Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping 18 ways for LWB's

Old 07-21-2018, 06:51 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Swapping 18 ways for LWB's

I'm sure this topic has already been covered ad nauseum, but I just searched and couldn't find anything regarding swapping out the 18 Way Adaptives in a 991.2 GT3 for the LWB's. I've done this before in Ferraris, and it requires a proxy file from the factory so the car's computer system isn't confused after removing the electric seats.

Is it possible to do this in a 2018 GT3? Has anyone done it? What's the procedure? And is it something the dealer can (or more importantly, WILL) undertake?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:10 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 280 Posts

Is it possible to even buy the LWBs? Need to give up a kidney to get?
I did something similar to my 07 GT3 RS. Put in the 08 GT2? LWBs and it was a plug and play. Both seats had the same plugs, seat belt thingy, airbag.
I did have a problem when I put 996 GT3 seats into my 997 C2S. Dealer would not clear the error message because those seats did not have airbags or a seat belt thingy. Have to drive that car with harnesses only.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:11 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm sure it's possible, but have you looked into the cost? The previous owner of my 991.1 GT3 said he wanted to swap the 18 ways for LWBs, but when he found out the cost was $18k he just ordered a new car instead.

I would think aftermarket buckets would be a better (cheaper) option, unless you have a lead on some cheap OEM LWBs.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:25 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Luckily I've got a guy willing to swap me straight up for my 18 ways, as he doesn't like the LWB. So all I need to know is whether the car's computer system is going to go berserk if/when I try the swap....
Old 07-21-2018, 12:01 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

I was told by 3 different dealerships that the wiring harnesses are different. I recommend going into your local Porsche dealership's parts department and asking them instead of asking people on the internet who have never tried the swap.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The wiring harnesses are the same and have been the same since the 997.
I've seen people put in the 997 buckets in a 991 with no issue. I've swapped in buckets in my 987 spyder with no issue. Worst case you need to have the dealer reprogram, but I highly doubt that will be needed
Old 07-21-2018, 03:27 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The wiring harnesses are the same and have been the same since the 997.
I've seen people put in the 997 buckets in a 991 with no issue. I've swapped in buckets in my 987 spyder with no issue. Worst case you need to have the dealer reprogram, but I highly doubt that will be needed
Does it work the other way around? I.e. can the other guy put 18-ways in his car that was delivered with LWBs? Someone claimed that you could easily put in LWBs, but the LWB cars didn't have the wiring to put in the 18 ways. Not sure if that's true.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,726 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Totally doable.

18-way —> LWB = Plug-and-play.

LWB —> 18-way = additional harness and wiring.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Does it work the other way around? I.e. can the other guy put 18-ways in his car that was delivered with LWBs? Someone claimed that you could easily put in LWBs, but the LWB cars didn't have the wiring to put in the 18 ways. Not sure if that's true.
My GT3 arrives October/November. It was ordered with the lwb’s. I intend to remove them and replace with 18 way. The 18 way seats are $6K on eBay. You will need a wiring harness. Waiting for a price quote from Suncoast. The car will need reprogramming.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:56 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I'm sure it's possible, but have you looked into the cost? The previous owner of my 991.1 GT3 said he wanted to swap the 18 ways for LWBs, but when he found out the cost was $18k he just ordered a new car instead.

I would think aftermarket buckets would be a better (cheaper) option, unless you have a lead on some cheap OEM LWBs.

I got the same response from my dealer. They suggested an after market product
Old 07-22-2018, 01:22 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig
I got the same response from my dealer. They suggested an after market product
aftermarket seats won’t have airbags so you will have a light. Where are you all finding reasonably priced 18 way seats? Ideally, I would like a set of 4 way sport seat plus as I would like to fit one to the passenger side such that I can have a folding seat on that side.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:32 AM
MYoung959
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be very happy to swap my LWB's for 18-way seats. If you or anyone you know knows how to do this successfully, let's make a deal. Here's my tale of woe:

On Sunday, I bought a 991.2 GT3 with full bucket seats. On Monday, I promised my wife that I would have the seats replaced with the 18-way seats (aka Adaptive Sports Seats Plus) or, at worst, the 4-way seats (aka Sports Seats Plus). On Tuesday, I called my dealer's service department and was told that yes indeed they have made a few swaps just like this. They distinctly remember each swap because they charged their customers $30,000 to do the job.

