GT2RS vs GT3 Cup Car - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

GT2RS vs GT3 Cup Car

 
Old 08-01-2018, 01:02 PM
  #31  
RODOLFO04
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 321
Default

Then you should try a set of hoosiers on the RS

the other way, is like running against you

OLD BOSS ON RUNNING SHOES

BUT YOU WEARING A PAIR OF DRESS Shoes

BECAUSE, that was the way you come into the office

I GUESS THE POINT IS TO LET YOUR OLD BOSS ANYWAYS, isnt it?

Last edited by RODOLFO04; 08-01-2018 at 01:34 PM.
RODOLFO04 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 01:17 PM
  #32  
BK77
User
 
BK77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Central Fl
Posts: 606
Default

So what's the spread, and where do we place our bets?
BK77 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 02:24 PM
  #33  
SDGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
SDGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 455
Default

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I do, however, want to reiterate the purpose of the test. It was toleave the cars in stock trim and run them like you get them.Any changes would alter the results and bring up additional comments. Anyone lucky enough to get a car and smart enough to drive it will likely drive it in stock trim with maybe some safety additions. That said, I have reached out to Michelin to see if we can get a set of Cup R tires which are the tires used for testing in Europe and likely the tire of choice for DE drivers. James (GMG). I value your opinions a great deal because of your experience and you also know Bryan well enough to know his capabilities. The one thing to consider on the issue of braking, is the 2RS has the Big Ceramics which may help it along with ABS. What I am happy to see is all the opinions and Theories with no 100% certainty on the conclusion. Road America lends support to big horsepower which gives the 2RS a fighting chance.
SDGT3 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 03:13 PM
  #34  
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
James-GMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,842
Default

Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I do, however, want to reiterate the purpose of the test. It was toleave the cars in stock trim and run them like you get them.Any changes would alter the results and bring up additional comments. Anyone lucky enough to get a car and smart enough to drive it will likely drive it in stock trim with maybe some safety additions. That said, I have reached out to Michelin to see if we can get a set of Cup R tires which are the tires used for testing in Europe and likely the tire of choice for DE drivers. James (GMG). I value your opinions a great deal because of your experience and you also know Bryan well enough to know his capabilities. The one thing to consider on the issue of braking, is the 2RS has the Big Ceramics which may help it along with ABS. What I am happy to see is all the opinions and Theories with no 100% certainty on the conclusion. Road America lends support to big horsepower which gives the 2RS a fighting chance.
This is really cool comparo as you said, it just opens they eyes to what a street car can do or not do vs a race car.
We actually built a Turbo Cup several years ago and pegged it against the latest Cup car several years ago and tested it at Road America during the PCA weekend and for sure the Turbo Cup took advantage of the long straights out there!
If I can help in anyway, let me know, like I said, Bryan probably prefers a harness bar in that GT2RS as he will be topping out over 170mph (3 different times) before he jams on those PCCB's! :-) And for sure he is a top driver, we banged fenders few times in PWC when I was in the R and he was in the McLaren......don't hold that against him! ;-)
__________________

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group Ö
E: [email protected]
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
James-GMG is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 04:42 PM
  #35  
SDGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
SDGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 455
Default

Originally Posted by James-GMG View Post
This is really cool comparo as you said, it just opens they eyes to what a street car can do or not do vs a race car.
We actually built a Turbo Cup several years ago and pegged it against the latest Cup car several years ago and tested it at Road America during the PCA weekend and for sure the Turbo Cup took advantage of the long straights out there!
If I can help in anyway, let me know, like I said, Bryan probably prefers a harness bar in that GT2RS as he will be topping out over 170mph (3 different times) before he jams on those PCCB's! :-) And for sure he is a top driver, we banged fenders few times in PWC when I was in the R and he was in the McLaren......don't hold that against him! ;-)
Thank you... I may solicit some help as time draws near. I just received word from PCA National that they would like to participate and do a full video and story with an interview of Bryan before and after! I think that is great. Finally we can bring some of these cool comparisons here in the US on tracks where many of the Rennlisters can drive. BTW, do you guys make just a harness bar for the 991? Don't want to go with a full cage a it will be mostly a street car for me but would be good for track days!
SDGT3 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 05:30 PM
  #36  
RODOLFO04
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 321
Default

