991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saying Goodbye to my Golf Blue .2GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,793 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

The higher gross profit % included in the higher price of a Porsche also creates exclusivity, if that's your thing. Beautiful car, but for $155k?
If you want exclusivity, you buy an exotic, not a Porsche. You buy a Porsche for the performance and experience, and they’re worth the money, not overpriced. The high profit margin is a result of engineering excellence - Porsche has earned it.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:20 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

If you want exclusivity, you buy an exotic, not a Porsche. You buy a Porsche for the performance and experience, and they’re worth the money, not overpriced. The high profit margin is a result of engineering excellence - Porsche has earned it.
I don't know about that. GT2 RS is exclusive and an exotic. GT3 is exclusive.

And as far as "they are worth the money, not overpriced" that is completely subjective. Plenty will argue that the cars are overpriced. I mean you can buy many cars at a fraction of the price and still enjoy the performance and experience. Im not arguing that Porsche doesn't deserve its high profit margins - more power to them if they can get it.

But people spend money on what they value, not what they need. Just as someone can say "hey, look at that Patek, its only 55k" someone can do the same about the relative value of a GT3 RS. The best part is that we are free to spend money on things that give us pleasure. Whether its a Porsche or a Patek is irrelevant.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I don't know about that. GT2 RS is exclusive and an exotic. GT3 is exclusive.

And as far as "they are worth the money, not overpriced" that is completely subjective. Plenty will argue that the cars are overpriced. I mean you can buy many cars at a fraction of the price and still enjoy the performance and experience. Im not arguing that Porsche doesn't deserve its high profit margins - more power to them if they can get it.

But people spend money on what they value, not what they need. Just as someone can say "hey, look at that Patek, its only 55k" someone can do the same about the relative value of a GT3 RS. The best part is that we are free to spend money on things that give us pleasure. Whether its a Porsche or a Patek is irrelevant.
GT2 RS is sort of exclusive, but like the 918, the pricing and rarity is the exception rather than rule for Porsche cars.

I don't see the GT3 as exclusive. I see plenty of them at the track. I also see plenty of them at my large local cars and coffee, where people don't pay much attention to them, whereas they pay a lot of attention to Ferraris, Macs, Lambos, and vintage cars.

As far as value, agreed that it's subjective, but what else compares with Porsches at their price points, especially for track use? I'd love to have lots of options, but the GT3 and GT4 strike me as pretty much my only choices for streetable track cars which are fast enough for top run groups, under $150K, and proven to be able to withstand heavy track use.

By contrast, when I compare watches, they all seem to tell me the time about equally well, and beyond that it comes down to their value as jewelry. To my eye, some of the really expensive watches do look really nice, but I'm just not that into jewelry (wear jeans and T-shirt every day to work, not kidding).
Old 08-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

GT2 RS is sort of exclusive, but like the 918, the pricing and rarity is the exception rather than rule for Porsche cars.

As far as value, agreed that it's subjective, but what else compares with Porsches at their price points, especially for track use? I'd love to have lots of options, but the GT3 and GT4 strike me as pretty much my only choices for streetable track cars which are fast enough for top run groups, under $150K, and proven to be able to withstand heavy track use.

By contrast, when I compare watches, they all seem to tell me the time about equally well, and beyond that it comes down to their value as jewelry. To my eye, some of the really expensive watches do look really nice, but I'm just not that into jewelry (wear jeans and T-shirt every day to work, not kidding).
You are typing this is a car guy so your point is valid from that perspective. But take someone who doesn't care about cars and they will say, why do you need a porsche? My Honda has 4 wheels and an engine - all cars drive and get you to your destination.

Yes all watches tell time. But as a watch guy, I will tell you there is history and pedigree with regards to Pateks that I find value in and am willing to pay. Not too many others are. They could care less.

At the end of the day, we pay for things we personally value. You can say that no other car compares to Porsche when it comes to track value but you are a track guy and that is whats important to you. Others may not have the same opinion.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:27 PM
Spend A Buck
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ferraris, Macs, Lambos
Yep. John Q. Public only cares about them.
They would not know the diff between $190K GT3RS vs. $90K Carrera of same MY.
Ultimately depends on whether your purchase is Intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivated.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:30 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they all seem to tell me the time about equally well, and beyond that it comes down to their value as jewelry. To my eye, some of the really expensive watches do look really nice, but I'm just not that into jewelry
Keywords here. These are all your very subjective views.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:32 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

You are typing this is a car guy so your point is valid from that perspective. But take someone who doesn't care about cars and they will say, why do you need a porsche? My Honda has 4 wheels and an engine - all cars drive and get you to your destination.

Yes all watches tell time. But as a watch guy, I will tell you there is history and pedigree with regards to Pateks that I find value in and am willing to pay. Not too many others are. They could care less.

At the end of the day, we pay for things we personally value. You can say that no other car compares to Porsche when it comes to track value but you are a track guy and that is whats important to you. Others may not have the same opinion.
I agree that for road use, some Porsches may not be worth the cost, and a more enjoyable or utilitarian experience can be had with much less expensive cars. I'm among those who've opined that the 991 GT cars are too fast for the road, and a 997 or older may make more sense.

With watches, when you get beyond telling time and care about history, pedigree, and aesthetics, I think you're appreciating them more as art than as functional gear. Nothing wrong with that, and I suppose some people are inclined to look at cars the same way. We just need to be clear about why we like what we like, and are willing to pay what we pay for it.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:46 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it ironic that people are criticizing expensive watches on THIS subforum of all places. Subjective views aside, expensive watches and expensive cars are both unnecessary luxury goods in the grand scheme of things. Your personal preferences dictate how you justify one or the other or both. But 99% of the world would find 100 things to buy before a 50k watch or 200k car.

