ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Subcribed
Old 08-19-2018, 08:11 AM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

I think there is going to be a 6-7 second difference. The exit speed difference between the two and braking are going to be huge factors. The GT2 is not going to be able to overcome that. Sellers will be near that 2:11 easily as he is about as high level of a pro as it gets. I will be shocked if the GT2 breaks under the 2:18 range. There are some GT1 race cars pushing the same type of power on slicks having a hard time being anywhere near 2:15s at Road America. That is seriously cooking around there even with big hp.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:56 AM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be there to see the event.
I view the cup car ahead by 3 seconds to 4 seconds.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:55 AM
AlecG
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

"It is crazy that we can even contemplate a challenge and yet nobody here dare put their house on the line for certain."

I will go on record and "put my house on the line." It's a nice place...11,000 square feet, 12 acres, pond, full outdoor kitchen, patio, pool, sunken lounge area for scotch and cigars...etc.

Not to sound like a d*ck, but I really can't believe people on this forum actually believe a high powered street car has any chance against a true race car?! Blows my mind.

If you guys are having the same race car driver (and I mean someone that can actually drive a cup 10/10) drive both these cars, the delta will be embarrassing for the GT2 RS.

I would love to own the RS...but it "ain't no race car."

A cool test for entertainment purposes but there is def no mystery on the result.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ What else would it be for, besides entertainment?
Have you read this thread.

Congrats on the Estate Mansion.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoD
I think there is going to be a 6-7 second difference. The exit speed difference between the two and braking are going to be huge factors. The GT2 is not going to be able to overcome that. Sellers will be near that 2:11 easily as he is about as high level of a pro as it gets. I will be shocked if the GT2 breaks under the 2:18 range. There are some GT1 race cars pushing the same type of power on slicks having a hard time being anywhere near 2:15s at Road America. That is seriously cooking around there even with big hp.
Dont underestimate the computers.
E diff
RWS
etc

A stock, mediocre driven 500HP 300TQ GT3RS on regular Micheling Pilot Sport CUPs that I drove from Palm Beach FL to Road America does 2:24, by the time I ran those, cords were showing..
So big Power, pro, fresh sticky tires will be much faster then 2:18 IMHO..

Old 08-19-2018, 11:50 AM
AlecG
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I've read the entire thread...there are multiple people truly questioning the outcome of this test as far as "which car is actually going to be faster."

Just stating that I was shocked that people that are car enthusiasts would actually wonder or think that the GT2 RS has a shot of actually beating the Cup Car. Seems ignorant at best.

I was merely stating that I was willing to "bet my house" since it was brought-up that no one had demonstrated that level of certainty regarding the outcome.

This is a no-brainer. Kinda like seeing how close a running race would between an in-shape junior high school boy on the track team vs Usain Bolt.

WE ALREADY KNOW THE OUTCOME!
Old 08-19-2018, 02:08 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

And telling us that your house is "....11,000 square feet, 12 acres, pond, full outdoor kitchen, patio, pool, sunken lounge area for scotch and cigars...etc...." was totally necessary to make that bet.......

I think if the cars ran equal tires, this would be very close. The grip of the cup car will be its big advantage. The cup car will have upper hand in grip and weight....the gt2rs will have power advantage. Give the gt2rs slicks like the cup car, and we could truly see which car laps faster.

But I wouldnt bet my house on either side of this.....nor will I unnecessarily and gratuitously describe my house.....

Last edited by 911therapy; 08-19-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:22 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by BusDriver
SDGT3, David Murry et all - awesome that you are organizing this!!

And as far as predictions...Whoopsy is exactly right...

GT2 RS will be slower than the Cup car everywhere except the second half of any straight.
The Cup car will be faster in braking, turn-in, mid-corner speed, and exit speed.

Net, I am guessing the Cup car will be 2 to 3 seconds faster despite the long straights.

It would be another level of awesome if the GT2 RS had a second set of wheels with Hoosier R7s.
With Hoosiers on the GT2 RS, it could be very much neck and neck with the Cup car.

Looking forward to the outcome!
^^ This.. but I’ll add that the advantage on the straights for the RS are compressed as the Cup will enter the straights much faster and then be able to stay on throttle for more time into the braking zones. Then you have the variable of a pro driver having more confidence in a proper race car than a new street car which I predict will allow him to need more time to get used to the RS. I’m thinking there will be a 4.6 second delta in favor of the CUP. :-)

BRAVO for putting this together. It feels so old school that it’s got us all hyped up for the challenge and can’t wait.

Any chance that a set of R7s can be mounted to the RS for a second attempt on the same day just to see what that delta is because the R7 will most likely be the tire of choice for many reasons to owners.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I have a set of 19” R7...
295F and 345R

Would be fun for a second run..

Needs setup ideally and gearing may be too short.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:10 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlecG
I've read the entire thread...there are multiple people truly questioning the outcome of this test as far as "which car is actually going to be faster."

Just stating that I was shocked that people that are car enthusiasts would actually wonder or think that the GT2 RS has a shot of actually beating the Cup Car. Seems ignorant at best.

I was merely stating that I was willing to "bet my house" since it was brought-up that no one had demonstrated that level of certainty regarding the outcome.

This is a no-brainer. Kinda like seeing how close a running race would between an in-shape junior high school boy on the track team vs Usain Bolt.

WE ALREADY KNOW THE OUTCOME!
I agree that most already know the outcome, but aren't you a bit curious on how the "ultimate street 911 " (2RS) compares to a cup car? That is what this thread is all about.

And........ congratulations on the large house, I'm sure its beautiful!

Last edited by BK77; 08-20-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:20 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

It should be easy to predict the outcome by looking at lap times of the two cars from other tracks. In general though, grip is king. If you increase grip by say 20%, you're generally going to need way more than 20% increase in power to get the same drop in lap time. Grip wins in braking and especially corners (including "slow" corners, where we wind up spending a significant amount of TIME, which is what matters), and gives a higher corner exit speed. You need a lot of extra power to compensate for lower corner exit speed in order to make up time on straights, since even powerful cars have limited acceleration at high speeds (remember that, as a car is approaching its top speed, it's acceleration potential is approaching zero).

Have you guys ever noticed how people with low-power cars like to brag about how little power they have, but fail to mention that they've taken pains to increase their grip? They also usually forget to mention how light their cars are.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

This has so much sponsorship potential for track day and race suppliers.
Michelin is asleep at the wheel, Pirelli is on point, PCA is behind it, VBOX, Track Insurance guys, video crews and editors, if you ever wanted a crap load of viral free Social Media advertising, this is it!!
Old 08-19-2018, 08:57 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

It would be awesome to see if the new RS is also faster than a 14 year old gen 2 996 cup. That would be closer than the 991 cup I think!

Old 08-19-2018, 09:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
It would be awesome to see if the new RS is also faster than a 14 year old gen 2 996 cup. That would be closer than the 991 cup I think!
Agreed, I think the 991 GT3 with Hoosiers or Cup 2R can match the 996 cup, and the RS with those tires should be able to beat the 996 cup.

Quick Reply: GT2RS vs GT3 Cup Car