Sponsored by:

GT2RS vs GT3 Cup Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:14 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

Wow, very cool!

Ill have to study to see what corners made the biggest difference.
Was the wing set to max angle on the 2RS?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:39 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Pretty big delta coming out of turn 6 through turn 7, kink, Canada corner, and turn 14 if I am reading correctly. Higher speeds for the GT2 RS at the end of the long straights into turns 1 and 5 as would be expected. Looks like the GT2 RS did well through the carousel. Also looks like braking points were earlier for the GT2 RS?
Old 09-11-2018, 09:27 AM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Wow, very cool!

Wing was at stock setting. Could have used a bit more for carousel and higher speed turns..
Old 09-11-2018, 09:30 AM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
Pretty big delta coming out of turn 6 through turn 7, kink, Canada corner, and turn 14 if I am reading correctly. Higher speeds for the GT2 RS at the end of the long straights into turns 1 and 5 as would be expected. Looks like the GT2 RS did well through the carousel. Also looks like braking points were earlier for the GT2 RS?
GT2RS was ahead going into 5. Braking was a bit earlier for two reason. 1) much higher speeds at end of straight and 2) Bryan's lack of knowing full brake potential on the car in a short test like this. Rotors were glowing red into 5 and 12 so clearly he was on them!
Old 09-11-2018, 10:27 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Wow, very cool!

All of the turns not connected to a long straight are where the big difference in time lies. The reason the GT2 was close to the cup car through the first half of the track is because the first half of the track is nothing but long straights where the GT2 had a big delta in speed over the GT3 Cup. This is huge at Road America. The next half of the track is the twisty bits where the GT3 Cup with new Pirelli Slicks and lower weight could take an advantage over the Trofeo Rs on the GT2.

For braking early in the GT2 I believe this was required because of the delta in speed between the two cars. 14 MPH on each straight is a big difference and would require earlier braking in the car if they had even grip levels and braking ability.

I think this comparison is amazing when you sit down and think about it. The GT2RS is a beast that can lap a track with similar times as a Cup under the right hands. It has to be a blast to drive on the track. Bryan did an amazing job jumping from one car to the other while being consistent with all of his inputs. Big thanks to SDGT3 for making this happen and showing us the data from the two cars.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Carousel to Canada corner can build a lot of speed depending on confidence through the kink. Some (not me) seem to only lift at kink.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:52 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
All of the turns not connected to a long straight are where the big difference in time lies. The reason the GT2 was close to the cup car through the first half of the track is because the first half of the track is nothing but long straights where the GT2 had a big delta in speed over the GT3 Cup. This is huge at Road America. The next half of the track is the twisty bits where the GT3 Cup with new Pirelli Slicks and lower weight could take an advantage over the Trofeo Rs on the GT2.

For braking early in the GT2 I believe this was required because of the delta in speed between the two cars. 14 MPH on each straight is a big difference and would require earlier braking in the car if they had even grip levels and braking ability.

I think this comparison is amazing when you sit down and think about it. The GT2RS is a beast that can lap a track with similar times as a Cup under the right hands. It has to be a blast to drive on the track. Bryan did an amazing job jumping from one car to the other while being consistent with all of his inputs. Big thanks to SDGT3 for making this happen and showing us the data from the two cars.
Well said

The GT2RS really was driven right off the boat..

I am sure Blake had a torx wrench somewhere and I'm sure they could have messed with the sway bars and ride height.
But that wasn't the point for this exercise.

But it would be one hell of a part Deux to get the same driver back and have Goldcrest mess around with the car all day long.
I hope Porsche and Michelin are paying attention to this genius guerilla marketing opportunity and send the same crew over that did the Ring :-).
If not they are idiots.

It would be damn close to the CUP and that CUP is a good CUP and driven very well, the CUP and driver were dialed in as proven by the awesome laps.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,252 Posts

^ On the marketing aspect, another angle is that the fastest street 911 ever, costing $300K+ and having immense power and torque, still can't keep up with a proper 911 race car. Grip trumps power, and you need slicks and race suspension and aero to maximize grip. And of course the race car is safer. I'm not sure that the result helps sell the street GT cars.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:14 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

It looks like the GT2 was within 5-6 seconds, a little more seat time and a track alignment and they are close to even.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
^ On the marketing aspect, another angle is that the fastest street 911 ever, costing $300K+ and having immense power and torque, still can't keep up with a proper 911 race car. Grip trumps power, and you need slicks and race suspension and aero to maximize grip. And of course the race car is safer. I'm not sure that the result helps sell the street GT cars.
Its all about the marketing.
We'll have a standing cute girl listening to the Bose, AC blasting, while sipping and Red Bull..
The CUP driver will be sweating, working hard, locking tires and his eardrums will be ruined. But he won because racecar.

I'll consult on this for free.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:28 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said

The GT2RS really was driven right off the boat..

I am sure Blake had a torx wrench somewhere and I'm sure they could have messed with the sway bars and ride height.
But that wasn't the point for this exercise.

But it would be one hell of a part Deux to get the same driver back and have Goldcrest mess around with the car all day long.
I hope Porsche and Michelin are paying attention to this genius guerilla marketing opportunity and send the same crew over that did the Ring :-).
If not they are idiots.

It would be damn close to the CUP and that CUP is a good CUP and driven very well, the CUP and driver were dialed in as proven by the awesome laps.

Essentially the 2RS had two hands (maybe 3) tied behind it's back. I understand with time limitations they would not have had a lot of time to tune the GT2 but zero adjustments, off the boat street alignment and non optimal tires vs a cup car that undoubtedly had a setup for the particular track is unfair on epic levels. Obviously the tires were unobtanium at the time but the 2RS was still handicapped significantly considering the other factors and still put up a quick time. But even just maximizing a bone stock one is likely to narrow that gap significantly. Especially once the proper tires are available. Even this test isn't a fair representation of a 2RS vs a Cup. The gap will be much smaller.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:23 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Its all about the marketing.
We'll have a standing cute girl listening to the Bose, AC blasting, while sipping and Red Bull..
The CUP driver will be sweating, working hard, locking tires and his eardrums will be ruined. But he won because racecar.

I'll consult on this for free.
And you can drive it to and from the track.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:40 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Essentially the 2RS had two hands (maybe 3) tied behind it's back. I understand with time limitations they would not have had a lot of time to tune the GT2 but zero adjustments, off the boat street alignment and non optimal tires vs a cup car that undoubtedly had a setup for the particular track is unfair on epic levels. Obviously the tires were unobtanium at the time but the 2RS was still handicapped significantly considering the other factors and still put up a quick time. But even just maximizing a bone stock one is likely to narrow that gap significantly. Especially once the proper tires are available. Even this test isn't a fair representation of a 2RS vs a Cup. The gap will be much smaller.
No question a proper alignment, corner weight and ride height adjustment would make a big difference, but still a very impressive performance by the 2RS......we just did this comparison with 2 x 2RS's in the shop and the ride quality and responsiveness between the 2 was quite measurable. Now that Thermal is starting to cool off with the fall weather around the corner, we will do some lap time comparisons for sure to really see what the different setups will translate into regarding lap times.

Again though.....what an awesome comparison!! Well done!!

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Before and After
Old 09-19-2018, 10:32 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.motortrend.com/news/pors...car-contender/

GT2 RS 1:28 at Laguna. I think the 991. 2 cups run 1:26?

Nasty!

Quick Reply: GT2RS vs GT3 Cup Car