Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3.2 - too much for street fun?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:40 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes Palting. You are not alone. Despite my (admittedly weak) efforts to resist temptation, the 991 GT3 makes a hooligan of me, even in normal street driving -
and stubbornly persists over the 30,000 Miles I've driven them. And I'm way too old not to know better!
Somehow, the GT3 causes momentary lapses of better judgement and seduces me into brief excursions into triple digit territory just to hear and feel those
addictive sensations from its marvelous Engine and highly responsive Chassis.
It isn't the HP that seduces me into childish road behavior. My 991 Turbo S has more HP and far more Torque, but somehow, just knowing that I can, with
the mildest flick of the throttle, relegate all the surrounding traffic into invisibility in my rear view mirror, frees me from any need for hooliganistic behavior.
The TTS settles me into a far more moderate, mundane and relaxed street driving style, blending smoothly into the surrounding average traffic.
Perhaps we GT3 owners need our own 12 step program to address our addiction.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:01 PM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 17 Posts

Coming from the GT4, my first impression was: the manual .2 GT3 is simply in another league on my typical Sunday morning country road trip.

When I discovered the already insane speed range in the GT4 had gone up by a good margin, I began asking myself if the GT3 might be slightly over
the top for that use and bettre suited for the track.

After more miles, I tend to say, as fascinating as the GT3 might be, the GT4 was just right for street use. OK, after it was modified with headers,
plenum and remapping at least.

No question the GT3 does virtially everything that edge "better", and the engine has just so much more punch and that glorious top end,
but I truly feel the GT4 delivered at least the same fun one level below. More important, it delivered at speeds where the GT3 would feel
bored and unchallenged. The GT4 has that special magic which makes you smile after 1 mile, maybe after the first upshift with some coughing.

Don´t get me wrong, I really love the GT3 for all it is, but I do miss my GT4 anyway. Luckily, I kept it and can´t wait reanimate it next season,
as I´m planning to switch back and forth beetween the to every 4 months or so next year.

Peter
Old 07-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
It’s the good old saying “more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow”
Finding out that it's absolutely true!
Old 07-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by localmotion411

Can’t this be said for any car driven on both the track and the street?

Maybe I shouldn’t ever take mine to the track in order to ensure maximum fun is had on the street.
I hope you're saying this firmly tongue in cheek The GT3 comes alive at the track, the only logical and sane place to let it all out and maximize the fun. You will love it that much more, albeit with the new knowledge that you'll have to rein it in for the streets.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:51 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
Coming from the GT4, my first impression was: the manual .2 GT3 is simply in another league on my typical Sunday morning country road trip.

When I discovered the already insane speed range in the GT4 had gone up by a good margin, I began asking myself if the GT3 might be slightly over
the top for that use and bettre suited for the track.

After more miles, I tend to say, as fascinating as the GT3 might be, the GT4 was just right for street use. OK, after it was modified with headers,
plenum and remapping at least.

No question the GT3 does virtially everything that edge "better", and the engine has just so much more punch and that glorious top end,
but I truly feel the GT4 delivered at least the same fun one level below. More important, it delivered at speeds where the GT3 would feel
bored and unchallenged. The GT4 has that special magic which makes you smile after 1 mile, maybe after the first upshift with some coughing.

Don´t get me wrong, I really love the GT3 for all it is, but I do miss my GT4 anyway. Luckily, I kept it and can´t wait reanimate it next season,
as I´m planning to switch back and forth beetween the to every 4 months or so next year.

Peter
I absolutely agree as I also went from GT4 to GT3 6MT. Luckily my daily commute is heavy on the rural backroads. I would feel cheated if I didn't take a spin in the GT3 and at least hit 7k if not 9k once during.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:30 PM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

