Sponsored by:

Question for PCCB owners -

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:31 AM
Jon H
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Question for PCCB owners -

Do you any of you wish you had gone with steel instead of PCCB?

If so, why?
Old 08-05-2018, 11:37 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

No
but ask me again when I have to buy new rotors lol

my only reason for buying them were I can’t stand the dust from irons and I like yellow. That’s pretty much the only personal reason I went with them.

Weight advantage and all that blah race talk is good to
Old 08-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Yes, barrel-to-caliper clearance is greater in the red caliper brakes and the potential for rock jamming is reduced.
After 3 GT cars with PCCBs (and loving them), I ordered Steels on the GT3T. From RL comments the braking distance is the same between Steel and PCCBs, it is the fade that PCCBs have an advantage on.

Also, there are aftermarket options for Carbon/Silicon that rival PCCB performance for far less than $9200.00
Old 08-05-2018, 11:46 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Nope. They are the best brakes you can get on these cars. Lighter. Better performance on track. Zero brake dust. It’s only money.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Personally, I went after Market (ST) due to running cost on 991.

Few years ago, I bought a 997RS, sold the PCCB for $$ and soon enough the yellow calipers were orange.
Pic below was from new to 2 months, 5000 miles mostly track (25 track days).
Anyone seen discoloration at the track with 991?

i had to paint my steel calipers on my 991 after Porsche warrantied One caliper each side ..

Old 08-05-2018, 11:59 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Look great. Stay clean. Excellent stopping/slowing power.

We had a rock get caught early in ownership and it scored the barrel. Bummer - but that’s the way it goes. Wouldn’t change it, but this is a street car (for us) and if we intended to track it we’d probably have ordered steel, or taken off the PCCB and replace with steel for track.

No regrets. Also love the color combo of purple and yellow accents (although I also love purple with red).
Old 08-05-2018, 12:15 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter

Also, there are aftermarket options for Carbon/Silicon that rival PCCB performance for far less than $9200.00
Hi can you list them?
Old 08-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Hi can you list them?
I even started a post on this to gather that exact info
Old 08-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Apex-Monkey
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Personally, I went after Market (ST) due to running cost on 991.

Few years ago, I bought a 997RS, sold the PCCB for $$ and soon enough the yellow calipers were orange.
Pic below was from new to 2 months, 5000 miles mostly track (25 track days).
Anyone seen discoloration at the track with 991?

i had to paint my steel calipers on my 991 after Porsche warrantied One caliper each side ..
I currently have a total 3900miles which include 6 track days ( 550+/- miles), with zero fade in caliper color.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:29 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon H
Do you any of you wish you had gone with steel instead of PCCB?

If so, why?
No more PCCB for me.

PTV can not be turned off and if you track a fair amount you will wear out fronts and rears at similar rate. At 10 k plus per axle just for parts, steel a far better choice.

Sure the lower weight is theoretically better for performance however I suspect fewer than 5% are skilled enough ( including me ) to take advantage of the unsprung weight difference. Further, since these cases are not actually in competitive events why does it matter? Spend the money on tires , pads and safety equipment.

Cheers
Old 08-05-2018, 01:30 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
No more PCCB for me.

PTV can not be turned off and if you track a fair amount you will wear out fronts and rears at similar rate. At 10 k plus per axle just for parts, steel a far better choice.

Sure the lower weight is theoretically better for performance however I suspect fewer than 5% are skilled enough ( including me ) to take advantage of the unsprung weight difference. Further, since these cases are not actually in competitive events why does it matter? Spend the money on tires , pads and safety equipment.

Cheers
Keep in mind that there are now PCCB replacement options that are pretty close to the cost of replacing iron. So you can have your cake and eat it too.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:54 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

If you 'live' at the track, like TRACKCAR then Steel or aftermarket probably make the most sense.

If you're going to drive it spiritedly around town, PCCB are hands down the significantly better option!

If you drive it occasionally, and will do may 3 or 4 events a year.. and not keep the car more than 3 years... odds are you will not be able to wear out the PCCB brakes... and have the great performance on track, around town, and clean wheels and calipers!

For me, I am the latter case... only doing a few PCA/NASA events a year... would never get the benefit of 'going through' Iron Rotor replacements. And frankly... if that's the case.. STILL go with PCCB... and swap with AP Racing for track ownership... swap back to PCCB when selling.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 08-05-2018, 06:25 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I have had both and prefer the unsprung weight advantage of the PCCBs, the rotational mass really has a big effect on the turn in and handling of the car. I love the feel of the steels and find that I use the ABS system more with the PCCBs but I am getting better. I will be switching out to the STs with the RS coming but glad I will have the yellows while in Europe. Everyone has opinions and they are all good to get so you can make an informed decision for yourself. Personally I do feel the weight savings are signif and worth the money but with all the aftermarket options you can find a sweetspot that works for you.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:54 AM
QuickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I recently switched from PCCBs to the AP Racing Radi-Cal setup from Essex. It's lightyears ahead of the PCCB in terms of pedal feel. The fact that the operating costs are lower is nice, but the real motivating factor for me was the feel. On track, the PCCBs felt numb. The AP setup is amazing, and I can easily modulate at the limit.

The lack of dust with the PCCBs is definitely nice, but I don't drive the car enough to worry about the dust as it gets a good cleaning before and after each track event.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:31 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I only go to the track 2-3 times a year and this year I've yet to go, so I would say "no ragerts" on the PCCBs. Spec'd them on my incoming GT3 too. Just too clean and quiet to go back to steelies.

Quick Reply: Question for PCCB owners -