Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   GT2RS vs GT3 Cup Car (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1085614-gt2rs-vs-gt3-cup-car.html)

SDGT3 07-30-2018 03:19 PM

GT2RS vs GT3 Cup Car

My GT2RS is scheduled to arrive in about a week. I am trying to plan an event whereby we can compare the 2RS against a GT3 Cup Car (MY 2014). To make the comparison fair and accurate, I have solicited my friend and Pro Platinum Driver Bryan Sellers to do the test in the cars. In trying to find a good venue, I have asked David Murry #DavidMurryTrackDays to give us some time at his event coming up at Road America #RoadAmerica prior to the PCA Club Race. Both cars will be run in stock trim and Tires. I will have GoPro #GoPro cameras attached to both cars and hope to make a good video with interviews before and after. If this is something you would be interested in seeing, spread the word so we can build some support!! Additionally, I would like to say thank you to the following people for helping in trying to get this set up.

David Murry Track Days #DavidMurryTrackDays
The Porsche Exchange #PorscheExchange (for getting me an allocation)
GoldCrest Motorsports #goldcrestmotorsports (Cup Car Preparation)
Additionally, I would like to thank JX2 #JacksonMotorsports for helping in procuring a set of the new Michelin Cup R tires used for the test in Germany

I thought Road America would be the best venue for comparison wherby each car can use its advantage to gain time. The 2RS will have long striaghts for top speed and the Cup will have its corners for handling benefits.

I am doing this solely out of curiosity and have no steak in the game so please hold off on providing comments that may not be viewed as constructive. I am however curious to see what all of your thoughts are on which car will have the best laptime.

Bryan Sellers #BryanSellers (One of the best GT Drivers in the country)

This is not yet official so if you are interested in seeing this happen share and like so we can get everyone on board.

raclaims 07-30-2018 03:51 PM

They are totally different.

Nothing will make a driver happier than a cup car.

Street cars just can't compare...the sequential alone is worth the price of admission on the cup.

brownan 07-30-2018 04:02 PM

My money is on the Cup murdering the 2RS. Shame there isn't a gen 2 991 Cup available. Look forward to hearing the results.

Mika911 07-30-2018 04:10 PM

When you say stock tyres, I assume slicks for Cup and Cup2 for the 2RS. I then predict the Cup to be around 3-4s faster per minute whilst the Cup2 are fresh. The gap will widen after a few laps and after 20 the 2RS will have to cool down.

Great comparison though and on same tyres the difference would be slim over a couple of laps.

shapiroeric 07-30-2018 04:13 PM

Would bet my money on the Cup car....easy win

SDGT3 07-30-2018 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mika911 (Post 15178173)
When you say stock tyres, I assume slicks for Cup and Cup2 for the 2RS. I then predict the Cup to be around 3-4s faster per minute whilst the Cup2 are fresh. The gap will widen after a few laps and after 20 the 2RS will have to cool down.

Great comparison though and on same tyres the difference would be slim over a couple of laps.

I am trying to secure a set of the new CUP R tires from Michelin which may help a bit!

SDGT3 07-30-2018 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by raclaims (Post 15178110)
They are totally different.

Nothing will make a driver happier than a cup car.

Street cars just can't compare...the sequential alone is worth the price of admission on the cup.

PDK is pretty close to sequential and the purpose is not to determine which will make you happier but rather see what is the difference between to Ultimate Track Street Car and a Cup Car.

SDGT3 07-30-2018 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by brownan (Post 15178140)
My money is on the Cup murdering the 2RS. Shame there isn't a gen 2 991 Cup available. Look forward to hearing the results.

I wish I had a friend with a Gen II car but you can probably assume a 1-2 sec difference. I would agree with you about murdering the Street car but at Road America three long straights can mak a 2 sec difference if you are carrying 10-15 mph more. If I can secure the Cup R tires and four wheel steering of the GT2RS, things through the corners may not be so different. Would be interesting even if it can come within 2 seconds.

brownan 07-30-2018 05:39 PM

FWIW, the Cup data already exists. IIRC the Gen 1 991 Cup is in GTC6 in PCA Club Racing. The GTC6 record at Road America is 2.14.151 per Rennpoints (below).

http://www.rennpoints.com/classrecor...GTC6&session=0

Assuming the 2RS doesn't go that quickly, and maybe it will, then it will be interesting to see what it's time compares to. My guess is that it will be in the GT4 Clubsport zone.

