Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you really go unnoticed in a GT3 Touring ?!?

Old 08-01-2018, 01:19 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I took my white Touring to a PCA track event yesterday and it was hilarious how many other Porsche owners, including GT3 owners(!) came up to me and said they were blown away by how fast and aggressive it was, even though they knew its a GT3! It's a proper wolf in sheep's clothing. On the road I get very little attention.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:32 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

As previously stated, I think the color of the car makes a difference. I have a winged GT silver GT3 and it does not attract a lot of attention.

Also, certain brands, I think ,have a more fanatical following. Porsches in general are a bit more under the radar. The car that got the most response when I drove it was a Nissan GTR. VERY enthusiastic fan base.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:36 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
IMO Jack go with what you want, don't worry too much about what others think

I was very close to ticking the Touring pack option for my build for the same reason that I didn't want a car that attracted too much attention (as Im more of an understated guy), and would be just too stressful/too much of an event to simply enjoy the car. But then I said for this kind of money I'm just going to get what I want, and for my first GT car im really happy I went with the "wing", just feels right and adds to that sense of specialness every time I take the car out compared with my C4 or seeing other 911 variants on the road.

So Im new to the GT line but IMO the GT3 has to have the wing. It looks awesome/integral to the entire design of the car for me personally. Also a lava orange touring or Miami blue touring will collect more attention than my GT Silver winged GT3 I would bet

On the other hand if the Touring speaks to you ala the R or because you simply don't like the wing, then thankfully now you have that option
Exactly my thoughts. Well said.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely, just pick a more muted color and not yellow, miami blue, lava or some crazy PTS.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:13 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

nobody notice him anymore
go figure with a gt3
Old 08-02-2018, 03:39 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for all the replies!
I will probably go with my gut feeling on the winged/touring, but maybe a more subtle color for me (is there such a color ?).
Jack
Old 08-02-2018, 10:34 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Here's another way of looking at it. Because you are an understated guy and don't really like the attention, having a GT3 with a wing might bring a positive change to your life. I know I felt like a fish in a bowl when I first got mine, but now I look forward to the occasional interaction with random people, and maybe it has made me a bit more outgoing. I don't find those interactions stressful at all now, but I sort of was dreading them in the beginning. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
Well said & wise words! Totally agree with you

Originally Posted by jackmac
Thanks for all the replies!
I will probably go with my gut feeling on the winged/touring, but maybe a more subtle color for me (is there such a color ?).
Jack
Sounds like a good plan. Just go with your gut

Old 08-02-2018, 11:04 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
IMO the whole attention thing is overblown. I have a red 488 and it doesn’t get that much attention, much less my GT3. Most people just see another 911. Oh, and I am 62 as well.
+1 - Drive like a tool/moron you get attention, doesn't matter what in.

I was driving my 570S the other day and forgot to turn off the stupid auto engine shutdown when you switch sports mode off. Of course I was front row at a set of lights next to a P100D Tesla. I lifted my foot off the gas slightly and the exhaust roared with the enginee starting back up. He looked at me and smiled, so I smiled back. Light goes Green and we both slowly accelerate to 30 mph...I think it was a tie
Old 08-02-2018, 11:09 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
+1 - Drive like a tool/moron you get attention, doesn't matter what in.

I was driving my 570S the other day and forgot to turn off the stupid auto engine shutdown when you switch sports mode off. Of course I was front row at a set of lights next to a P100D Tesla. I lifted my foot off the gas slightly and the exhaust roared with the enginee starting back up. He looked at me and smiled, so I smiled back. Light goes Green and we both slowly accelerate to 30 mph...I think it was a tie
Haha. Fast cars look the coolest going slow on the street.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:16 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Touring gets far less attention than the wing in my experience. Around 1/4 of Porsche drivers clearly know (thumbs up, etc, which I appreciate) along with a smaller percentage of other sports car owners. I probably looks a little low and aggressive to the average driver but around here (Bay Area) it does not stand out. Go elsewhere and you'll get a different reaction- I once overheard teenagers heatedly debating if my 944 Turbo was in fact a Ferrari or not (central Canada).

Of cars I've spent time in I'd rate a red Lamborghini as a 10 for attention getting (people taking cell phone pictures of the car, jockeying for position in traffic and boxing you in for a better look).
A subdued color 918 was a 9, GT3 RS an 8, GT3 and GT4 both a 7.
My black Touring is a 5 on that scale to the casual observer +/- if I just washed it, less than a Turbo and just a half notch more than a base 991.

The result is a very different message received by the audience. From experience I can say that if you're the boss (not me) and you park a red Lamborghini in the work parking lot some employees will take issue, weather they say so or not. A Touring is much less overt, and that results in me using it more often. Also the better rear visibility for cop watch and the lack of a wing to catch attention as I flash by. If I'm doing distance the combo probably results in adding an extra couple mph to my average. Overall personally I much prefer it- it feels significantly more comfortable, but I do have an aversion to attention.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
Gt3 isnt RS
nor does a touring look like vw beetle.
Really not much difference.
There is a huge difference in perception from the general public between a car with a massive wing and one without. The average person probably doesn't even realize the Touring is a GT car just by looking at it, while that wing is a totally different story.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:31 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There is a huge difference in perception from the general public between a car with a massive wing and one without. The average person probably doesn't even realize the Touring is a GT car just by looking at it, while that wing is a totally different story.
True on the wing, but the average person probably doesn't even know what a GT Porsche is wing or no wing. They just think Porsche with a big wing. Must be fast and expensive. And the driver is a douche. Ok last part, may or may not be true lol.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:35 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My neighbor asked what type of car my white winged GT3 was a few weeks after I got it.

"Is that a Scion?"

I mean it says right on the bumper what it is, but I guess if you're not a car guy...hmm. He bought his pre-owned Toyota Camry from a Scion dealer and Scion used to have "flashy" cars for younger people so maybe he thought that's what it was because of the wing. He asked how much I paid for it and I felt bad answering since I knew he was struggling a bit with home payments and stuff so I just said "a lot" with a little chuckle. He asked, "$30 thousand?" Didn't know what to say, I said "a little more" and changed the subject.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
True on the wing, but the average person probably doesn't even know what a GT Porsche is wing or no wing. They just think Porsche with a big wing. Must be fast and expensive. And the driver is a douche. Ok last part, may or may not be true lol.
Point is, they notice and the wing garners way more attention than a non-winged car.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:45 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by shamoo
My neighbor asked what type of car my white winged GT3 was a few weeks after I got it.

"Is that a Scion?"

I mean it says right on the bumper what it is, but I guess if you're not a car guy...hmm. He bought his pre-owned Toyota Camry from a Scion dealer and Scion used to have "flashy" cars for younger people so maybe he thought that's what it was because of the wing. He asked how much I paid for it and I felt bad answering since I knew he was struggling a bit with home payments and stuff so I just said "a lot" with a little chuckle. He asked, "$30 thousand?" Didn't know what to say, I said "a little more" and changed the subject.
Gotta love our daily dealings with middle America.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you really go unnoticed in a GT3 Touring ?!?