Sponsored by:

GT3.2 - too much for street fun?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:19 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
This. Having driven the 991 GT3 hard for more than 7K track miles, nothing I can do it with it on the road begins to compare.
Originally Posted by Palting
I hope you're saying this firmly tongue in cheek The GT3 comes alive at the track, the only logical and sane place to let it all out and maximize the fun. You will love it that much more, albeit with the new knowledge that you'll have to rein it in for the streets.
Haha yes.

I will get it on a track ASAP after delivery.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:15 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

i wish i could fit in smaller cars. the 911 is perfect, i would have a miata, or a lotus for the street.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
WAAAAAA.....my car has too much power.....
Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

"The real problem with the 991.2 GT3 isn't that it's too fast for the street, it's that it's constantly egging you on wanting you to rev it out and drive like a mad man. It's the personality of the car, not the power that's the problem."

Exactly! I don't have my touring yet, but BOTH my previous GT3's put a little devil on my shoulder saying, "just a little faster... You know you want to"!
Old 07-21-2018, 01:45 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry

Let’s see, this is my 3rd Porsche GT car. If this is step 3 of 12, this is going to be expensive!

Ryan
^ this is scary as I’m getting into my first GT .1rs. Eleven more to go? My wife will not be too happy.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:17 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mr965

^ this is scary as I’m getting into my first GT .1rs. Eleven more to go? My wife will not be too happy.
Owning a GT can also be a gateway drug to HPDE. and if you really have the speed and adrenaline bug, wheel to wheel racing. If my race cars count towards my 12 steps I'm at step 5

Ryan
Old 07-21-2018, 03:27 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IT IS I...MIATA MAN! Here hunting for GT3 owners not having fun on the street and looking for an even trade

Old 07-22-2018, 11:19 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Old 07-22-2018, 12:03 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been enjoying the GT3 on the street in between track times. Aside from all the glorious drive train noises, it is a true Grand Touring car. Pliant suspension, stable as a rock. mild mannered on gentle driving, even the LWB seats are comfortable. Yesterday I was on the left lane in moderate traffic cruising at 65 mph, when all of a sudden all the cars ahead of me moved to the right. Open left lane for several miles it seemed. So, I floored it PDK downshifted all the way down to get the 4.0 to scream up 9,000RPM. popped the upshift to the next gear and screamed all the way to the next.........then I saw I was doing 130 mph. Within seconds. On a 4 lane highway. With traffic. Insane!! I let up on the gas, but PDK kept the rev's up, egging me to floor it again. Had to manually up shift to get it down to sane levels.

Today I took out the wife's Boxster. Glorious weather, top down, that little flat 6 singing it's heart out right behind me. Then on to side roads where it's point and shoot curves with no fear of overpowering the road. No pop with shifting, no screaming 9,000 RPM,.......but it was fun!! I just realized this today, so I thought I'd share. I know, I probably could have as much fun with a Miata, lot's of people might, so don't shoot me.
That's why so many are spending money on classics rather than new cars. And now that i talk about it, i would fancy a alfa romeo spider, such a beautiful, light, simple and extremly fun car.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:45 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

PT3, you're a hoot. Have a blast driving with you in the Smokies. Those roads are as good as any track I've driven on this far; of course all within legal limits.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:09 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Spin
PT3, you're a hoot. Have a blast driving with you in the Smokies. Those roads are as good as any track I've driven on this far; of course all within legal limits.
All you guys are fun to roll with. My self preservation instincts don't appreciate it but it's a hell of a drive.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:50 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I tend to fall into the “cars are too fast for the street now and don’t need to get any faster” thought trap a lot, but if you think about it people have been saying that since the fastest cars had 100hp. Yet cars ignore that sentiment and become ever faster.

Yet as cars get faster, the next incremental increase in power DOES become less critical to how good the car is. Handling, braking, noise, responsiveness, etc all become more and more important compared to power as the critical components of a great drivers car. Fortunately Porsche was thoughtful enough to bless the GT3 with all of them in spades.

I do love classic analog cars too though.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:38 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
It’s the good old saying “more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow”
Originally Posted by RennOracle
That's why so many are spending money on classics rather than new cars. And now that i talk about it, i would fancy a alfa romeo spider, such a beautiful, light, simple and extremly fun car.
I just went from a 991.2 TT to an Alfa 4C spider. I just got it this week, but so far the Alfa is a lot more fun to drive, and that’s especially true at legal speeds on the street. I think it’s as much about the low weight and the intangibles as it is the 10:1 pounds to horsepower ratio, but being able to drive hard for more than a 1-2 second spurt without risking my license is a plus. The look, the noise, and the stupid compromises (no glove box, just one wiper, bolted front trunk, no carpeting to show off that chassis...) are all fun for a toy car. And terrible for a practical/useful car but that’s not the point.

The TT was great fun when shooting away from a light or being a hooligan. It is too fast to be able to really lay into it on the street. Keep your foot to the floor for about six seconds and what would have been just a ticket might become a free ridealong with your neighborhood LEO... compared to a ticket that’s a different scale.

The TT is a far nicer and more complete car - a great DD - whereas the Alfa is very much a toy, no more and no less. I really enjoyed the TT and loved many things about it. The little Alfa is more fun.

Last edited by ace37; 07-22-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:01 AM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

This car is really convenient for long trips )))

Old 07-28-2018, 06:55 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

Gt3s are boring af on the street.
Hilarious! They are so amusing and engaging that one is not enough, never turned the stereo on in either, either. Thank God for Miata Man

Quick Reply: GT3.2 - too much for street fun?