WAAAAAA.....my car has too much power.....
Old 07-20-2018, 02:37 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by arek
I've been daily-driving the new Turbo S since I got it in 2016. Took several tickets for me to learn how to do it, it's definitely a struggle. I only use it in very short bursts. Quick acceleration off the line or to pass someone here and there. My foot never stays down for more than just couple of seconds. Driving in manual PDK helps because it doesn't downshift from 5th to 2nd when you get on it. I love knowing that I have this power though, and it feels great when I finally get to open it fully up after Turn 11 at Laguna Seca
My modified 7.1 Turbo is insane, I cant imagine how a new TTS would be with the launch control and PDK shifting faster than I ever could...
Old 07-20-2018, 04:14 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12
My modified 7.1 Turbo is insane, I cant imagine how a new TTS would be with the launch control and PDK shifting faster than I ever could...
What have you done to your 997.1TT? I had a 997.1TT with just a tune and exhaust, and it definitely felt slow compared to either of my 991 cars. The PDK is amazing, and the cars came a long, long way in one generation. Of course if your TT is 1000hp+ then it's a different story!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:24 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
What have you done to your 997.1TT? I had a 997.1TT with just a tune and exhaust, and it definitely felt slow compared to either of my 991 cars. The PDK is amazing, and the cars came a long, long way in one generation. Of course if your TT is 1000hp+ then it's a different story!
Exhaust, tune, intercoolers which makes it plenty fast. Going to e85 and better VTGs after to get closer to 800. But what makes it is the suspension work the previous owner put into it. Maybe as a young guy trying to make it I haven't driven enough P-Cars. I drove my doctors 991.1 Targa 4S for a weekend and it was so slow and couldn't handle anywhere close to what my 7.1 TT can take.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:29 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
WAAAAAA.....my car has too much power.....
Old 07-20-2018, 04:37 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA12
Exhaust, tune, intercoolers which makes it plenty fast. Going to e85 and better VTGs after to get closer to 800. But what makes it is the suspension work the previous owner put into it. Maybe as a young guy trying to make it I haven't driven enough P-Cars. I drove my doctors 991.1 Targa 4S for a weekend and it was so slow and couldn't handle anywhere close to what my 7.1 TT can take.
Yes, the only N/A Porsches that interest me are the GT cars. The S or base prior to the 991.2 where they added the turbos just don't feel fast enough for me. When I was shopping for my first 911 I was initially looking for an S, but after a test drive I quickly ruled it out and went for the TT instead. The GT cars however are a completely different beast. When I traded in my TT for a 991.1 GT3 I immediately noticed the lack of torque compared to the TT, but it still felt like (and was) a fast car unlike the non-GT models. The 997.1TT is a great car and an amazing platform for making reliable and fun power. I had mine 3.5 years, which is longer than any other sports car so far.

The real problem with the 991.2 GT3 isn't that it's too fast for the street, it's that it's constantly egging you on wanting you to rev it out and drive like a mad man. It's the personality of the car, not the power that's the problem.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
The real problem with the 991.2 GT3 isn't that it's too fast for the street, it's that it's constantly egging you on wanting you to rev it out and drive like a mad man. It's the personality of the car, not the power that's the problem.
Most cars, including cars which aren't sport cars, can be chronically driven at speeds far above speed limits. The question is how fun a car is when driven at realistic road speeds. That's a function of many factors besides power and acceleration, such as handling, steering feel, brake feel, sound, shifting method, ergonomics, aesthetics, etc. For me, the GT3 is a bit of a tease until the speeds are 2-3X speed limits.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:05 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Yes Palting. You are not alone. Despite my (admittedly weak) efforts to resist temptation, the 991 GT3 makes a hooligan of me, even in normal street driving -
and stubbornly persists over the 30,000 Miles I've driven them. And I'm way too old not to know better!
Somehow, the GT3 causes momentary lapses of better judgement and seduces me into brief excursions into triple digit territory just to hear and feel those
addictive sensations from its marvelous Engine and highly responsive Chassis.
It isn't the HP that seduces me into childish road behavior. My 991 Turbo S has more HP and far more Torque, but somehow, just knowing that I can, with
the mildest flick of the throttle, relegate all the surrounding traffic into invisibility in my rear view mirror, frees me from any need for hooliganistic behavior.
The TTS settles me into a far more moderate, mundane and relaxed street driving style, blending smoothly into the surrounding average traffic.
Perhaps we GT3 owners need our own 12 step program to address our addiction.
I would be down with that 12 step program. These cars make jerks out of decent people.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:17 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robmypro

I would be down with that 12 step program. These cars make jerks out of decent people.
Let’s see, this is my 3rd Porsche GT car. If this is step 3 of 12, this is going to be expensive!

Ryan
Old 07-20-2018, 05:19 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manifold
Most cars, including cars which aren't sport cars, can be chronically driven at speeds far above speed limits. The question is how fun a car is when driven at realistic road speeds. That's a function of many factors besides power and acceleration, such as handling, steering feel, brake feel, sound, shifting method, ergonomics, aesthetics, etc. For me, the GT3 is a bit of a tease until the speeds are 2-3X speed limits.
I will happily buy and trade a new Miata to anyone who wants to swap for their too fast .2 GT3. LOL

Ryan

Quick Reply: GT3.2 - too much for street fun?