What on earth could justify this price? I should think that the wires to the bucket and 18-way seats are identical and that all the motors that control motion are local to each seat and just need some power that only comes in one flavor. Some on Rennlist have suggested that the air bag sensors, switches and wiring are points of difference, but it seems to me that almost all the conceivable parts for air bag functioning are also local to the seats. Yes, there might be some tweak to the control coding, but this should, IMHO, seem pretty straightforward too.

So, I'm looking for definitive, authoritative, and even experienced advice on what can be done. And, if it can be done by anyone or any dealer in California, I'd be on my way there tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:02 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Totally doable.

18-way —> LWB = Plug-and-play.

LWB —> 18-way = additional harness and wiring.
This seems about right in my experience, at least for 4/18 way -> LWBS. I spec'd my 991.2 GT3 with the standard 4 way sport seats plus and decided too late that I wanted LWBS instead. Turns out it was a blessing because I made full use of the rear space for my euro delivery with luggage, but now that the car is in California I never use it. Bought OEM LWBS from a fellow local Rennlister who took them off his GT4. Dealer install was plug and play to take out my 4 way sofas and install LWBS.

Originally Posted by MYoung959
I'd be very happy to swap my LWB's for 18-way seats. If you or anyone you know knows how to do this successfully, let's make a deal. Here's my tale of woe:

On Sunday, I bought a 991.2 GT3 with full bucket seats. On Monday, I promised my wife that I would have the seats replaced with the 18-way seats (aka Adaptive Sports Seats Plus) or, at worst, the 4-way seats (aka Sports Seats Plus). On Tuesday, I called my dealer's service department and was told that yes indeed they have made a few swaps just like this. They distinctly remember each swap because they charged their customers $30,000 to do the job.

What on earth could justify this price? I should think that the wires to the bucket and 18-way seats are identical and that all the motors that control motion are local to each seat and just need some power that only comes in one flavor. Some on Rennlist have suggested that the air bag sensors, switches and wiring are points of difference, but it seems to me that almost all the conceivable parts for air bag functioning are also local to the seats. Yes, there might be some tweak to the control coding, but this should, IMHO, seem pretty straightforward too.

So, I'm looking for definitive, authoritative, and even experienced advice on what can be done. And, if it can be done by anyone or any dealer in California, I'd be on my way there tomorrow.
The cost is not because of the labor or parts specifically, but the seats themselves most likely. I know that the bucket seats, if you wanted to order them from Porsche as a part (not with the car), will cost about $25k. Porsche will charge you an arm and a leg for OEM replacement seats. Your best bet would be to put up a WTB ad in the classifieds and hope a RLer has a set for sale. I just sold my 4 way sport seats today actually to a another Rennlister!
Old 08-15-2018, 09:46 AM
MYoung959
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree: find a willing swapper.

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
The cost is not because of the labor or parts specifically, but the seats themselves most likely. I know that the bucket seats, if you wanted to order them from Porsche as a part (not with the car), will cost about $25k. Porsche will charge you an arm and a leg for OEM replacement seats. Your best bet would be to put up a WTB ad in the classifieds and hope a RLer has a set for sale. I just sold my 4 way sport seats today actually to a another Rennlister!
You're absolutely right, Sam. I'll be in the corral at Werks Reunion next week and hope to find someone interested in swapping seats. Also, I will ask around to find someone who has actually done the work how to get the correct wiring and do the programming, if necessary.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:50 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by MYoung959
You're absolutely right, Sam. I'll be in the corral at Werks Reunion next week and hope to find someone interested in swapping seats. Also, I will ask around to find someone who has actually done the work how to get the correct wiring and do the programming, if necessary.
What color are your LWB's? The interior of my GT3 is red and I have the 18 ways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping 18 ways for LWB's