Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3.2 - too much for street fun?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:24 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Fully agree that this car is way too much for the street and it forces into serious judgement lapses . At 130 on a public road I would be having visions of reckless driving charges and an impounded car!
Old 07-28-2018, 10:40 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Miata Man and I need to start a company, we’ll call it Grumpy Cars. A service for Grumpy Old Men, just call us and we bring a truckload of 10 sec 0 to 60 cars for you to take your pick from. A couple of Miatas, a Prius, a Beetle, maybe something from Smart. When the deal is done we will take your sports car away so you’ll never be tempted again!

And don’t tell me a Cayman / Boxster would be better, my Cayman R cruises at 90 and begs for more, so that is definitely too fast.

Ryan
Old 07-29-2018, 06:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

If we’d have any roads worth driving I’d have never sold my RSA.
When we move and I want something manual, a well sorted 964 hot rod over anything that came after please.

For the track a GT3RS PDK, once the NA ends, there will be loads of Turbo’s to pick from to go faster...

Old 07-29-2018, 07:07 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
If we’d have any roads worth driving I’d have never sold my RSA.
When we move and I want something manual, a well sorted 964 hot rod over anything that came after please.

For the track a GT3RS PDK, once the NA ends, there will be loads of Turbo’s to pick from to go faster...

I agree, I'm happy to trade in my Touring for the new RS for the track and I'm on the look out for a 964 for the street. I love the manual for the street but the new ones just are a diff animal to the 3 pedals of the past. I wish the RSAs would come down in price!
Old 08-03-2018, 06:18 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
... I generally find the GT4 to be more fun on the road than the GT3.
Originally Posted by Dewinator
... as cars get faster, the next incremental increase in power DOES become less critical to how good the car is. Handling, braking, noise, responsiveness, etc all become more and more important compared to power as the critical components of a great drivers car. Fortunately Porsche was thoughtful enough to bless the GT3 with all of them in spades.

I do love classic analog cars too though.
The answer is pre-991 GT3s: analogue steering (front and rear); analogue drivetrains (with PSM and TC off); and analogue gearboxes combined with amazing, naturally aspirated engines.

I had a GT4 and loved the brakes (steel) but the steering felt artificial and in the wet gave no sense of grip. The motor had plenty of torque but combined with the tall gearing felt flat in the upper reaches of 3rd gear. To get an inspiring sound you had to have the windows down and the loud exhaust button pushed.

I sold it and bought a 997 RS 4.0, which so far I've only driven on the road. It doesn't comply with the noise limits of tracks in my region - it's bizarre that some tracks have lower limits than the road - but I live in the Alps so the roads are no hardship. Yes you can use maximum revs in the 4.0 much less often than in the GT4 but the car is far more thrilling at any speed. It makes a much more authentic, musical, loud and exciting sound and feels so much more alive: more inertia-free; more on its toes; it writhes more out of a corner under full power; has more progressive breakaway; more understeer to manage in hairpins; a more challenging gearshift (heavier, notchier and lighter flywheel); and steering that feels mechanically connected and provides detailed feedback.

Although the power of many cars has become irrelevant, 500hp is useful for overtaking, an increasingly common necessity. However even though the 997 has less grip than a 991 you do need just the right sort of corner to get it sliding on the road so I am planning to try PS4Ss instead of Cup 2s at the next tyre change. The problem with the 991 on the road is not too much power but too much grip and less analogue sensory rewards.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
Hence the big surge in aircooled cars. My 7.2 gt3 , 991gts and most others too much for the streets. I can floor my 993c2s all the time. Take it to redline etc. way more fun on the road.
Aircooled for 110% fun!
Originally Posted by reidry
+ 1/2

The Dragon is an experience, however IMHO there are roads in that area that are much better. I've been to 7 Smokies GT events, somehow we find a new, awesome road each time.

