Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring vs. 911 T

Old 07-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts
Default GT3 Touring vs. 911 T

So I have a GT3 touring that I'm likely not going to be able to keep. Lets just say spousal issues and leave it at that. I love the manual and I love the bucket seats and frankly Ive fallen in love with the touring concept.

I have a daily driver that Im looking to replace as well in addition to moving the Touring. I was doing some research and came across the Carrera T. I had heard about this car and thought it was a gimmick like many of the liveries are. But a few things caught my attention...It comes in a manual (7 speed vs 6 speed in the GT3), you can spec it with bucket seats. Infact the only Carrera that it appears you can spec with bucket seats.

Has anyone driven one of these? How is the 7 speed manual compared to the 6 speed in the GT3? Similar feel? Obviously 130 or so less HP but Im looking at this as a daily driver. Relatively reasonably priced around 115k or so for well equipped. Im not so concerned about the lack of horsepower as I have other rides in the stable (RS, Ferrari) to take care of that need.

Would this car be a fun engaging daily driver when the GT3 Touring is gone? There is nothing I dont love about my Touring but would this fill the void once the Touring is gone? Would appreciate insight from those that have driven one of these. I know they are relatively new but Im smitten.....
Old 07-20-2018, 03:42 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

There are a bunch of comparison reviews on YouTube and Peter Stout has a great write up on the comparison here on RL.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:19 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

If money is an issue you can't afford not to keep the GT3 since you'll probably lose more money on the T from depreciation.

A Carrera+ with a 7-speed eco-manual vs a Porsche Motorsport vehicle.

From Pete's review - "Is the T worth it? Depends on what you like and/or value—but we should be dancing on rooftops that Porsche has decided to make a more sporting 911 that isn't at the premium price level (read GT3+). It's a very attractive package, but I'm not sure it would sway me out of a Carrera MT or a Carrera S MT."

As a former 991 Carrera S owner; if the "T" is on the same plane as those - no thanks!

Sell the wife, keep the GT3.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:52 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

It’s not a money issue. I pay cash for my toys. I own all my cars outright. Regardless, doesn’t matter.

Not here to argue whether GT3 is better than T, it clearly is.

Im just curious as to the opinions on the T. I like the manual and the bucket seats. Speed and power is a secondary concern as there are other vehicles to take care of that need.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:04 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
It’s not a money issue. I pay cash for my toys. I own all my cars outright. Regardless, doesn’t matter.

Not here to argue whether GT3 is better than T, it clearly is.

Im just curious as to the opinions on the T. I like the manual and the bucket seats. Speed and power is a secondary concern as there are other vehicles to take care of that need.
From Pete's review: "-I was just starting to think the T (like the .2 Carrera) is all the 911 I need for the road. Then I made the mistake of running a brilliant section in the GT3 Touring. As good as the T is, the GT3 Touring shreds it. It's really something I have never experienced, that I can think of, jumping right out of one to the other on the same road on the same day, and the gulf is huge as it absolutely must be to justify the price difference. If the 3.0tt is a gem, the latest 4.0 is a full-on masterpiece. The 6MT is a bit nicer, the handling/braking/etc are all at least one level higher. "

If you really need a daily driver 911 and are moving out of the GT3, I would probably suggest waiting a bit longer for the 992. As far as it relates to the base models, everything will be probably be more of the same but better. You could buy the 992 next year and pretty much drive it for nearly a decade where it still looks like the 'new 911.' If the bucket seats are important to you, take the bucket seats out of your Touring, throw some of the optional sofas in the Touring that you find used in good condition on eBay before you sell it and put the buckets in the 992 which will probably have Motorsport variants using that same 918-style seat anyways.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

I'd read what CAlexio wrote recently first (from the 'McLaren Success' thread):

"one somewhat related point.. I drove a 50th anniversary 911 a dear friend lent to me recently for a driving event, while he drove his gt3. I had never driven a non-GT Porsche and was absolutely gob-smacked at the difference to the gt3. There is no question in my mind as to why gt Porsche's don't depreciate like normal Porsche's do. That 50th anniversary, a beautiful and special 911 to be sure, is a completely different animal to the gt3 I'm used to. No comparison, uninvolving, imprecise, gutless, soundless, no grip, no.. anything really. Basically I can't see spending new car money on a 911 which isn't a gt3.. the driving enjoyment value isn't even close. I would buy a used gt3 at almost-new price any day over a new non-GT 911. Or stated another way, I would never buy a non-GT 911.. completely soulless experience, way overpriced for what it offers.

Just reaffirms in my mind after driving Hypercars of all kinds, super sports cars, and Porsche GT cars, what an amazing value and perfect purchase a GT Porsche is. If you can only have one sports car (like me).. a GT-Porsche is the only one to consider. Not a fanboy.. just a believer now more than ever."

Of course, if you want, I'd be happy to keep that GT3 here in Scottsdale for you.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:52 PM
smmmurf
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
If you really need a daily driver 911 and are moving out of the GT3, I would probably suggest waiting a bit longer for the 992. As far as it relates to the base models, everything will be probably be more of the same but better. You could buy the 992 next year and pretty much drive it for nearly a decade where it still looks like the 'new 911.' If the bucket seats are important to you, take the bucket seats out of your Touring, throw some of the optional sofas in the Touring that you find used in good condition on eBay before you sell it and put the buckets in the 992 which will probably have Motorsport variants using that same 918-style seat anyways.
Agreed. It is difficult to justify buying a new non-GT 991 with the imminent release of the 992.

