is that it is just a matter of fitment and proper mounting along with proper pad sizes for them to work with the ST rotors. You can use the ST with the steel factory calipers which are smaller they just have to be fitted properly. I know the AP guys say you can't but I don't think anyone has tried it yet
I am relying on what I was told by AP reps. No, I haven't tried it...

"The Surface Transforms carbon ceramics will not be compatible with our complete brake kit. There are several reasons why that is the case. OEM-style discs tend to have a very tall radial depth, as does the pad that mates to them. Radial depth means the distance from the inner diameter of the disc to the outer diameter...essentially, the height of the swept area. For example, the iron OEM GT3 discs have a radial depth of 66mm. The PCCB's have a swept area that is 75mm. That is typical. Unlike a proper iron racing rotor, carbon ceramic discs typically do not have an efficient internal vane structure that flows a lot of air. For example, our iron front discs have 84 internal cooling vanes. Implementing such a design on a carbon ceramic disc would be both technically challenging and expensive/labor intensive. The OEM PCCB discs have about half as many, nor do they have the same shape. I'm not 100% certain of the vane design on the Surface Transforms discs, but my hunch is that it is very similar to the OEM in both quantity and shape. Carbon ceramic discs (and their corresponding pads) are usually made to have as much surface area as possible to aid with the radiation of heat. Conversely, our iron racing discs are incredibly efficient, and can be made with a smaller radial depth. In our case, the radial depth is 54mm. AP Racing doesn't have a caliper in its part bin that would run on a disc with a radial depth as large as the OEM setup. Doing so would mean that the caliper was carrying around a ton of unnecessary mass."
Old 08-09-2018, 01:17 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

I am relying on what I was told by AP reps. No, I haven't tried it...

"The Surface Transforms carbon ceramics will not be compatible with our complete brake kit. There are several reasons why that is the case. OEM-style discs tend to have a very tall radial depth, as does the pad that mates to them. Radial depth means the distance from the inner diameter of the disc to the outer diameter...essentially, the height of the swept area. For example, the iron OEM GT3 discs have a radial depth of 66mm. The PCCB's have a swept area that is 75mm. That is typical. Unlike a proper iron racing rotor, carbon ceramic discs typically do not have an efficient internal vane structure that flows a lot of air. For example, our iron front discs have 84 internal cooling vanes. Implementing such a design on a carbon ceramic disc would be both technically challenging and expensive/labor intensive. The OEM PCCB discs have about half as many, nor do they have the same shape. I'm not 100% certain of the vane design on the Surface Transforms discs, but my hunch is that it is very similar to the OEM in both quantity and shape. Carbon ceramic discs (and their corresponding pads) are usually made to have as much surface area as possible to aid with the radiation of heat. Conversely, our iron racing discs are incredibly efficient, and can be made with a smaller radial depth. In our case, the radial depth is 54mm. AP Racing doesn't have a caliper in its part bin that would run on a disc with a radial depth as large as the OEM setup. Doing so would mean that the caliper was carrying around a ton of unnecessary mass."
Yea they told me the same thing, just considering the shape of the standard steel calipers mated to the ST rotors and they seem to work very well. I have no doubt that you would have to change the pad shape from factory. The J hooks for the PCCB are 410mm, not sure what size the Girodiscs are but would be interesting to see what could be mated up together for maximum weight savings
Old 08-09-2018, 03:47 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Slip

Contact the guys at Autoquest for the ST Rotors, here’s a link to their website with the pricing: Autoquest website

The Mov’it guys can be contacted at this link and will be able to help you with pricing for the calipers: Mov’it website

Note it’s the same replacement kit from Mov’it for the OEM PCCB sizing installed on the 991 GT3RS and GT2RS
Congrats
I contacted Movit some days ago and "for suprise" they told me that Movit does not have their own ceramic rotors any more. ST is now thier ceramic rotors supplier.
So my question for you: Why Movit did not offered the full set rotors+calipers+pads ?
Do you have information that some other pads will fit with these calipers?

Old 08-09-2018, 06:48 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

The AP Calipers are not compatible with the ST rotors - wrong sizes. The iron rotors that the AP kit uses are quite light though (whole system almost as light as PCCB without the replacement cost). Not sure the weight of Movit & ST setup....
doesn't st offers ceramic disks for iron calipers? If so they should fit AP calipers.
From what I read the entire setup (calipers and disks) are ALMOST as light as the pccb setup. But to ne honest it's the disks I care about don't really understand the obsession with very lightweight calipers, it's not rotating mass.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,706 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
doesn't st offers ceramic disks for iron calipers? If so they should fit AP calipers.
From what I read the entire setup (calipers and disks) are ALMOST as light as the pccb setup. But to ne honest it's the disks I care about don't really understand the obsession with very lightweight calipers, it's not rotating mass.
The ST rotors are the same for either red or yellow stock calipers (red ones need spacers). The AP calipers work with neither the stock iron nor pccb rotors. They have to use their own J-hook iron rotors that have dimensions designed to work with their calipers (not the same J-hook rotors that can be retrofit to stock calipers).

Calipers are not rotating mass, but they are unsprung mass. Does make some difference...
Old 08-09-2018, 07:01 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
We sure do : ) Our ST discs will fit either the OEM iron calipers with a hardware kit or the PCCB calipers. If anyone has a set of AP calipers, send them over we'll give it a test fit and let you know what you need to run them with ST's
Old 08-09-2018, 07:50 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
We sure do : ) Our ST discs will fit either the OEM iron calipers with a hardware kit or the PCCB calipers. If anyone has a set of AP calipers, send them over we'll give it a test fit and let you know what you need to run them with ST's

John,

Please do this with the AMG GT R ASAP; there are many of us in the future who will be buying ST rotors from you IF the rotors are the same sizes as the PCCBs, and I suspect they are!

Bish
Old 08-10-2018, 09:45 PM
Fast Doc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Seb,
the package looks great especially with matching calipers.
Did you change the brake lines with the upgrade?
Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Brake ****.

Beautiful car BTW!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:24 AM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Doc
Hi Seb,
the package looks great especially with matching calipers.
Did you change the brake lines with the upgrade?
Thanks. We used the standard brake lines at this stage but upgraded the brake fluid.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:07 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Slip

Thanks. We used the standard brake lines at this stage but upgraded the brake fluid.
Congrats
I contacted Movit some days ago and "for suprise" they told me that Movit does not have their own ceramic rotors any more. ST is now thier ceramic rotors supplier.

So my question for you: Why Movit did not offered the full set rotors+calipers+pads ?
Do you have information that some other pads will fit with these calipers?
Old 08-11-2018, 03:40 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Those calipers are the stuff dreams are made of.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Braking the GT2RS