Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:23 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts
Default 911R Short Shifter and Cables

I wanted to show you what the difference between the Stock and GT4 shifter. All they did to shorten the throw was to take 20mm off the shift lever. So the throw is barely changed at all. Not much of a change there and you will probably not even notice the difference. Below on the Numeric Racing shifter I was able to shorten the throw by up to 38mm. I changed the mechanics of the shifter and just didn't knock 20mm off the lever. Also the shifter is made out of billet aluminum and utilizes bearings on all moving axis. Along with all stainless steel hardware. The shifter is very rigid and direct. It just doesn't flex compared to the stock unit. We also just started making shift cables for the GT4, 718, 981 and 991 model cars. The difference in how it feels and shifts is dramatically changed for a huge improvement. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. I have a 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back. Installation of just the shifter is a simple job and only requires one tool. A T25 torx wrench. All the panel just pop off. The cables is a little bit more involved but doesn't need to be done on a lift. You can do it an the floor of your garage by just jacking the rear end up. So for all you weekend warriors this is a simple job to do. There are also directions detailing the install on the website. Watch the link for a demonstration of the shifter and cables installed in my 991. If you have any questions don't hestiate to ask.

dan@numericracing.com
813-920-4415

YOUTUBE LINK

Stock on the left and GT4 on the right! Not much of a change at all.

GT4, 718, 981 Numeric Racing Shifter & Shift Cables.

Numeric Racing Shifter for GT4, 718, 981, 991 Model Cars.

991 Numeric Racing Shifter & Cables

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 07-27-2018, 10:55 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Cool product. Do you have a video that goes over installation? Any reviews that you are aware of? I’m interested.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Dan, while the Numeric shifter looks like a great part, however please don’t downplay the difference between the stock shifter and the GT4 shifter. The difference in height is noticeable, even if it’s not huge by measurement. Also, the GT4 shifter has a spring on the side to side action that the stock shifter does not have. That also improves shift feel. Added together, there is a noticeable difference between the two.

I am sure the Numeric shifter is similarly a step on from the GT4 shifter.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:31 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Dan are you having some kind of group buy special on this short shifter for Rennlisters?
Old 07-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We have group buy periodically. The spring is also on the Numeric shifter and what it does is keep it centered. It adds to the spring tension that is also on the transmission selectors to keep it centered as well. As for how it feels and shifts there is no difference. The only thing you notice is the added spring tension moving the lever left and right. The stock shifter will still flex and there is barely and change in the shifter throw. There is no comparing the GT4 to the Numeric shifter. You will notice change in throw and how much more rigid and direct. If the GT4 shifter was so outstanding I would have never made the Numeric shifter.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
We have group buy periodically. The spring is also on the Numeric shifter and what it does is keep it centered. It adds to the spring tension that is also on the transmission selectors to keep it centered as well. As for how it feels and shifts there is no difference. The only thing you notice is the added spring tension moving the lever left and right. The stock shifter will still flex and there is barely and change in the shifter throw. There is no comparing the GT4 to the Numeric shifter. You will notice change in throw and how much more rigid and direct. If the GT4 shifter was so outstanding I would have never made the Numeric shifter.
Have you tried a comparison of a Numeric shifter on the 991.2 GT3 manual or 911R (per your thread title)?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:28 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We installed a shifter on the GT3 991.2 manual and it had the same Porsche GT4 shifter with the lever shortened 20mm. There was no comparison after the install of the Numeric. The action and feel was so much better. All it needed was a set of cables which weren't available at the time of the install.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

We installed a shifter on the GT3 991.2 manual and it had the same Porsche GT4 shifter with the lever shortened 20mm. There was no comparison after the install of the Numeric. The action and feel was so much better. All it needed was a set of cables which weren't available at the time of the install.
Mechanically what makes the feel so much better?
Old 07-30-2018, 07:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Easy there. I never said the GT4 shifter was outstanding. Nor did I say your shifter wasn’t better. Quite the opposite in fact. But just because it’s better than even the GT4 shifter doesn’t mean that there isn’t a substantial and noticeable difference between the stock shifter and the GT4. When you say there is barely any change, that’s just not true. It’s very noticeable.

