Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   So many manual GT3's for sale (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1087987-so-many-manual-gt3s-for-sale.html)

heaven_inc 08-06-2018 08:28 PM

So many manual GT3's for sale

Is it weird that are so many manual GT3's for sale? eBay has 20 cars for sale (2018 GT3's) with only 5 PDK's. Is there something we are missing or are the manuals not as great as all the hype was?

Even here, so many people are "trading up" their beloved manuals for RS's which IMHO are not THAT much different form a PDK GT3. I mean its essentially the same engine, very few people can really extract the performance difference - so it has to be either the looks, gearbox or the rarity/value of the RS that draws people in...

Any people who traded up to an RS care to chime in?

Between all of the Tourings + Manual GT3's, the PDK may actually end up as a rarer car...

Dr.Bill 08-06-2018 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Easy to explain.
Attachment 1349712

Jimmy-D 08-06-2018 08:42 PM

No mas

robmypro 08-06-2018 08:49 PM

I think a lot of people and dealers spec’d GT3’s with the manual because that was perceived as being the best investment build. I think we will see similar results with PTS. Cars with PTS were rare, so they commanded a premium. Porsche jacks up the cost of PTS, combined with a lot more people getting it, and the arbitrage opportunity is lost. I see the same potential with Weissach.

reacher 08-06-2018 09:25 PM

My friend specced his with a manual because he thought it would be the best for resale. When he got it he couldn't connect with the car because of the transmission, he felt it wasn't a good match for the car so let it go quickly.

Personally I don't care about resale, I'm not flipping the car and I specced it with exactly what I wanted so I could enjoy it. Every time I tell people I have a GT3 coming they ask me "is it a manual"? There's definitely a perception out there that that's the one to get.

Maverick787 08-06-2018 09:31 PM

The engine was designed for PDK, the manual is an after thought because of request.

robmypro 08-06-2018 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by reacher (Post 15195928)
My friend specced his with a manual because he thought it would be the best for resale. When he got it he couldn't connect with the car because of the transmission, he felt it wasn't a good match for the car so let it go quickly.

Personally I don't care about resale, I'm not flipping the car and I specced it with exactly what I wanted so I could enjoy it. Every time I tell people I have a GT3 coming they ask me "is it a manual"? There's definitely a perception out there that that's the one to get.

Spec’ing the car the way you want to enjoy it, unencumbered by thoughts of resale value. That is the ultimate luxury. Maximum enjoyment.

gimp2x 08-06-2018 09:38 PM

The PDK is what makes the car a blast, I value it more than the manual versions

reacher 08-06-2018 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by robmypro (Post 15195943)
Spec’ing the car the way you want to enjoy it, unencumbered by thoughts of resale value. That is the ultimate luxury. Maximum enjoyment.

It's the first time I've been able to spec a 911 exactly how I want it, I'm not going to waste that opportunity speccing it for the next owner! Life is way too short for that.

abiazis 08-06-2018 09:46 PM

The PDK in Manual mode is like the manual without the left foot action....brain still is the connection to the shift change and the car...you can also use the PDK shifter instead of the paddles if he'll bend on dropping your hand off the wheel...new technology hard to beat....it is obvious..

soulsea 08-06-2018 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by abiazis (Post 15195973)
The PDK in Manual mode is like the manual without the left foot action....

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...ps81683d46.gif

robmypro 08-06-2018 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by reacher (Post 15195963)
It's the first time I've been able to spec a 911 exactly how I want it, I'm not going to waste that opportunity speccing it for the next owner! Life is way too short for that.

:thumbup:

NiteCrawlr 08-06-2018 09:53 PM

Wasn't having as much fun in or driving my .1 GT3 as much as I would like and wanted something different so just bought a .2 with a manual. Will see how I feel about it in a few months. If it was either a daily driver (which I would not buy a GT car for) or a dedicated track car, would go PDK for sure. I just really want a fun car for the road with frequent but not hardcore track use. I don't think picking up a .2 GT3 in PDK would have made me feel much different than a .1 PDK. I have a feeling there is a good portion of people who agree with my sentiments and got a manual this time around.

robmypro 08-06-2018 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jarhead32 (Post 15195991)
Wasn't having as much fun in or driving my .1 GT3 as much as I would like and wanted something different so just bought a .2 with a manual. Will see how I feel about it in a few months. If it was either a daily driver (which I would not buy a GT car for) or a dedicated track car, would go PDK for sure. I just really want a fun car for the road with frequent but not hardcore track use. I don't think picking up a .2 GT3 in PDK would have made me feel much different than a .1 PDK. I have a feeling there is a good portion of people who agree with my sentiments and got a manual this time around.

As long as you got the car you wanted that is all that matters. If the PDK wasn’t floating your boat hopefully the manual will. Enjoy it!

ScratchTheItch 08-06-2018 10:00 PM

When I tell people I optioned a PDK, most of their first reaction (these are all non-GT3 owners) is "Oh man, but manuals are the one that will be worth a premium down the road"! Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but it seems too many folks checked the box with the hopes of a better return. I wouldn't be totally surprised if it eventually becomes more difficult to find a PDK than a manual...