991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm trading in my 991.2 GT3 for a ........station wagon

Old 07-16-2018, 10:28 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

I love the station wagon! But you have to take this thing to the Track! I would love to have one just so I could blow the doors off some GT cars in a wagon. I will be looking for a gently used one in about 2 years.......maybe sooner
Old 07-16-2018, 10:34 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I love the station wagon! But you have to take this thing to the Track! I would love to have one just so I could blow the doors off some GT cars in a wagon. I will be looking for a gently used one in about 2 years.......maybe sooner
I'll have to think about it.

Considering our altitude around here (6300ft at my house), the Sport Turismo with a turbo charged engine, electric motor, and PDK is probably just as fast if not slightly quicker than the manual GT3. It's a surprisingly quick car.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 PM
HNSC4S
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
Like the title says, I'm trading in my 991.2 GT3 later this week for a station wagon. A Panamera 4 E-hybrid Sport Turismo. I'm sure a lot of you will think I'm absolutely crazy (I probably am) and I have no doubt that I will have some regrets in the future.

But let me try to explain.

Unlike many of you on this board, buying a brand new GT3 was a big stretch financially. Honestly, I didn't expect to get an allocation, so when it happened, I pretty much scraped everything I could pull together to buy it. It is my absolute dream car, and it's been everything I could have imagined. But pretty quickly I began to realize two things.

First, it was too expensive for me to regularly track. In order to track it regularly I would have to make too many other financial sacrifices which I wasn't ready to do. Second, my wife and I adopted our third child last spring so we suddenly went from a four person family, to five. I really missed taking my kids with me in my 991.1 C4S. We used to go out as a family for dinner, skiing, drives up Pikes Peak, etc. We had a lot of fun in the car. Now with the GT3 I pretty much go on drives by myself.

I started thinking about what I could get instead. Pretty much nothing excited me. I test drove a Boxster spyder, but it didn't have the same specialness as the GT3. I thought about a Targa or a Turbo, but with three kids we still wouldn't be able to go out as a family. Everything else I considered felt like a very expensive downgrade that would still sit in the garage and be driven by myself.

My wife suggested a Sport Turismo. I've always been a fan of wagons, it has five seats, I can drive it year round, it's a hybrid (I actually like electric cars so shoot me), it got a ton of amazing tech, and it still drives relatively fast. After test driving one I fell in love. I realized I would spend way more time in this car, daily driving, going out as a family, head to the ski resorts. So I decided to pull the trigger and had my dealership find one on the east coast with the specs I wanted. It just got here today and should be ready later this week.

My time with my GT3 is almost over. I thought for sure this would be the car I hold onto for ever. I spent an amazing 3500 miles with the car and will never regret this experience. It was my first GT car, and my first custom ordered Porsche. If things continue to go well for my family I'm sure I'll eventually have another GT car in the stable. For now the Sport Turismo will have to do. I am hoping to pick up a less expensive track car (996/997 Carrera S or 987 Cayman for example) or possibly go the air cooled route as a fun weekend car next spring. It will probably be a last minute decision as something pops up for sale. I also put my name on the list for the Taycan (Mission E), so the Sport Turismo may be replaced in the next couple of years.

Hopefully I'll be back to the GT world at some point. They truly are amazing cars.
hope you enjoy the new car. I think I saw your gt3 on 24 this weekend on our way up to Crested Butte for the week. Great looking car!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

It sounds like you did the right thing. Congrats!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:58 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed. Sounds like the best move for you. The GT3 is great but at the end of the day its just a car. Good luck with the sport Turismo!
Old 07-16-2018, 11:10 PM
fabe32
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very similar story here.
I had a 2016 991 GT3 and a Cayenne Diesel and got an allocation at sticker for a 991.2 GT3RS (like really) with a Nov delivery.
I sold my GT3 back to my dealer when I had my GT3RS allocation secured and a few months later, turned in my leased Diesel Cayenne in and got a Sport Turismo Turbo, full options.
Just before my order on the GT3RS froze, I declined the allocation. It was a hard decision.
GT3 and GT3RS are track cars and not that fun (in my world) on the road. I told my fiance, the GT3 is my "frustration car": want to drive it fast, but can't get to rev or speed because of traffic, cops etc. Don't get me wrong, amazing car and experience, especially on the track, but ultimately too expensive for my me to track seriously.
Yes, I could have had a 991.2 GT3RS but for what reason ? Do coffee and croissant (not my thing), admire her in the garage (sad), track her (too costly for me).
So, now, I have the turbo sport turismo with burmeister and tons of options I don't need. It is an amazing car, so powerful, comfortable, luxurious etc. I enjoy it way more than the cayenne diesel (which is very nice). I miss the GT3 NA for sure.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:28 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

To the OP.. why not a regular Turbo though? Lighter for handling purposes, less complex mix and still amazing power.. also, considerably less expensive. Seems like the sweet spot in the range?

Just curious
Old 07-17-2018, 05:02 AM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
To the OP.. why not a regular Turbo though? Lighter for handling purposes, less complex mix and still amazing power.. also, considerably less expensive. Seems like the sweet spot in the range?

Just curious
spot on with this, have driven the normal turbo and the turbo s (hybrid) and whilst the turbo S is marginally faster in a straight line the non hybrid turbo feels like a much better car. it is 700 pounds lighter! a no brainer really, unless you have some serious $$$ incentives to go hybrid
Old 07-17-2018, 07:05 AM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Much respect for putting priorities in the right order and getting the right car for the job.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Why are you trading? I’m in Denver, not in the market for a GT3, but I suspect, you’re leaving a little more than a PRE-TAX week’s worth of money on the table if you make $500,000 to $1,000,000 a year! $10,000 to $20,000. If you make less than that, then you are leaving more pretax weeks on the table. Nothing wrong with being lazy, if your kids college funds and your retirement is fully funded. A fool and his money...
Old 07-17-2018, 07:45 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

The Sport Turismo plus a .1 GT3 is outside of my budget. I'm targeting something <$50k if I go the track route, or in the $50k-$75k if I go the air-cooled weekend route.
Clearly your a good man and good father. I admire your choice and the reasons.

As as for a track toy I use Mustangs. They go like stink, reliable as anvils and are relatively inexpensive to maintain and fix. A GT350 track pack can be had in your range under warranty. Other good choices are available too. ‘15 Z28s can be bought cheap. Standard Boss 302s are great track cars. You can get them in the $30k range and are very fun cars with loads of character. All the foregoing have back seats for the kids too.

Good of luck with your new car! Love it!👍

Old 07-17-2018, 08:07 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Like the title says, I'm trading in my 991.2 GT3 later this week for a station wagon. A Panamera 4 E-hybrid Sport Turismo.
Originally Posted by CAlexio

Just curious
You do realize that all Panameras now come standard with some sort of turbo charged engine, don't you. Therefore the Turbo (in the classical sense) that you are thinking off costs quite a bit more.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:16 AM
Fast Doc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it’s pretty gutsy to go with a Panamera in this forum.

There is so much ego here. But I understand completely where your thoughts are, as it is right where my wife’s are.

She would love me to get rid of the GT3 and get a Panamera but I am in denial about what is practical and what is fun.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Kudos on your priorities. Do what pleases you! Good call on the wagon. I recently bought one and would always own a wagon now.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:31 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

To be clear I'm getting the 4 E-hybrid not the Turbo S hybrid. About $75k difference in starting price.

The Sport Turismo is much cheaper than my current GT3 (yes the ST will depreciate like a brick), but I'm also selling my daily driver at the same time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm trading in my 991.2 GT3 for a ........station wagon