If you haven't see "Feast for the Senses" that Porsche put out when the 991.1, it's worth the watch.

https://youtu.be/Xfi__aUgfgE

These cars are about exciting every human sense, some might say that the 991.2 adds a little more when equipped with a manual. The GT3 is an especially focused road car that is extremely track capable. The car is at it's best on a twisty back road. There are very few other cars that can keep up in the mountains and few other cars that can go lap after lap on track all day, all weekend.

I own a Spec Miata. While hammering the brakes going into Turn 17 at Sebring is a rush; acceleration is pretty sedate.

Ryan
I also have lots make than tons of fun in my Miata..... yup even at Sebring! But can’t wait for an aircooled....

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
It’s the good old saying “more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow”
Word! And specifically on the track!
Originally Posted by Manifold
The 991 GT3 thrives on the track - the harder you drive it, the better it is. I would even say that the GT3 is kind of boring when driven on track at 7/10ths and wants to be cranked up further (of course, the driver needs to be capable of doing so, which requires significant track experience).

Most other cars reveal their weaknesses (suspension too floppy, brakes not good enough, etc.) once you start to push them hard on the track. For example, the Cayman R is more fun on the road than the GT3, but on track near 10/10ths, the Cayman R is crap compared to the GT3 (I've driven them both back to back on track). I would even say that the GT4 begins to show weaknesses when pushed above about 8/10ths, hence a lot of track guys changing alignment, etc. with the GT4, but no need to do that with the GT3, and I generally find the GT4 to be more fun on the road than the GT3.
Definitely agree that the new 4.0 GT3 feels so much better/more fun when stretched hard!
Originally Posted by reidry
I will happily buy and trade a new Miata to anyone who wants to swap for their too fast .2 GT3. LOL

Ryan
LOL

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport
IT IS I...MIATA MAN! Here hunting for GT3 owners not having fun on the street and looking for an even trade

Epic!

Originally Posted by race7117
I agree, I'm happy to trade in my Touring for the new RS for the track and I'm on the look out for a 964 for the street. I love the manual for the street but the new ones just are a diff animal to the 3 pedals of the past. I wish the RSAs would come down in price!
Amen!!
Old 08-03-2018, 06:40 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Fully agree that this car is way too much for the street and it forces into serious judgement lapses . At 130 on a public road I would be having visions of reckless driving charges and an impounded car!
It is a daily struggle, even with 100hp less up here in Colorado. Let’s just say 40 to 90 mph comes very quickly with these cars. So easy to get in trouble. I have put about 26,000 mikes on mine over the past 2.5 years about i am lucky i have no tickets. Miracle actually.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:04 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
The answer is pre-991 GT3s: analogue steering (front and rear); analogue drivetrains (with PSM and TC off); and analogue gearboxes combined with amazing, naturally aspirated engines.

I sold it and bought a 997 RS 4.0, which so far I've only driven on the road. It doesn't comply with the noise limits of tracks in my region - it's bizarre that some tracks have lower limits than the road - but I live in the Alps so the roads are no hardship. Yes you can use maximum revs in the 4.0 much less often than in the GT4 but the car is far more thrilling at any speed. It makes a much more authentic, musical, loud and exciting sound and feels so much more alive: more inertia-free; more on its toes; it writhes more out of a corner under full power; has more progressive breakaway; more understeer to manage in hairpins; a more challenging gearshift (heavier, notchier and lighter flywheel); and steering that feels mechanically connected and provides detailed feedback.
I’m jealous! I’ve been thinking about maybe a 997 gt3 (non-rs because I don’t have that kind of money). My manual 360 only partially sated my need for a stick shift car that the pdk 991 gave me because it just doesn’t have the everyday usability that Porsches do. So I’ve been thinking about maybe adding a 997 gt3 or manual v8 vantage next. Or a Viper, I wish I had $$$ to just get them all. In blue obviously.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
WAAAAAA.....my car has too much power.....
True😂
Old 08-04-2018, 07:37 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dewinator

