Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel vs. Ceramic Coating...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:35 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

There are few facts ever to be found in the threads on this topic, only opinions. I can offer none on the film as I have no interest in it and have never used it. On the topic of coatings I have used a number of them and have strong opinions. I’ve done OptiCoat Pro Pkus twice and it is awesome. I’ve done OptiCoat GlossCoat once and it was good but only lasted 18 months. I recently tried CQuartz and it was a let down . I would never do it again. I would do the OptiCoat on all future cars.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:00 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Sorry for slight derail, but does anyone here use a PPF or form of PPF on their Windshield??

My car came with some form of a PPF on the whole windshield. It's worked well to keep some hard rock hits from cracking the windshield. But is now nicked up and scratched up and looks bad.

What's the process for removal and can a regular PPF be reinstalled on the windshield?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:15 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Sorry for slight derail, but does anyone here use a PPF or form of PPF on their Windshield??

My car came with some form of a PPF on the whole windshield. It's worked well to keep some hard rock hits from cracking the windshield. But is now nicked up and scratched up and looks bad.

What's the process for removal and can a regular PPF be reinstalled on the windshield?
I had Clearplex on my GT3 for 3 years. By the end of 3 years, it had scratches and visibility was impaired. It did its job, it prevented rock chips and there were impacts that were noticeable I'm glad were on the plastic and not on glass. I decided not to reinstall as cycling $500 or more every 3 years for a car I intend to keep for life will be $5,000.00 for 30 years. That is the cost of replacement.

Moe with GP removed the film on my car at no expense to me with his guys who used a heat gun to remove the film. I suggest you be careful around the mirror. The heat gun managed to destroy the glue that holds the mirror to the windshield so that had to be repaired. Also, note it is very difficult to remove, you'll likely want pros to do it for you. Go back to where you had it installed, perhaps they'll give you the same level of service support and take it off for you gratis. I've never heard of regular PPF for the windshield. There is a new competitor out that is supposed to be better than Clearplex. However, it's warranty if I recall correctly was effectively limited to a few years even though it sounded like lifetime warranty. That's from memory and, it maybe defective.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hfm
I had Clearplex on my GT3 for 3 years. By the end of 3 years, it had scratches and visibility was impaired. It did its job, it prevented rock chips and there were impacts that were noticeable I'm glad were on the plastic and not on glass. I decided not to reinstall as cycling $500 or more every 3 years for a car I intend to keep for life will be $5,000.00 for 30 years. That is the cost of replacement.

Moe with GP removed the film on my car at no expense to me with his guys who used a heat gun to remove the film. I suggest you be careful around the mirror. The heat gun managed to destroy the glue that holds the mirror to the windshield so that had to be repaired. Also, note it is very difficult to remove, you'll likely want pros to do it for you. Go back to where you had it installed, perhaps they'll give you the same level of service support and take it off for you gratis. I've never heard of regular PPF for the windshield. There is a new competitor out that is supposed to be better than Clearplex. However, it's warranty if I recall correctly was effectively limited to a few years even though it sounded like lifetime warranty. That's from memory and, it maybe defective.

Hope that helps.

Nice post. Good point on the $500 per year thing as well.
Sounds like since I have a zero deductible on my comprehensive coverage and I may just need to have it removed or try it myself.
Although State Farm will not pay for "Factory" windshield replacement if there's as aftermarket equivalent avail. Dealing with that right now on my 2016 RAM. It's another $375 out of pocket to get a RAM factory WS with my claim.

Also, I bought this car out of Colorado, so I didn't have the Clearplex installed. I'll have to search the ATL area to see how does it and can remove it.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

How is ClearPlex removed or replaced?
ClearPlex uses a unique adhesive that keeps the film adhered tightly to the windshield, but at the same time the adhesive is not permanent. If ClearPlex needs to be removed for any reason, it can be removed by simply lifting one edge of the film and pulling the film using slow and consistent pressure. Any adhesive remaining on the windshield can be removed with a non-caustic cleaner designed to remove adhesive. New ClearPlex can then be installed on the clean windshield.

https://clearplex.com/faqs/

Old 08-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Update on my ClearPlex. I decided to remove it today and either look for a reasonable installer to replace it, or gamble on replacing the windshield of it gets cracked / chipped badly.

Pics showing the age of my Clearplex.. What you can't see is the numerous nicks which cause horrible rain wiper function and noise.

1/4 of passengers side done

All of it completely off. I took the car out of the heat / sun for a while and it came off easier without the glue / adhesive staying on.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Two quick questions. If i just ppf’d the front (entire bumber, hood, fenders) will it be very noticeable that the front is ppf’d and the rest is not? Just looking at the car 99% of the marks are there. Second, since my car is white, how long before i need to replace it because it yellows? Mooty says 3-4 years, but on a white car partially wrapped?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Two quick questions. If i just ppf’d the front (entire bumber, hood, fenders) will it be very noticeable that the front is ppf’d and the rest is not? Just looking at the car 99% of the marks are there. Second, since my car is white, how long before i need to replace it because it yellows? Mooty says 3-4 years, but on a white car partially wrapped?
I think some companies (including Xpel and others) give a 10 year warranty against yellowing
Old 08-07-2018, 05:09 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG

I think some companies (including Xpel and others) give a 10 year warranty against yellowing
Thanks Grant.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:22 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Say Yes to PPF

Originally Posted by mile2424
Can someone help talk me through he pro’s and con’s of each, which people prefer etc. I believe the Xpel is a clear film protection? How long does it last? Can you still wash and wax like you normally would? The ceramic coating is an application directly on top of the clear correct? Same questions, how long does it last, can you still wash and wax on top of it? Price comparisons on each?
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so how about a video? Check out this video of our newest clear bra, ULTIMATE PLUS.

It's backed by a 10 Year Warranty that covers yellowing, hazing, peeling, lifting, bubbling, and more. Parts AND labor. It doesn't require any special maintenance and you can still wax it. Just be sure not to use any waxes or sealants that contain petroleum distillates such as naphtha or kerosene. You can even have ceramic coatings installed on top of the XPEL film and that is 100% OKAY.

Originally Posted by robmypro
1 - No, there will not be a noticeable difference. If you were to just do the partial hood and fenders then you may notice the line, but as far as the finish of the paint, it wouldn't be noticeably different either.
2 - XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS is warrantied against yellowing. If it were to ever happen, give your installer a call, they'll call us, and we'll replace the film for FREE. This warranty is 10 Years from the date of installation.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:20 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by XPEL
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so how about a video? Check out this video of our newest clear bra, ULTIMATE PLUS.
ULTIMATE PLUS VIDEO

It's backed by a 10 Year Warranty that covers yellowing, hazing, peeling, lifting, bubbling, and more. Parts AND labor. It doesn't require any special maintenance and you can still wax it. Just be sure not to use any waxes or sealants that contain petroleum distillates such as naphtha or kerosene. You can even have ceramic coatings installed on top of the XPEL film and that is 100% OKAY.

1 - No, there will not be a noticeable difference. If you were to just do the partial hood and fenders then you may notice the line, but as far as the finish of the paint, it wouldn't be noticeably different either.
2 - XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS is warrantied against yellowing. If it were to ever happen, give your installer a call, they'll call us, and we'll replace the film for FREE. This warranty is 10 Years from the date of installation.
Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Xpel vs. Ceramic Coating...