Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

this has become my new favorite thread....cant wait for the results and footage
Old 08-08-2018, 07:06 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
True, however the GT2RS has 52% more horsepower and more importantly 58% more torque which helps everywhere else...should be interesting!! Slicks vs. street tires is certainly an equalizing factor if not the determining factor, given how close many of us expect this to be!
Slicks plays a bigger role than you think.

At my track, Area 27, my little GT4 ClubSport will lap the circuit quicker than my 918, which has more than double the HP.

Road America is a faster circuit still with the longer straights and fast corners, can't quite find good lap times on that track, only time I can find is a 918 lapping it in 2:24. Maybe in a pro hands it will do a 2:19-2:20 or something. For comparison, this past weekend, the winning car in the GT3 Cup do it in 2:11.

A Cup car is almost 1000lbs lighter than a GT2RS, with much better brakes and much stickier tires, in equal hands, the Cup car will be the faster car at Road America than a GT2RS. The GT2RS will do better top speed on the straights but it will have to brake earlier and go around corner slower.

My guess is the GT2RS will turn around 2:16-2:18 laps.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:26 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy

At my track, Area 27, my little GT4 ClubSport will lap the circuit quicker than my 918, which has more than double the HP.

Road America is a faster circuit still with the longer straights and fast corners, can't quite find good lap times on that track, only time I can find is a 918 lapping it in 2:24. Maybe in a pro hands it will do a 2:19-2:20 or something. For comparison, this past weekend, the winning car in the GT3 Cup do it in 2:11.

A Cup car is almost 1000lbs lighter than a GT2RS, with much better brakes and much stickier tires, in equal hands, the Cup car will be the faster car at Road America than a GT2RS. The GT2RS will do better top speed on the straights but it will have to brake earlier and go around corner slower.

Well said and I agree that slicks might be the x-factor / key determinant in this challenge. The Cup’s significant weight advantage (as mentioned earlier), shouldn’t be ignored either. Can’t wait
Old 08-08-2018, 09:50 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Bingo. A factory race car on slicks vs a street car on street tires. I have never seen a direct comparison, but I imagine slicks are at least 6-8 seconds faster than street tires.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would guess the Cup car would be faster. But what about the ABS? I don't think the Cup will have ABS, will it? The Clubsport can brake much later in the zone and I would think that is attributable mostly to ABS. The GT2 RS will have ABS also, but I am sure the swept area is much less.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:12 AM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
I would guess the Cup car would be faster. But what about the ABS? I don't think the Cup will have ABS, will it? The Clubsport can brake much later in the zone and I would think that is attributable mostly to ABS. The GT2 RS will have ABS also, but I am sure the swept area is much less.
So this is what is on the table as of now.

Cup Car will run Michelin Slicks
2RS will be on stock tires but I have requested a set of Michelin Cup Rs for test....could play a huge role.

Cup car is a 2014 so current lap times from last week's IMSA may be a bit aggressive as they are .2Cup with 4.0 motor. Bryan can likely make up that disparity.

Think about how stupid it would be if the 2RS can get down to those times. It is crazy that we can eve contemplate a challenge and yet nobody here dare put their house on the line for certain. Road America is the perfect venue for the 2RS to challenge. I am excited to see it and very happy that others share the same sentiment. This beats all the other threads about ADM, PTS and all the other acronyms we talk about!

Spread the word. We are trying to set date for Thursday August 30th. Time is not yet confirmed. Conference call today with all the PCA, David Murry and Bryan to finalize the schedule. I will keep you posted.

Feel free to share this link. I would like the people helping to get credit for their efforts!!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:17 AM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 63 Posts

SDGT3, David Murry et all - awesome that you are organizing this!!

And as far as predictions...Whoopsy is exactly right...

GT2 RS will be slower than the Cup car everywhere except the second half of any straight.
The Cup car will be faster in braking, turn-in, mid-corner speed, and exit speed.

Net, I am guessing the Cup car will be 2 to 3 seconds faster despite the long straights.

It would be another level of awesome if the GT2 RS had a second set of wheels with Hoosier R7s.
With Hoosiers on the GT2 RS, it could be very much neck and neck with the Cup car.

Looking forward to the outcome!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:53 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Really cool that you're doing this. I'd put my money on the Cup for a number of reasons others have stated, but I'd also add that pushing it in a Cup car is likely more confidence inspiring than the RS (familiarity, stability at speed, full cage, etc.) There have been plenty of comments about how squirrely the 2RS is at the limit. Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but are you going with factory setup for the street car? That by itself could make a bid difference.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:34 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
Cups can have race ABS added, but not sure if they come with it.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:34 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Cup car on slicks (ABS or not and it should be less of an issue with a pro driver who has a lot of experience with the Cup) will be considerably faster imo. Won't even be close (ie say 2 seconds)
Old 08-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, it is starting to sink in - the tires!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:46 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Subscribed, this is going to be excellent! I say 6 seconds advantage to the Cup car.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:28 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Picked up 2RS this morning....Preliminary thoughts..... This car is stupid fast. Feels very stable but speed is so deceiving that it is bound to get you in trouble. Much stiffer than previous 3RS and more composed. Still breaking in and really impressed even at low RPMs. Should be fun. Blow is pick from dealer this morning.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:49 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Beauty. Chalk looks killer on the 2RS. Enjoy.

Still stand by my original prediction on outcome (but happy to be proved wrong).
Old 08-09-2018, 02:05 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Beauty. Chalk looks killer on the 2RS. Enjoy.

Still stand by my original prediction on outcome (but happy to be proved wrong).

We we had our call with PCA yesterday and there is a great deal of enthusiasm for this. Also given what they are looking to produce, there are a great deal of logistics to make it happen and be high quality!! Maybe this can be the start of things to come. Would love to see more testing here on tracks that we all know against cars we all drive!!

Quick Reply: GT2RS vs GT3 Cup Car