The GT3 Touring is uniquely rewarding compared to the non-GT 991.2. The better sound and tactile response are always apparent. However, its very high limits are difficult to enjoy on public roads even compared to recent GT cars such as the 997.2 GT3 and 981 GT4 which seem to give more feedback at lower speeds.

For daily use, the Carrera T may be more practical and economical. For fun and track use, the GT3 Touring is on a different level entirely.

OP, congrats on securing and driving a Touring. I hope you can keep it.

Last edited by smmmurf; 07-20-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:57 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Good suggestions on the 992. Ty

Old 07-20-2018, 08:00 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I'd read what CAlexio wrote recently first (from the 'McLaren Success' thread):

"one somewhat related point.. I drove a 50th anniversary 911 a dear friend lent to me recently for a driving event, while he drove his gt3. I had never driven a non-GT Porsche and was absolutely gob-smacked at the difference to the gt3. There is no question in my mind as to why gt Porsche's don't depreciate like normal Porsche's do. That 50th anniversary, a beautiful and special 911 to be sure, is a completely different animal to the gt3 I'm used to. No comparison, uninvolving, imprecise, gutless, soundless, no grip, no.. anything really. Basically I can't see spending new car money on a 911 which isn't a gt3.. the driving enjoyment value isn't even close. I would buy a used gt3 at almost-new price any day over a new non-GT 911. Or stated another way, I would never buy a non-GT 911.. completely soulless experience, way overpriced for what it offers.

Just reaffirms in my mind after driving Hypercars of all kinds, super sports cars, and Porsche GT cars, what an amazing value and perfect purchase a GT Porsche is. If you can only have one sports car (like me).. a GT-Porsche is the only one to consider. Not a fanboy.. just a believer now more than ever."

Of course, if you want, I'd be happy to keep that GT3 here in Scottsdale for you.
Brilliantly stated and exactly how I found my 991.1 S to be. It seems that's pretty much the story for all the base types of 991 sadly. I found the 997.2 base models to be fun and engaging and wouldn't mind owning a 997.2 GTS but prior to that I'd have to look to the air cooled stuff for a worthy regular variant 911 IMHO.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:03 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

All I can contribute to this thread is that I have the same 3.0 engine in my .2 C4 and especially after breaking the engine/car in, it makes for a fun/engaging experience for the street IMO

The turbo engine is dual natured, very smooth for around town and in traffic. Then put the car in sport/sport+ in the canyons and the shove/feel of the torque around 2800-3000rpm is addictive, especially through corners on your favorite back road. The power is still useable in daily driving situations since the engine is "only" 370hp/330ish nm, doesn't feel as overkill as the GT3's 4.0 for obvious reasons. Sound is plenty aggressive for me (I have the OEM PSE option) but it's very subjective (many do not like the .2 sound) and admittedly there is a turbo whistle you'll hear with the windows down (I personally don't mind since it is after all a turbocharged engine)

Not here to argue NA vs turbo and the merits of each
Old 07-20-2018, 10:24 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Many of us at PECLA love the character of the manual Carrera T with buckets and no rear seats.
The following users liked this post:
TYPE911 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:40 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche does turbos as well as anyone, however making a turbo an involving experience is something that will only get better over future generations of the base 911 and S. They'll improve the linearity. They'll improve the sound. They just will.

It's like the PDK. The first iteration was amazing, but then it's quickly overshadowed by the next iteration. I expect the turbo 911s to improve in the same manner. Maybe something to keep in mind.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Do you prefer a Turbo engine or NA and is that a big selling point to your purchase?

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Porsche does turbos as well as anyone, however making a turbo an involving experience is something that will only get better over future generations of the base 911 and S. They'll improve the linearity. They'll improve the sound. They just will.
Right out of the box Ferrari's 488 had no turbo lag, McLaren turbos have far less lag than Porsches .... so I'd respectfully disagree on your statement
Old 07-21-2018, 02:09 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 92 Posts

I would think the use of electrically assisted turbos and/or electric motors will be very prevalent in all Porsches moving forward. Porsche has the means to all but eliminate turbo lag; hope they implement it well.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (07-22-2020)
Old 07-21-2018, 02:56 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

As a T owner that has driven a few 991.1/991.2 GT3s (manual and PDK, but not a touring yet) - I will say that it depends on what you want out of the car. If I were tracking regularly, I'd stretch for the GT3, it's better suited for any type of track work IMHO. Not that you can't make a T go there, but the GT3 is built for it.

For everyday, I feel like its the reverse. The GT3 is just not my idea of a good everyday 911, and though it can be made to go there (FAL) - tooling around in traffic < 75mph is not it's happy place.

And, FWIW - driving the T and GT3 back to back, I didn't feel like the GT3 was "one level higher" in every respect. I think the NA engine is a dream, and clearly a more visceral experience (and I drove a 993 for 17 years before the T) - but the 3.0 is also an amazing feat. Frankly, I think the 3.0 "feels" faster on the street - simply because of the torque curve. But it doesn't have the 9K spine tingling scream, that's for sure. At 6K plus the T does, however, sound like a great 911 engine. Likewise the handling - the GT3 setup vs. SPASM for the T is not *that* different on the street - and the T I think handles typical US maintained streets a bit better. Build quality and fit/finish are identical as far as I'm concerned - and a very high standard at that.

Hope that helps from 1 owners perspective to another. I love my T for what I use it for - and I'm sure I'd love the GT3 as well. The only way to know what is right for you is to go get some seat time.

cheers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Touring vs. 911 T