Question, the self centering spring you have, how does it compare to the GT4’s spring? I actually feel that the GT4’s spring is too heavy and trying to artificially create feel when there is none. Kind of like BMW’s steering in Sport Plus. Heavy for the sake of being heavy.
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (06-04-2020)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:42 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Not to question you but they feel significantly different. The throws feel longer on the .2 GT3 and less precise than the GT4.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:36 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Needsdecaf

I mad a diagram of the stock and GT4 shifter. What you are probably feeling is the shift **** itself has been lowered on the shortened lever. None of the mechanics of the shifter has been changed. I do also off a softer spring. 2mm is what is stock and I have made a 1.5mm spring that will give you a softer feel left to right. Just have to specify which one you would want when I build it.

N3RD If you liked the way the GT4 shifter felt than you will love the Numeric shifter. The throw is a lot shorter and it is so much more rigid and precise than the GT4. You can't even compare the two. Numeric is in a completely different league.

Below is a comparison of how they changed the GT4 shifter compared to the stock. The stock is the shifter with the **** being 20mm taller.

Stiffer spring on the left and the 1.5mm softer spring on the left.

Numeric Racing NM400 Demonstration Video

Last edited by Numeric Racing; 07-31-2018 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Left out some info
Old 07-31-2018, 10:17 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Needsdecaf

I mad a diagram of the stock and GT4 shifter. What you are probably feeling is the shift **** itself has been lowered on the shortened lever. None of the mechanics of the shifter has been changed. I do also off a softer spring. 2mm is what is stock and I have made a 1.5mm spring that will give you a softer feel left to right. Just have to specify which one you would want when I build it.

N3RD If you liked the way the GT4 shifter felt than you will love the Numeric shifter. The throw is a lot shorter and it is so much more rigid and precise than the GT4. You can't even compare the two. Numeric is in a completely different league.

Below is a comparison of how they changed the GT4 shifter compared to the stock. The stock is the shifter with the **** being 20mm taller.

Stiffer spring on the left and the 1.5mm softer spring on the left.

Numeric Racing NM400 Demonstration Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1YKYgLxAHE
Agreed with you regarding stock VS GT4. It’s the same shifter with a shorter shaft and the spring. Zero change to the mechanism.

Not really a short shifter per se. Just a shorter lever.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33

Mechanically what makes the feel so much better?
Still interested to hear why you think your shifters should feel better by design.

Last edited by Mech33; 08-01-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:18 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Very interested in this for the 991.2 GT3 application. Will the stock shifter and boot fit without having to alter them? On other cars, sometimes the shorter rod means you have to modify the boot and/or shifter assembly.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:18 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To start off the shifter is all billet aluminum which makes the housing very rigid compared to the stock plastic shifter. All the moving parts are on bearings so the action is greatly improved over stock that utilizes plastic bushings which the tolerances are pretty loose. I changed the shift mechanisms under the shifter which shorten the throw by 38mm and I also shortened the left to right movement by 12.5mm. Porsche's sport shifter they just shortened the lever by 20mm. Grab your stock shifter and apply some force to it by pushing away from you and pulling towards you and feel how much it flexes. Numeric doesn't flex so it is always going to be in the same position when you are shifting gears. A billet precisely machined shifter will make the stock plastic shifter feel like a toy. As the stock shifter starts getting more time on it. It will get even looser over time. The action on it is so noticeably different you would never want to go back to stock. This is a quote from one of my customers that just did the install of shifter and cables. Really super nice guy and I'm sure he wouldn't mind you asking him about it.

Dan,

Thank god that you posted the install pictures and instructions just in time and for talking to the service manager over the phone.

The shifter is amazingly precise! No slop or vagueness what so ever. The tech that did the install says he is going to get one of your shifters for his car. I just spent the last two days driving and shifting my Boxster through my favorite twisties! Very cool!

Thanks,

Jim Roller
jroller1@rochester.rr.com

Quick Reply: 911R Short Shifter and Cables