In that case, with slicks vs rcompund tires

I vote for the cup car

RODOLFO04 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 07:09 PM
  #37  
Kobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Kobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 4,197
Default

Looking forward to this.
Kobalt is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 PM
  #38  
trader247
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
trader247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vegas and the track at Spring Mountain
Posts: 189
Default

Subscribed. Really looking forward to this comparison. Thanks for putting it together.
trader247 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 08:23 PM
  #39  
RSRRacer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RSRRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 1,660
Default

Some of you have referenced the PCA Record lap of 2:14.1 ..... here it is. For a 991.1 car to do the high 2.11 - wow that's hauling the mail and tells me I should try harder!

PS Bryan Sellers is probably 2 secs a lap faster than me at Road America. Maybe more. He is as fast as me at Road Atlanta..... in an old C4 car!

RSRRacer is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 10:34 PM
  #40  
RSRRacer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RSRRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 1,660
Default

Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I do, however, want to reiterate the purpose of the test. It was toleave the cars in stock trim and run them like you get them.Any changes would alter the results and bring up additional comments. Anyone lucky enough to get a car and smart enough to drive it will likely drive it in stock trim with maybe some safety additions. That said, I have reached out to Michelin to see if we can get a set of Cup R tires which are the tires used for testing in Europe and likely the tire of choice for DE drivers. James (GMG). I value your opinions a great deal because of your experience and you also know Bryan well enough to know his capabilities. The one thing to consider on the issue of braking, is the 2RS has the Big Ceramics which may help it along with ABS. What I am happy to see is all the opinions and Theories with no 100% certainty on the conclusion. Road America lends support to big horsepower which gives the 2RS a fighting chance.
IMO There is no street car including new 2RS that has brakes that perform well over a race period than the performance friction brakes on the 991 cup.
RSRRacer is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 10:36 PM
  #41  
TRAKCAR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TRAKCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 26,681
Default

PCCB are as good on the first lap as the last lap.
But we shall find out!
TRAKCAR is offline  
Old 08-02-2018, 12:27 AM
  #42  
RSRRacer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RSRRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 1,660
Default

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
PCCB are as good on the first lap as the last lap.
But we shall find out!
Yes but it's not the rotor that's better it's the caliper and other components. But for this test it prob won't matter.

I say cup car is 4 secs faster.
RSRRacer is offline  
Old 08-02-2018, 12:19 PM
  #43  
SDGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
SDGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 455
Default

Very happy to see the excitement of this. I really enjoy my cars and hope everyone else does. It's a shame that many don't get driven but that is the option of the owner. PCA National has expressed an interest in doing an article on this and will be bringing a video crew and photographers to shoot it. I am happy that we will have professionals involved so that the quality of the event will be better! I am awaiting the arrival of my 2RS which willhopefully be today or tomorrow. Need to get busy putting 1000 miles on it for break in! My son and I will have fun doing it like we did with the 3RS taking turns driving to the Wisconsin border and back.
SDGT3 is offline  
Old 08-02-2018, 04:45 PM
  #44  
Obturate
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Obturate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 276
Default

Originally Posted by brownan View Post
FWIW, the Cup data already exists. IIRC the Gen 1 991 Cup is in GTC6 in PCA Club Racing. The GTC6 record at Road America is 2.14.151 per Rennpoints (below).

http://www.rennpoints.com/classrecor...GTC6&session=0

Assuming the 2RS doesn't go that quickly, and maybe it will, then it will be interesting to see what it's time compares to. My guess is that it will be in the GT4 Clubsport zone.
I wouldn't think a GT4 Clubsport can keep up with a GT2 RS at Road America. The straights are too long and the horsepower difference too large. Just my opinion.
Obturate is offline  
Old 08-02-2018, 04:46 PM
  #45  
TRAKCAR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TRAKCAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 26,681
Default

GT4CS is about the same Laptime as a GT3RS on most fast tracks.
TRAKCAR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT2RS vs GT3 Cup Car


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: