Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3.2 - too much for street fun?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 03:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

It was weird. The springs changed to the 4.0. It has some rose joints and stuff, but so did my 3.8's.
On bumpy Sebring the nose would move and jump around, the 3.8's didn't. Just dealt with it, we never really figured it out.

Both my 964 and 83SC neither did have a sunroof, in both cases they hacked the bottom out and fitted low profile sliders.
Never had oem seats in either one, but yes the race seats I image make extra head room as well.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:24 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It was weird. The springs changed to the 4.0. It has some rose joints and stuff, but so did my 3.8's.
Both my 964 and 83SC neither did have a sunroof, in both cases they hacked the bottom out and fitted low profile sliders.
Never had oem seats in either one, but yes the race seats I image make extra head room as well.
Surprising amount of headroom in any of the aircooled cars. My 73 (also no sunroof) with standard sliders and Recaro Pole Positions has as much or more headroom as new GT3 with LWB's...

Aside from headroom, cabin feels much tighter than 991 (but not in a bad way)...
Old 08-04-2018, 05:12 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot about the sunroof: that would have been part of the problem. Even so, my 996/997 with LWBs had/has way more headroom than the SC with standard seats. In the SC I had to have the seat as far forward as I could without my knees touching the dash and then recline the back as far as possible while still being able to reach the wheel. And then hunch with a helmet. Still, whenever I tried a something like a Ferrari or Lambo and got back into the SC it felt sooo comfortable and roomy by comparison. In contrast I find the 991 interior a bit lacking in intimacy, a bit saloon like.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:54 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I’ve been looking at V8 Aston just for the V8 manual and looks.
But I live in the wrong part of the world to be able to enjoy it on the road and It would self distruct after 2 corners at Sebring.

I did daily drive my 997GT3 and two 997RS, even my 4.0 from 2008-2013.
I went from 4.0 to 964RSA, it was hot rodded and it was a fantastic car.
Probably if I hadn’t crashed it racing (fixed it) I would still have it today.

My next old car I hope is a euro 964RS.
If we had the roads, it would be another hot rod 964.
Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
Coming from the GT4, my first impression was: the manual .2 GT3 is simply in another league on my typical Sunday morning country road trip.

When I discovered the already insane speed range in the GT4 had gone up by a good margin, I began asking myself if the GT3 might be slightly over
the top for that use and bettre suited for the track.

After more miles, I tend to say, as fascinating as the GT3 might be, the GT4 was just right for street use. OK, after it was modified with headers,
plenum and remapping at least.

No question the GT3 does virtially everything that edge "better", and the engine has just so much more punch and that glorious top end,
but I truly feel the GT4 delivered at least the same fun one level below. More important, it delivered at speeds where the GT3 would feel
bored and unchallenged. The GT4 has that special magic which makes you smile after 1 mile, maybe after the first upshift with some coughing.

Don´t get me wrong, I really love the GT3 for all it is, but I do miss my GT4 anyway. Luckily, I kept it and can´t wait reanimate it next season,
as I´m planning to switch back and forth beetween the to every 4 months or so next year.

Peter
If one wanted to sacrifice some laptime for a more entertaining road car, how difficult would it be to re-spec and calibrate the chassis to match the 911R? Might as well also remove the cap on power to get the RS's extra 20hp.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
The answer is pre-991 GT3s: analogue steering (front and rear); analogue drivetrains (with PSM and TC off); and analogue gearboxes combined with amazing, naturally aspirated engines.

I had a GT4 and loved the brakes (steel) but the steering felt artificial and in the wet gave no sense of grip. The motor had plenty of torque but combined with the tall gearing felt flat in the upper reaches of 3rd gear. To get an inspiring sound you had to have the windows down and the loud exhaust button pushed.

I sold it and bought a 997 RS 4.0, which so far I've only driven on the road. It doesn't comply with the noise limits of tracks in my region - it's bizarre that some tracks have lower limits than the road - but I live in the Alps so the roads are no hardship. Yes you can use maximum revs in the 4.0 much less often than in the GT4 but the car is far more thrilling at any speed. It makes a much more authentic, musical, loud and exciting sound and feels so much more alive: more inertia-free; more on its toes; it writhes more out of a corner under full power; has more progressive breakaway; more understeer to manage in hairpins; a more challenging gearshift (heavier, notchier and lighter flywheel); and steering that feels mechanically connected and provides detailed feedback.

Although the power of many cars has become irrelevant, 500hp is useful for overtaking, an increasingly common necessity. However even though the 997 has less grip than a 991 you do need just the right sort of corner to get it sliding on the road so I am planning to try PS4Ss instead of Cup 2s at the next tyre change. The problem with the 991 on the road is not too much power but too much grip and less analogue sensory rewards.

problem with the 997 GT3 RS beyond its appearance is it outdated in every respect ... prices have suffered versus the 991.2 being the pinnacle Porsche experience ... Chris Harris just bought a GT3 Touring and sold his RS to get out early ... you really should read up
Old 10-09-2018, 10:47 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
Coming from the GT4, my first impression was: the manual .2 GT3 is simply in another league on my typical Sunday morning country road trip.

When I discovered the already insane speed range in the GT4 had gone up by a good margin, I began asking myself if the GT3 might be slightly over
the top for that use and bettre suited for the track.

After more miles, I tend to say, as fascinating as the GT3 might be, the GT4 was just right for street use. OK, after it was modified with headers,
plenum and remapping at least.

No question the GT3 does virtially everything that edge "better", and the engine has just so much more punch and that glorious top end,
but I truly feel the GT4 delivered at least the same fun one level below. More important, it delivered at speeds where the GT3 would feel
bored and unchallenged. The GT4 has that special magic which makes you smile after 1 mile, maybe after the first upshift with some coughing.

Don´t get me wrong, I really love the GT3 for all it is, but I do miss my GT4 anyway. Luckily, I kept it and can´t wait reanimate it next season,
as I´m planning to switch back and forth beetween the to every 4 months or so next year.

Peter
This is spot on, and the reason why the GT4 stays right next to the PDK-S GT3!
Old 10-09-2018, 10:49 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Chris Harris sold way too early and regretted the sale. He bought a Ferrari and took a bath. After he sold they pushed 500k
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Chris Harris sold way too early and regretted the sale. He bought a Ferrari and took a bath. After he sold they pushed 500k
Haha

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 10-13-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:28 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman

problem with the 997 GT3 RS beyond its appearance is it outdated in every respect ... prices have suffered versus the 991.2 being the pinnacle Porsche experience ... Chris Harris just bought a GT3 Touring and sold his RS to get out early ... you really should read up
So every classic car - 2.7 RS, 250 GTO etc - is crap because it's outdated? None of those guys drifting them the whole way through every bend in classic races are having fun?
If you read up you would have seen Chris Harris say he only sold his RS 4.0 because he couldn't afford the payments.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:15 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Seinfeld evidently has his PTS 997 4.0 up for auction.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:50 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

I thought it was only me.......I found the GT3 very engaging for my driving style after 4K RPM and a bit wanting torque wise relative to the car's smoother drivability at higher RPMs..........

As many have mentioned the good old slow car fast thing is SO true as I have been winding out my 993 to 5000 RPMs in regular street driving, albeit a bit noisy, and not breaking the law or piling up speeding tickets.............

With my TTS in normal mode it is not as "jittery" as the GT3 at low speed or RPM, so the drivability for everyday use has very smooth delivery torque wise with an occasional burst of speed available on demand here and there without any drama.............

I just refrain from using sport plus mode in the TTS which turns it into an absolute triple speed figure in no time beast............track only for sports plus enjoyment........or empty mountain roads.............these cars are surreal at speed........
Old 10-10-2018, 03:12 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Seinfeld evidently has his PTS 997 4.0 up for auction.
Wish we knew what he's thinking or has in his collection. He's sold a good number of rarities in recent years.

Perhaps the PTS 997 4.0 is one of many?
Old 10-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

The answer is pre-991 GT3s: analogue steering (front and rear); analogue drivetrains (with PSM and TC off); and analogue gearboxes combined with amazing, naturally aspirated engines.

I had a GT4 and loved the brakes (steel) but the steering felt artificial and in the wet gave no sense of grip. The motor had plenty of torque but combined with the tall gearing felt flat in the upper reaches of 3rd gear. To get an inspiring sound you had to have the windows down and the loud exhaust button pushed.

I sold it and bought a 997 RS 4.0, which so far I've only driven on the road. It doesn't comply with the noise limits of tracks in my region - it's bizarre that some tracks have lower limits than the road - but I live in the Alps so the roads are no hardship. Yes you can use maximum revs in the 4.0 much less often than in the GT4 but the car is far more thrilling at any speed. It makes a much more authentic, musical, loud and exciting sound and feels so much more alive: more inertia-free; more on its toes; it writhes more out of a corner under full power; has more progressive breakaway; more understeer to manage in hairpins; a more challenging gearshift (heavier, notchier and lighter flywheel); and steering that feels mechanically connected and provides detailed feedback.

Although the power of many cars has become irrelevant, 500hp is useful for overtaking, an increasingly common necessity. However even though the 997 has less grip than a 991 you do need just the right sort of corner to get it sliding on the road so I am planning to try PS4Ss instead of Cup 2s at the next tyre change. The problem with the 991 on the road is not too much power but too much grip and less analogue sensory rewards.

these comments are are all over the map ... my advice is spend more time behind the wheel, become better educated ...

are you selling this RS? Why all the hype on posts?

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 10-13-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maverick787
he could have easily found another 4.0 RS for less money than a GT3T ... he chose this car and clearly posted “ there is no other car I would rather have “ to go with his E63S wagon ... to each their own but I am with him

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 10-13-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:21 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Agree with this totally. I got bored of my 991 RS so fast because it just didn't end up being any real fun with all the grip it had. Ya, it sounded great, yes it was quick, but it didn't really lead to the feelings I had when I drove my 997.2 RS or my 911r...thats not because of the manual aspect either, PDK is easily my preferred overall.

Quick Reply: GT3.2 - too much for street fun?