Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:02 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by italiafan

Joy on the "Dragon!"

+ 1/2

The Dragon is an experience, however IMHO there are roads in that area that are much better. I've been to 7 Smokies GT events, somehow we find a new, awesome road each time.

If you haven't see "Feast for the Senses" that Porsche put out when the 991.1, it's worth the watch.

These cars are about exciting every human sense, some might say that the 991.2 adds a little more when equipped with a manual. The GT3 is an especially focused road car that is extremely track capable. The car is at it's best on a twisty back road. There are very few other cars that can keep up in the mountains and few other cars that can go lap after lap on track all day, all weekend.

I own a Spec Miata. While hammering the brakes going into Turn 17 at Sebring is a rush; acceleration is pretty sedate.

Ryan
Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Every car I've ever had has felt too slow, and I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since 2007. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my GTS turbos and intercoolers and headers etc. My 991.2 GT3 is going to be my "slow" car.

IMHO you can never have too much power, you just have to know how to use it responsibly. I like to be shoved back in my seat for a second or two, that's all I need. I want that shove to be something I really feel. I don't care about having 10 seconds to wring it out to redline. I want something shorter and more intense, not a low intensity long drawn out thing. But that's me, I know other people disagree.

I know people will feel inclined to say Porsches are not about drag times or straight line acceleration and I should just get a Mustang etc ad nauseam, but I want a Porsche and I want a fast and fun Porsche. Thankfully, these days it's easy to find that.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:03 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

^^^ I agree. Test drive a 720s. Trust me.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:13 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

One only needs so much money to be comfortable and who needs a house that is too big!!!!! ???

I find the .2 just about right for the street. The GT4 was perfect but lacked that extra punch one needed for a NA Manual. The .2 has answered all my calls.

True- you can only drive so fast on the street but that punch with the screaming 9000 engine with the steering/transmission is just sublime.- Looks the part too
Old 07-20-2018, 12:07 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
+ 1/2

The Dragon is an experience, however IMHO there are roads in that area that are much better. I've been to 7 Smokies GT events, somehow we find a new, awesome road each time.

If you haven't see "Feast for the Senses" that Porsche put out when the 991.1, it's worth the watch.

https://youtu.be/Xfi__aUgfgE

These cars are about exciting every human sense, some might say that the 991.2 adds a little more when equipped with a manual. The GT3 is an especially focused road car that is extremely track capable. The car is at it's best on a twisty back road. There are very few other cars that can keep up in the mountains and few other cars that can go lap after lap on track all day, all weekend.

I own a Spec Miata. While hammering the brakes going into Turn 17 at Sebring is a rush; acceleration is pretty sedate.

Ryan
you mean rt 28 north of Franklin?
or...Wayah Road?
Old 07-20-2018, 12:46 AM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

While I don’t have a 991 GT3, I have a similar sentiment towards my 997.2 GT3 once I started tracking it regularly. It’s kinda boring on the street now that I know what it’s capable of. I have a modified 964 C2 to compliment the gt3.. I find the 964 WAY more entertaining to drive on the street given its performance is more accessible at sane speeds.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:01 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 198 Posts

It’s the good old saying “more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow”
Old 07-20-2018, 08:23 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by italiafan

you mean rt 28 north of Franklin?
or...Wayah Road?
You forgot the secret handshake and the first rule of drive club

but ... Wayah Road ... had me at hello! This spring we discovered Wayah's sister!

Ryan
Old 07-20-2018, 08:26 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
It’s the good old saying “more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow”
My own empirical evidence indicates that this is patently untrue. I had occasion to have several trips to the same rural section of the UK with a slew of various rental cars. Slow cars are slow cars and not really "fun" in my experience.

Ryan
Old 07-20-2018, 08:33 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
Only applies on a race track, not really the same on the street.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
While I don’t have a 991 GT3, I have a similar sentiment towards my 997.2 GT3 once I started tracking it regularly. It’s kinda boring on the street now that I know what it’s capable of. I have a modified 964 C2 to compliment the gt3.. I find the 964 WAY more entertaining to drive on the street given its performance is more accessible at sane speeds.
This. Having driven the 991 GT3 hard for more than 7K track miles, nothing I can do it with it on the road begins to compare.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:49 AM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
This. Having driven the 991 GT3 hard for more than 7K track miles, nothing I can do it with it on the road begins to compare.
Can’t this be said for any car driven on both the track and the street?

Maybe I shouldn’t ever take mine to the track in order to ensure maximum fun is had on the street.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:06 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

I haven't taken delivery of my GT3 yet but with the GT4 it often felt that way. However these things are just special to putz around town. I don't worry too much about going quick in them on the road...........unless I am following Phil, Allan, or Andy down at Smokies then all hell breaks loose on the road. But for street fun honestly I loved my E36M3 and my current GTI. You have to really work those cars for speed. I drove a miata RF recently and that was just silly fun.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:06 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by localmotion411

Can’t this be said for any car driven on both the track and the street?

Maybe I shouldn’t ever take mine to the track in order to ensure maximum fun is had on the street.
The 991 GT3 thrives on the track - the harder you drive it, the better it is. I would even say that the GT3 is kind of boring when driven on track at 7/10ths and wants to be cranked up further (of course, the driver needs to be capable of doing so, which requires significant track experience).

Most other cars reveal their weaknesses (suspension too floppy, brakes not good enough, etc.) once you start to push them hard on the track. For example, the Cayman R is more fun on the road than the GT3, but on track near 10/10ths, the Cayman R is crap compared to the GT3 (I've driven them both back to back on track). I would even say that the GT4 begins to show weaknesses when pushed above about 8/10ths, hence a lot of track guys changing alignment, etc. with the GT4, but no need to do that with the GT3, and I generally find the GT4 to be more fun on the road than the GT3.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:26 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm with you 100%. My 981 Boxster GTS was better for the street. I didn't buy my GT3 for the street though.

Anyone buying a GT3 and not going to the track though... well... I'm sure you love your fancy car, but you're either way too enamoured with the image of a GT3 or haven't driven a "lesser" better car enough to appreciate what makes them better.

Horses for courses, as they say.

Quick Reply: GT3.2 - too much for street fun?