Look at the words being used to describe Porsche - exclusivity, performance, experience, excellence. These same or similar words can be said about most luxury goods, cars and watches included. To argue otherwise is a little myopic and self-centered IMO.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:51 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnny2five
I find it ironic that people are criticizing expensive watches on THIS subforum of all places. Subjective views aside, expensive watches and expensive cars are both unnecessary luxury goods in the grand scheme of things. Your personal preferences dictate how you justify one or the other or both. But 99% of the world would find 100 things to buy before a 50k watch or 200k watch.

Look at the words being used to describe Porsche - exclusivity, performance, experience, excellence. These same or similar words can be said about most luxury goods, cars and watches included. To argue otherwise is a little myopic and self-centered IMO.
Agree. One cannot claim Porsche is exclusive and yet all watches just tell time. All cars just get you from one place to another if you want to take it that far.

None of this is justifiable from an economic sense. Anyone spending more than 20k on a car or 30 bucks on a watch is just wasting money. But the beauty of it all is that we are free to "waste" our money on things that bring a smile to our faces.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I recently bought my first pricey watch, only ~$5k, so small potatoes here. My wife thought I was nuts. Then, as we're standing at the counter, the guy next to me is buying what he and salesman considered an 'affordable' $30,000 Rolex. Made me feel a little bit better about my purchase, for a couple minutes at least. Lucky for me, I don't really care for the look of a lot of the high dollar watches out there, including the Rolexes, so I've never been tempted. But I can see how others who like them would.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I recently bought my first pricey watch, only ~$5k, so small potatoes here. My wife thought I was nuts. Then, as we're standing at the counter, the guy next to me is buying what he and salesman considered an 'affordable' $30,000 Rolex. Made me feel a little bit better about my purchase, for a couple minutes at least. Lucky for me, I don't really care for the look of a lot of the high dollar watches out there, including the Rolexes, so I've never been tempted. But I can see how others who like them would.
This is where we spend money on things we value. You have no issue spending six figures on a car but 5k on a watch seems excessive.

Nothing wrong with this at all but there is probably some dude with a 5270 Patek driving a BMW 5 series thinking why would I spend anymore on a car?

To each his own.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

… but again, cars do more than sit on your wrist, look pretty, and tell you the time. Some cars are actually better for driving in snow, hauling things, transporting family, driving on track, driving in comfort, reducing fuel consumption, etc. Lots of advanced engineering goes into cars, whereas mechanical watches are basically antiquarian throwbacks. IMO, the analogy between cars and watches fails pretty badly.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:08 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
As long as you are happy that's what matters, it's never about the price! Enjoy your watch in good health But be careful, that is how I started and now it's a full blown addiction

This is where we spend money on things we value. You have no issue spending six figures on a car but 5k on a watch seems excessive.

Nothing wrong with this at all but there is probably some dude with a 5270 Patek driving a BMW 5 series thinking why would I spend anymore on a car?

To each his own.
Too many on here worry about what others think or try to project their perception of value on others. All of these non-essential luxury goods are just that, non-essential luxury goods so if you find value in something go for it regardless of what others think. Life is too short so spend your hard earned money how you please...
Old 08-17-2018, 02:21 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

… but again, cars do more than sit on your wrist, look pretty, and tell you the time. Some cars are actually better for driving in snow, hauling things, transporting family, driving on track, driving in comfort, reducing fuel consumption, etc. Lots of advanced engineering goes into cars, whereas mechanical watches are basically antiquarian throwbacks. IMO, the analogy between cars and watches fails pretty badly.
Completely disagree, but that's the fun of a forum and debating these things

I'm happy to say my Daytona hasn't left my wrist since I bought it, it's gone with me to Europe on my euro delivery, on awesome trips with family, on road trips in my car, work trips, site visits, etc. It's a piece of art that I really enjoy, and also a good reminder for me that time is the most valuable thing in the world. For sure my watch represents something to me much more than simply telling the time otherwise I wouldn't wear a watch since I have my iPhone with me just about everywhere. Also the 4130 movement in my Daytona has changed/been improved by Rolex since it's introduction in the early 2000s and has some cool features like a vertical clutch in the movement along with other technical advancements which I appreciate. Rolex is constantly trying to find innovations and advancements for their products while maintaining the ethos of the brand. Definitely a case of more than what meets the eye. The fact that components, gears, cogs, and jewels can keep time within +2/-2 second accuracy in a day is remarkable to me. And my Daytona has a steel case back where I can't even see the movement, get a Patek with an exhibition display to see the stunning rotor/movement and wow. Incredible.

Anyways, I actually find watches and cars to be birds of the same flock just about. You can go utilitarian with a G-Shock and Prius (and absolutely no judgment there), or you can go for a Rolex and Porsche (my favorite pairing) which represent high quality, durable, well designed premium luxury goods, or you can go Patek and Ferrari for the ultimate luxury experience *in my opinion* .... nothing wrong with those 3 pairs or any combo of any watch or car.

BTW - people driving Teslas have the same mentality about ICE cars
Old 08-17-2018, 02:26 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

The higher gross profit % included in the higher price of a Porsche also creates exclusivity, if that's your thing. Beautiful car, but for $155k?
for those interested in profits:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...stry#src=10000

Quick Reply: Saying Goodbye to my Golf Blue .2GT3