Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade my '18 GT3 (Manual) for '16 RS (500 miles)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

This thread was amazing, refreshing, helpful to the OP, informative.. all the way until page 6.

Can't wait to see what he decides, tough decision for sure. LAVA RS to me is one of the badass cars on the road, and that front-end feels great (on the track). OTOH shifting a manual gt3 is one of the most comprehensively perfect driving experiences I've ever had the pleasure of .. uh.. experiencing.

Difficult choice for sure... the gut feel from driving both will decide I'm sure.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:36 AM
JCN83
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This thread was amazing, refreshing, helpful to the OP, informative.. all the way until page 6.

Can't wait to see what he decides, tough decision for sure. LAVA RS to me is one of the badass cars on the road, and that front-end feels great (on the track). OTOH shifting a manual gt3 is one of the most comprehensively perfect driving experiences I've ever had the pleasure of .. uh.. experiencing.

Difficult choice for sure... the gut feel from driving both will decide I'm sure.
Will report back!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob

It’s pretty hard to keep engine issues ‘close to home’, these cars are driven on track and engine failures, especially repeated engine failures simply cannot be hidden. Even at the highest level of racing, F1, engines issues can’t be hidden...think Honda!!
Exactly.

If anyone knows of such repeated failures just tell us about it. The facts are the facts. If there were problems with the .1RS engine I think it’s fair to say they would’ve surfaced by now and we would have some information about it and with all the “thousands” of.1 RS produced according to some know it all’s here I would expect we would have thread after thread about .1 RS owners complaining of engine failures and problems. The fact is there are none.

As noted above a great many.1 RS are used by their owners as intended at the track including Koblat and Trakcar. As Trackcar cited above he has at least 15,000 track miles on his.1 RS . I’m sure that exceeds any time service requirement for any cup engine . As the old Time Ex commercial said “takes a licking and keeps on ticking “.

Very simply I wish people would stop posting that there was an issue or some design flaw with the .1 4.0L unless they have specific information and reports of failures otherwise is just BS maligning perfectly great motor . Don’t be a CNN reporter.

Redmonkey: I very clearly said I cannot say there weren’t “any” failures With the GT3R in racing as there may have been somewhere at some time, I don’t know.....but what I can say is there weren’t systemic failures due to some design flaw. Big difference. This we would’ve heard about. There were Mezger failures in racing and road use. . Does that mean there was a design flaw with the Mezger? Nope.

I no longer have skin in the game either. It just bothers me when people make up some nonsense to malign a perfectly great motor . Very simply, the .1 4.0L is not the 3.8 L and does not have the issues the early 3.8s had.

Last edited by Waxer; 08-10-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:46 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fxz
Anyone able to answer the above question?
The question has been answered. Not repeating for you.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:19 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

^ i have the answer for you

.1RS engine is too sexy

https://youtu.be/GgU6I4ky9KI
Old 08-10-2018, 02:34 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Don’t confuse that RS engine with me . Lol
Old 08-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I wouldn't trade it. If future value is a consideration, the manual GT3 will definitely be worth more. However, driving pleasure and happiness are super duper important; as a result, you should go with what will ultimately make you happier.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:33 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

No GT3 will be worth more than a same gen RS mt or not. Again, loads of mt GT3s for sale now too.

Universal and inviolate Porsche truth. RS is an RS.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:45 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by JCN83
You guys rock. THANKS for all of the feedback. Very helpful info.

Going to go see it / drive it tomorrow. Still inclined to keep the .2 at the moment. But I don’t have any numbers from dealer yet which could obviously push thoughts one way or the other.

Largest concern at the moment is actually RS performance on the street.

For those that have had both a GT3 and an RS, how noticeably different is the compliance on street? Does the RS feel vastly stiffer? I’ve found the .2 GT3 to be more comfortable than I anticipated (in a good way as I drive the car on the streets more than the track).

I drive my RS daily (for the last month or so) and its a stiff car. The bucket seats sit very low. Not uncomfortable by any means but its what I would expect from a track oriented car. I Dont track. My .2 gt3 manual, I cant say the ride is any less stiff, they are similar but the bucket seats are much more comfortable. They sit a little higher maybe? Not sure what it is, but its easier to get in and out of the .2 gt3 than the .1 RS. This is not to say one is better than the other. They are just different. I enjoy them equally.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
So how many .1RS's were made? Do tell. How many in U.S.?... even more important.

How many .2RS's were made? Do tell. Didn't know they were done making them. How many in U.S?

I do know there is a thread discussing all the .2GT3 mt's for sale,...oh and they are still building them.

Sheesh.
I don't have numbers for you. Don't really care and no time to check.

Both .1 and .2RS are not limited production cars. Both will be produced in abundance in compare to any of my 3 911s.

That means easy to get in my book.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:15 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
No GT3 will be worth more than a same gen RS mt or not. Again, loads of mt GT3s for sale now too.

Universal and inviolate Porsche truth. RS is an RS.
You are basing this on history when both RS and gt3 had MT? Not the case now.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:35 PM
JCN83
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Again, appreciate all of the replies as well as the info on ride quality, etc.

Test drove the Lava RS earlier and it’s a hell of a car...but I’m 99% certain I’ll be keeping my .2 with the MT. I just find so much pleasure in rowing through the gears and the car was my build / my spec. I’ll hang tight and see if I can still track down an allocation for the .2 RS but until then, I’ll enjoy the hell out of this one!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:18 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Another .1RS unsold,
not a surprise thougn...apart for Waxer
Old 08-10-2018, 05:37 PM
hayn911gt3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JCN83
Again, appreciate all of the replies as well as the info on ride quality, etc.

Test drove the Lava RS earlier and it’s a hell of a car...but I’m 99% certain I’ll be keeping my .2 with the MT. I just find so much pleasure in rowing through the gears and the car was my build / my spec. I’ll hang tight and see if I can still track down an allocation for the .2 RS but until then, I’ll enjoy the hell out of this one!
Definitely the right choice!
Old 08-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Another .1RS unsold,
not a surprise thougn...apart for Waxer
but... RS is RS!

Quick Reply: Trade my '18 GT3 (Manual) for '16 RS (500 miles)?