Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What questions do I ask a tire shop before letting them touch centerlocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts
Default What questions do I ask a tire shop before letting them touch centerlocks?

I've got a tire with a slow leak. I've looked it over in detail and there's no visible damage so I expect either the valve or bead is leaking.

I've got a local tire shop on my way home from work where I've been servicing my normal vehicles for years and been very happy with the service. Not so happy though that I'll let them muck up a brand new GT3 wheel.

What questions should I ask before I let them touch it? Is there any special equipment needed to work on one of these? Maybe a different cone to clamp it to the mounting machine or balancer? Plastic tools or anything specific to the low profile tires? Anything special to deal with the TPMS?

I'm just bringing the wheel/tire so I'm not concerned about them properly installing the center nut. I'll put it back on myself when I get home.

Or do I just bring it to the tire shop where I buy my Porsche tires which is quite inconvenient?
Old 07-20-2018, 08:54 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Show them that the rim has no scratches and is perfect and you want it to stay that way during and after the tire repair.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:10 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by michaelo
Show them that the rim has no scratches and is perfect and you want it to stay that way during and after the tire repair.
Sure. That goes without saying. But I'd rather make sure they know how to do that than deal with a mistake after the fact because someone in the back didn't realize there was something different about it.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:18 AM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

It’s a tire change, if they aren’t dealing with the wheel on/off the car. As long as they have the right equipment and know how to use to not damage the rim you’re fine.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:24 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Sure. That goes without saying.
Does it really? Then why so many threads on 'the tire shop damaged my rim...'
Old 07-20-2018, 09:32 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jon D
It’s a tire change, if they aren’t dealing with the wheel on/off the car. As long as they have the right equipment and know how to use to not damage the rim you’re fine.
That's what I'm asking. How do I know if they have the right equipment? More importantly, how do I know if THEY know they have the right equipment?

Originally Posted by michaelo
Does it really? Then why so many threads on 'the tire shop damaged my rim...'
It goes without saying that this is what I want. And that's why I'm looking to you guys to know what questions to ask before I let them touch it.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:45 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

A wheel is a wheel is a wheel. Doesn't matter if 5 bolt or the CL. The tire goes on the same way. The questions are the same for tire R & R. Only difference is how the combo is mounted to the car.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ExMB
A wheel is a wheel is a wheel. Doesn't matter if 5 bolt or the CL. The tire goes on the same way. The questions are the same for tire R & R. Only difference is how the combo is mounted to the car.
I know when they mount or balance tires they put the wheel on the machines using the hole in the middle rather than the lug holes and then clamp it down with a cone thing. Since the hole in the middle of the centerlocks is tapered and machined to fit the locking bolt, it stands to reason that they might need a different piece to clamp it down without damaging it.

Or they might not. I don't know. That's why I'm asking. This seems like a pretty tangible difference between these and run-of-the-mill wheels though so the question is valid isn't it?
Old 07-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

That's what I'm asking. How do I know if they have the right equipment? More importantly, how do I know if THEY know they have the right equipment?
For just changing the tire, they would have the gear. The question of not having the right tools is when it come time to remove/install the wheel on the car. It would be best to remove the wheel at home and take it to the shop.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I'd say just talk to the shop before you drop off. Ask if they have experience with Porsche centerlock wheels. I've used chain tire shops for mounting, balance, patching and not had a problem. Watching them work I didn't see anything special in terms of tools or process. I try to fully clean the wheel including wiping off the paste from the center (messy job) before giving it to them. The most scuffs I've gotten on the wheels from mounting/ balance was at a P dealer.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:10 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd B
For just changing the tire, they would have the gear. The question of not having the right tools is when it come time to remove/install the wheel on the car. It would be best to remove the wheel at home and take it to the shop.
Originally Posted by zedcat
I'd say just talk to the shop before you drop off. Ask if they have experience with Porsche centerlock wheels. I've used chain tire shops for mounting, balance, patching and not had a problem. Watching them work I didn't see anything special in terms of tools or process. I try to fully clean the wheel including wiping off the paste from the center (messy job) before giving it to them. The most scuffs I've gotten on the wheels from mounting/ balance was at a P dealer.
Ok. Wheel is already off and I did exactly as zedcat suggested. It's clean and I wiped all the silver paste off.

Also... worth mentioning... I've never had to worry about lugs getting dirty when a wheel is off. One more reason centerlocks are stupid. Here's how she sits now... with a freakin' hub condom...

Old 07-20-2018, 10:12 AM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Ask if their machines can handle 20 inch centerlock rims that are as wide as ours. I've had one shop tell me their machines can't mount my tires.

On a note about your leak, I've had my valve stems loosen causing a leak. Sometimes just retightening the valve stem can stop that. If it persists the leak may be from a damaged gasket at the valve stem base which is easily replaced, but the tire needs to come off for that.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Are you saying if I try to tighten that nut on the valve stem it might do the trick? I have no idea how those work. I mean... most valve stems just stick through the hole from the back. I figured the nut had something to do with TPMS or something.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:21 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok. Wheel is already off and I did exactly as zedcat suggested. It's clean and I wiped all the silver paste off.

Also... worth mentioning... I've never had to worry about lugs getting dirty when a wheel is off. One more reason centerlocks are stupid. Here's how she sits now... with a freakin' hub condom...
Paranoia level expert.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by qbix
Paranoia level expert.
LOL! I do not deny this.

Quick Reply: What questions do I ask a tire shop before letting them touch centerlocks?