Chris3963 07-30-2018 05:43 PM

If you can, I would also suggest you vbox both to see the difference in corner speeds and braking points because thats where the difference will be. While a Gopro video will be interesting, it won't give any imperial data to compare other than the ultimate lap time.

signes 07-30-2018 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by SDGT3
PDK is pretty close to sequential and the purpose is not to determine which will make you happier but rather see what is the difference between to Ultimate Track Street Car and a Cup Car.

I read his comment as being about the experience a sequential gives the driver (really nothing like it), not speed v PDK.
Can't wait to see how his goes. I agree a control tire would be ideal but if not, empirical data as Chris suggests from a VBox or similar would be helpful.

wanna911 07-30-2018 06:11 PM

Road America will be as beneficial to the RS as they get. Not a lot of time spent turning vs going straight. I doubt PCA GTC records will be anything like what Brian Sellers can turn in a Cup Car. You never know the talent level at any given race.

Even still, I'm interested to see the outcome.

Nizer 07-30-2018 08:17 PM

Best comp I could come up with.

Hockenheim
991.2 Cup 1:42.84
991 GT2 RS 1:49.10

Different drivers on different days, don't know what tires GT2 RS was on but probably not Cup R's.

Add 2-3secs at RA for Gen1 vs Gen2 Cup. Drop a few seconds for the GT2 RS on Cup R's, assuming Hockenheim lap wasn't on R's.

Suspect it'll be close but Cup will still win on braking and corner speed.

http://fastestlaps.com/models/porsche-911-gt2-rs-991

P.S. Happy to let Bryan run my Gen 2 cup if you want to pay the vig ;)

hughp3 07-30-2018 10:30 PM

Cool and refreshing thread. Tired of stitching colors... Cup should have motec data capture already? Vbox or aim in 2rs is what you need otw missed opportunity for us data geeks.

TRAKCAR 07-30-2018 10:46 PM

Steve, no MPSC2 R from Michelin Marketing??
”From the track to the street technology”, no?

Originally Posted by brownan (Post 15178382)
FWIW, the Cup data already exists. IIRC the Gen 1 991 Cup is in GTC6 in PCA Club Racing. The GTC6 record at Road America is 2.14.151 per Rennpoints (below).

http://www.rennpoints.com/classrecords/?track=9&class=GTC6&session=0

Assuming the 2RS doesn't go that quickly, and maybe it will, then it will be interesting to see what it's time compares to. My guess is that it will be in the GT4 Clubsport zone.

A GT3RS is more GT4CS speed. My guess is that a GT2RS on R tires and at a high speed track like RA is much faster than that.

Originally Posted by Chris3963 (Post 15178393)
If you can, I would also suggest you vbox both to see the difference in corner speeds and braking points because thats where the difference will be. While a Gopro video will be interesting, it won't give any imperial data to compare other than the ultimate lap time.

+ one on a VBOX in both Steve!

Originally Posted by Nizer (Post 15178682)
Best comp I could come up with.

Hockenheim
991.2 Cup 1:42.84
991 GT2 RS 1:49.10

Different drivers on different days, don't know what tires GT2 RS was on but probably not Cup R's.

Add 2-3secs at RA for Gen1 vs Gen2 Cup. Drop a few seconds for the GT2 RS on Cup R's, assuming Hockenheim lap wasn't on R's.

Suspect it'll be close but Cup will still win on braking and corner speed.

http://fastestlaps.com/models/porsche-911-gt2-rs-991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg6wC8_Il6o

P.S. Happy to let Bryan run my Gen 2 cup if you want to pay the vig ;)

I love this little challenge / experiment! If there is any car that can chase CUP cars it should be the GT2RS.
RA probably plays into the GT2RS cards a bit more then Hockenheim?
And to be fair, CUP cars at DE’s aren’t always Sellers :-)
Very interesting to see weight VS power VS slicks, PDK VS sequentual, RWS, SC, ABS... :thumbup:

Originally Posted by hughp3 (Post 15178959)
Cool and refreshing thread. Tired of stitching colors... Cup should have motec data capture already? Vbox or aim in 2rs is what you need otw missed opportunity for us data geeks.

Hell yes!!