I’m jealous! I’ve been thinking about maybe a 997 gt3 (non-rs because I don’t have that kind of money). My manual 360 only partially sated my need for a stick shift car that the pdk 991 gave me because it just doesn’t have the everyday usability that Porsches do. So I’ve been thinking about maybe adding a 997 gt3 or manual v8 vantage next. Or a Viper, I wish I had $$$ to just get them all. In blue obviously.
I would love an old V8 Vantage for its timeless beauty and a 4.3 upgraded to 525hp by Bamford Rose would be fun but it's still a heavy car and you feel a bit like you're looking out a letterbox slot. You can't go past a 997 GT3 although the addition of a 964 RS (non A) would be ideal.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:57 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I’ve been looking at V8 Aston just for the V8 manual and looks.
But I live in the wrong part of the world to be able to enjoy it on the road and It would self distruct after 2 corners at Sebring.

I did daily drive my 997GT3 and two 997RS, even my 4.0 from 2008-2013.
I went from 4.0 to 964RSA, it was hot rodded and it was a fantastic car.
Probably if I hadn’t crashed it racing (fixed it) I would still have it today.

My next old car I hope is a euro 964RS.
If we had the roads, it would be another hot rod 964.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:11 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

TRAKCAR, what did you prefer about each of the RS 4.0 and hot rodded 964 RSA compared to each other? How did your 964's spec compare to a Euro 964 RS?
Old 08-04-2018, 08:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The 997 3.8RS VS 4.0, I preferred the suspension of the 3.8RS at Sebring. I drove another 4.0 (Back when everyone had one LOL!) and it was the same, so not just mine.
Of course the 4.0 power delivery was much better because it doesn’t have that hiccup in the powerband thy the 3.8 has.
The 4.0 could have a little more angle on the wing, but I ran Barron taller uprights on both, (see picture) so that was the same.
I ran same motor sport diff in all of them.
Otherwise I could only notice a difference on track stepping back into the 3.8RS after driving the 4.0; the 3.8RS felt slow, specially at lower RPM.
And I could never quite get over the whorehouse red ceiling ;-)

Then I got my 964RSA; when I bought it, it was a racecar, cage, fuel cell, CUP suspension, regeared gearbox, LSD, winged, splitter, it was both full street legal and PCA race legal. My first aircooled.
It drove wonderful. Loud with straight pipes and quiet with a Sport muffler.
No vibration, lovely to drive with windows down, it had great suspension, no power steering, no sunroof.

I took it to Sebring as soon as I got it and I couldn’t believe how similar it drove.
From 1993 to 2013, after 20 years the driving was so similar! Same brake points, same shift points the lap just took 8 seconds longer :-)
But Sebring all of a sudden became 2’ wider, haha.

Great cabin, seating position, sweet G50 box (Porsche’s best) ABS, proper suspension, even proper AC, just enough power to really enjoy it to the fullest on the road and I love how they look inside and out.
My interior was all original and stock, except the race seats and I put a custom welded cage in it.

So for the track RS PDK, if I go back to analog, I know where I’m going and I’ve never even driven a 964RS.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:55 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
While I don’t have a 991 GT3, I have a similar sentiment towards my 997.2 GT3 once I started tracking it regularly. It’s kinda boring on the street now that I know what it’s capable of. I have a modified 964 C2 to compliment the gt3.. I find the 964 WAY more entertaining to drive on the street given its performance is more accessible at sane speeds.
I remember you saying this previously, before I started tracking my GT3, and I thought you were crazy. Sure enough, now that I've started tracking my car, nothing even comes close to that experience on the street (even fun canyon roads like Malibu, ACH, etc.).
Old 08-04-2018, 01:40 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

TRAKCAR, what did you prefer about the 3.8 RS suspension over the 4.0s? Do the race seats give much extra headroom in the 964? I had a 911SC with standard seats and was a bit short on headroom.

Quick Reply: GT3.2 - too much for street fun?