Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3.2 - too much for street fun?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default GT3.2 - too much for street fun?

I've been enjoying the GT3 on the street in between track times. Aside from all the glorious drive train noises, it is a true Grand Touring car. Pliant suspension, stable as a rock. mild mannered on gentle driving, even the LWB seats are comfortable. Yesterday I was on the left lane in moderate traffic cruising at 65 mph, when all of a sudden all the cars ahead of me moved to the right. Open left lane for several miles it seemed. So, I floored it PDK downshifted all the way down to get the 4.0 to scream up 9,000RPM. popped the upshift to the next gear and screamed all the way to the next.........then I saw I was doing 130 mph. Within seconds. On a 4 lane highway. With traffic. Insane!! I let up on the gas, but PDK kept the rev's up, egging me to floor it again. Had to manually up shift to get it down to sane levels.

Today I took out the wife's Boxster. Glorious weather, top down, that little flat 6 singing it's heart out right behind me. Then on to side roads where it's point and shoot curves with no fear of overpowering the road. No pop with shifting, no screaming 9,000 RPM,.......but it was fun!! I just realized this today, so I thought I'd share. I know, I probably could have as much fun with a Miata, lot's of people might, so don't shoot me.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:14 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

I understand, my gt2 was a bit too much on the street, i have lots of fun on the street with the s2000.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

These cars are overpowered for the street but you just have to keep the demons in check. It is an ongoing struggle. I have my good days and my not so good days. It is a process.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
These cars are overpowered for the street but you just have to keep the demons in check. It is an ongoing struggle. I have my good days and my not so good days. It is a process.
And just imagine the struggle with an extra 100hp at sea level

Good reason to stay clear of the next GT3 if it's turbocharged (too fast up here)
Old 07-19-2018, 05:11 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

My favorite street car was a 2005 Subaru STI, especially in the winter. I lived back in Michigan at the time. I had some great roads around my house that wouldn't get plowed for days after a big snow storm. It didn't take much speed to have a lot of fun.

One time my father-in-law was in town and we had a snow storm, so I took him out in the STI to show him the car. My wife and I lived in a brand new subdivision at the end of a cul-de-sac and were the only house in the neighborhood. When we got back I starting drifting around the cul-de-sac showing how the dial to vary the power output to the wheels functioned. We were both laughing hysterically until my car lights happen to light-up my front window, and my wife was standing there glaring at us. The laughing stopped pretty quick.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:26 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
And just imagine the struggle with an extra 100hp at sea level

Good reason to stay clear of the next GT3 if it's turbocharged (too fast up here)
I hear you Grant! I really REALLY don’t need anymore power. Give me a new Turbo S and my license will be gone within a month. Maybe sooner.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:34 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

My wife has an 08 Boxster S LE which is a fabulous sports car. Better looking convertible than the 911, and terrific handling. Added a Cargraphic exhaust for even better sound than PSE from the 3.4L flat six. The hydraulic steering is the best and, in my opinion, still more communicative than the best electromechanical setups. But the 4.0L in the .2 GT3 is one for the books, and any chance to experience its sound and fury, however brief, justifies ownership.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:39 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

the next Boxster Spyder, if it has the 4L motor, should be the ultimate summer street car....still no 9000 rpm screamer, but great nonetheless
Old 07-19-2018, 05:56 PM
arek
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

I hear you Grant! I really REALLY don’t need anymore power. Give me a new Turbo S and my license will be gone within a month. Maybe sooner.
I've been daily-driving the new Turbo S since I got it in 2016. Took several tickets for me to learn how to do it, it's definitely a struggle. I only use it in very short bursts. Quick acceleration off the line or to pass someone here and there. My foot never stays down for more than just couple of seconds. Driving in manual PDK helps because it doesn't downshift from 5th to 2nd when you get on it. I love knowing that I have this power though, and it feels great when I finally get to open it fully up after Turn 11 at Laguna Seca
Old 07-19-2018, 06:41 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by arek
I've been daily-driving the new Turbo S since I got it in 2016. Took several tickets for me to learn how to do it, it's definitely a struggle. I only use it in very short bursts. Quick acceleration off the line or to pass someone here and there. My foot never stays down for more than just couple of seconds. Driving in manual PDK helps because it doesn't downshift from 5th to 2nd when you get on it. I love knowing that I have this power though, and it feels great when I finally get to open it fully up after Turn 11 at Laguna Seca
Yeah, sure sounds like i would lose my license lol.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
the next Boxster Spyder, if it has the 4L motor, should be the ultimate summer street car....still no 9000 rpm screamer, but great nonetheless
the 981 version is plenty for the street. Breaking laws in 2nd.

Gt3s are boring af on the street. If you aren’t melting tires and smoking brakes you aren’t even close to pushing the car. An antique, boxster, etc feel like you’re pushing way harder but don’t need near the pace.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:42 PM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Joy on the "Dragon!"
Old 07-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I've been enjoying the GT3 on the street in between track times. Aside from all the glorious drive train noises, it is a true Grand Touring car. Pliant suspension, stable as a rock. mild mannered on gentle driving, even the LWB seats are comfortable. Yesterday I was on the left lane in moderate traffic cruising at 65 mph, when all of a sudden all the cars ahead of me moved to the right. Open left lane for several miles it seemed. So, I floored it PDK downshifted all the way down to get the 4.0 to scream up 9,000RPM. popped the upshift to the next gear and screamed all the way to the next.........then I saw I was doing 130 mph. Within seconds. On a 4 lane highway. With traffic. Insane!! I let up on the gas, but PDK kept the rev's up, egging me to floor it again. Had to manually up shift to get it down to sane levels.

Today I took out the wife's Boxster. Glorious weather, top down, that little flat 6 singing it's heart out right behind me. Then on to side roads where it's point and shoot curves with no fear of overpowering the road. No pop with shifting, no screaming 9,000 RPM,.......but it was fun!! I just realized this today, so I thought I'd share. I know, I probably could have as much fun with a Miata, lot's of people might, so don't shoot me.
I'm on board with this thinking. That's why we're keeping the manual Cayman R, thinking about getting a manual 987 Boxster S, and find the Miata appealing. 991 GT3 is too much car for the road, but fantastic on track.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:34 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 92 Posts

My first Porsche was a TTS. Never felt like it was too much for the street. Never got a ticket in it. Always wished it was more engaging and sounded better; it felt like it should have had a Keurig logo over the engine compartment. The GT3 ought to be exactly what I wished the TTS was.

I think a lot of us that own these cars and don’t get to push them that much still have fun with them because of what they are capable of and the rarity of them. I had a lot of great random conversations at gas stations due to that TTS.

I had an S2000 a few years ago. Thought it was criminally underpowered for the chassis; always struggled to have fun with the car because you HAD to push it hard.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:58 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 197 Posts

Hence the big surge in aircooled cars. My 7.2 gt3 , 991gts and most others too much for the streets. I can floor my 993c2s all the time. Take it to redline etc. way more fun on the road.

Quick Reply: GT3.2 - too much for street fun?