Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 4.0 Navigation and Apple Car Play

Old 09-19-2018, 06:10 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
But we do not have CarPlay available on the .2 GT3, do we? I just picked mine up a few days ago so I haven't spent much time with the PCM.
Yes, you do, CarPlay is there, just plug the phone in. Works great.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

So Google Maps now works in the GT3.2 with iOS12 update? Suhweeeeet
Old 09-19-2018, 09:25 PM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
So Google Maps now works in the GT3.2 with iOS12 update? Suhweeeeet

How to replace Apple Maps with Google Maps on CarPlay

1. Make sure you’re running iOS 12 on your iPhone and Google Maps version 5.0 or higher
  2. Open Settings
  3. Tap General then CarPlay
  4. Choose your vehicle
  5. Swipe to the second page of apps, tap and hold on Google Maps, and move it to the Home screen

Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
Google has updated maps, so it's now available on CarPlay, works well.
Originally Posted by Bartleby7334

How to replace Apple Maps with Google Maps on CarPlay

1. Make sure you’re running iOS 12 on your iPhone and Google Maps version 5.0 or higher
  2. Open Settings
  3. Tap General then CarPlay
  4. Choose your vehicle
  5. Swipe to the second page of apps, tap and hold on Google Maps, and move it to the Home screen
Hell yes. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:00 PM
RRRRR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luckily, this year iOS will bring offical 3rd party nav app to car play

Say good bye to jailbreak.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:28 AM
gsd98jsh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RRRRR
Luckily, this year iOS will bring offical 3rd party nav app to car play

Say good bye to jailbreak.
Yes, correct. No more Jailbreak needed for Apple CarPlay connection.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:47 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by dre13
i have waze operating on carplay in the u.s. with the latest beta build of waze (was just released on monday).

ios12 already supports this, it's the waze app that hasn't yet become generally available. they're releasing it in october.

if you want to get it now, you can join the waze beta program. it took them a day to approve me.

once you're approved, you need to add the "TEST FLIGHT" app to your phone from the Apple App Store. This app lets you gain access to beta applications that you've been approved for.

only the developers of the apps (in this case, waze), can give you access to their beta app.

in summary:

1. get test flight from the app store
2. sign up for the waze beta here: https://support.google.com/waze/beta.../7287364?hl=en
3. once you're approved, they'll send you a redemption code, or you can click the link in the approval email - and then waze beta will show up in the test flight app.

or, just wait until waze releases their updated version to the public in october.

no jailbreaking or special configuration is needed for ios12. no upgrades needed to PCM/carplay.
Thanks for the Link- hoping I get accepted and it works while I'm driving here in Europe. Right now we will need to use two phones- one for Apple car play and the other for Waze to notify us of traffic cameras.

Well, I guess we could just use Waze but not as easy to navigate with as Google Maps on Car Play.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:32 AM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is anyone experiencing issues with CarPlay? I've been noticing more issues but haven't found a root cause.

Spotify is hit or miss in audio coming through. The title and track is playing and displayed as normal on the PCM but no audio. Disconnect phone and retry and same result. It only fixes itself after I turn off the car.

There is also issue of audio quality degrading depending if any other app is running like Waze and playing Spotify but immediately gets better going back to home screen.

I also realized after sitting in my friends BMW, CarPlay is supported via Bluetooth, no wires needed, phone never leaves the pocket. Hoping Porsche comes out with a PCM upgrade to do that but not sure if they would back port to cars already sold. (Btw, BMW charges $500 for CarPlay as a paid app, yikes!)
Old 09-20-2018, 07:21 AM
gsd98jsh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frenzyy
Is anyone experiencing issues with CarPlay? I've been noticing more issues but haven't found a root cause.

Spotify is hit or miss in audio coming through. The title and track is playing and displayed as normal on the PCM but no audio. Disconnect phone and retry and same result. It only fixes itself after I turn off the car.

There is also issue of audio quality degrading depending if any other app is running like Waze and playing Spotify but immediately gets better going back to home screen.

I also realized after sitting in my friends BMW, CarPlay is supported via Bluetooth, no wires needed, phone never leaves the pocket. Hoping Porsche comes out with a PCM upgrade to do that but not sure if they would back port to cars already sold. (Btw, BMW charges $500 for CarPlay as a paid app, yikes!)
see if your ap is using the microphone function. I had a similar problem when i turned on the map ap, then realized when i turned off the microphone usage while ap is on, there is no more sound differences.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenzyy
For the wireless carplay it uses WiFi, Bluetooth cannot support the carplay bandwidth requirements. Considering the PCM has an AP built in, I would hope a PCM update could enable wireless carplay.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dre13
the .2 GT3 has carplay. you won't see the carplay prompt or the icon on PCM until you plug your iphone into the usb port in the middle console.
Sweet! Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM 4.0 Navigation and Apple Car Play