Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF Sun Tek Ultra Experience and Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 05:05 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

To be clear, the damage to the Clearplex Ultra film seen on the hood seems substantial when compared to similar damage with Clearplex on another vehicle that required repair. In that case, the film did not need to be replaced which seems to suggest again difference between Clearplex Ultra and the original Clearplex film Granted, the Clearplex film on the other vehicle had a nanocoat and, we're still waiting on testing results. In fact, that's why I'm updating today. I thought we'd have results by August 6, 2018 but like every good hard worker, vacations need to be taken. I hope to have further news after August 18, 2018.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:50 PM
2016mwk4sporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so not to sound dumb but with Suntek wouldn't the CQuarts impact the Sunteks ability to repair itself upon minor impacts or scratches. I have heard that if it is scratched it can repair itself if you park it in the sun for a period of time and it will fill in and repair itself. I understand that CQuarts could prevent further damage from an impact but isn't that over doing it a bit. Just trying to understand all of he ins and outs of the PPF world... Thanks,
Old 09-12-2018, 05:21 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2016mwk4sporsche
Ok so not to sound dumb but with Suntek wouldn't the CQuarts impact the Sunteks ability to repair itself upon minor impacts or scratches. I have heard that if it is scratched it can repair itself if you park it in the sun for a period of time and it will fill in and repair itself. I understand that CQuarts could prevent further damage from an impact but isn't that over doing it a bit. Just trying to understand all of he ins and outs of the PPF world... Thanks,
I've seen videos from XPEL showing "self-repairing" film that happens with the application of hot or warm water. I'm very skeptical that is what is happening. To my knowledge, Suntek doesn't claim a self-repairing feature. In short, I don't think there is a magic self-repair feature going on that we need to be concerned with.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:32 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
I've seen videos from XPEL showing "self-repairing" film that happens with the application of hot or warm water. I'm very skeptical that is what is happening. To my knowledge, Suntek doesn't claim a self-repairing feature. In short, I don't think there is a magic self-repair feature going on that we need to be concerned with.
I have Suntek Ultra on my car (with ceramic coating). And correct, it does not self-heal like you see in videos.

Moreover, my rear fenders in front of the wheels (just behind the door) are all pitted and torn up from road debris. Don't really notice it from a few feet away from the car. But when washing the car and you're in close with a wash mitt, you're like WTF it looks like someone took a shotgun to my quarter panels lol.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:41 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

So, I want to thank Moe for having taken the time to do testing. Moe went out of the way to do this testing, at no cost, to get to the bottom of this issue. It was a learning experience for both of us with Moe doing all the heavy lifting and covering the expense to do so. I could not have asked for better customer service and support.

Testing was done on multiple films including Suntek, Suntek Ultra, XPEL, 3M and I believe a film called Auto Haus. Without nano, all breached. With nano, all breached. The best theory we have why there was no penetration of the film on my GT3 and Cayenne on aggressive power washing is that over time, the adhesive, the film and, the application of nano and reloads to the nano created further curing, hardening and more durable adhesive and film. We believe the adhesive may have hardened and, the additional coats of reload could all be factors. Another possible theory is that the Suntek that was used 3 years ago was a superior film. However, that's probably not as good of a theory given we'd be taking about a "super film" that they should have kept selling and, was somehow better than the best stuff that's on the market now which is rather unlikely. I'm ruling out other possibilities including installation, the shape of the vehicle, the testing and the control pressure washer. The hardening over time theory can be tested as the film can be tested six months, a year or two down the road again. That option is available and, we may revisit this again but at this point, I can't find fault with the PPF since they're all subject to breach with and without nano coating.

At this point, in addition to having completed testing on why the GT3 and Cayenne are immune to power washing problems but new film fails, Moe will be replacing film where the breached occurred, and will cover the costs of prep for nano coating. That's extraordinary customer service and, I can't say enough good things about Moe and Glistening Perfection other than to simply say, Moe stands behind his work. Once replaced, I'm guess I'm just going to have to take it easy with the power washer and, perhaps over time, the PPF will harden and I can wash the Macan the same as the other cars. Until then, I'm happy to know we did everything we could to get to the bottom of this issue.

Thank you Moe.

Dan (updates on a comparatively minor issue during a time when people are getting their deposits and GT2 RS's stolen)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:09 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
I’ve seen that in person on my car, i used my fingernail and tested a kitchen sponge on it, those are not substantial “scratches” so take it for what it is. This was on the hot hood so after a hour or so the swirls were gone. My XPEL was gummy, I had so many problems with it that had it pulled off. So I don’t understand how they can put a ceramic coating over it when the material is not solid.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
So, I want to thank Moe for having taken the time to do testing. Moe went out of the way to do this testing, at no cost, to get to the bottom of this issue. It was a learning experience for both of us with Moe doing all the heavy lifting and covering the expense to do so. I could not have asked for better customer service and support.

Testing was done on multiple films including Suntek, Suntek Ultra, XPEL, 3M and I believe a film called Auto Haus. Without nano, all breached. With nano, all breached. The best theory we have why there was no penetration of the film on my GT3 and Cayenne on aggressive power washing is that over time, the adhesive, the film and, the application of nano and reloads to the nano created further curing, hardening and more durable adhesive and film. We believe the adhesive may have hardened and, the additional coats of reload could all be factors. Another possible theory is that the Suntek that was used 3 years ago was a superior film. However, that's probably not as good of a theory given we'd be taking about a "super film" that they should have kept selling and, was somehow better than the best stuff that's on the market now which is rather unlikely. I'm ruling out other possibilities including installation, the shape of the vehicle, the testing and the control pressure washer. The hardening over time theory can be tested as the film can be tested six months, a year or two down the road again. That option is available and, we may revisit this again but at this point, I can't find fault with the PPF since they're all subject to breach with and without nano coating.

At this point, in addition to having completed testing on why the GT3 and Cayenne are immune to power washing problems but new film fails, Moe will be replacing film where the breached occurred, and will cover the costs of prep for nano coating. That's extraordinary customer service and, I can't say enough good things about Moe and Glistening Perfection other than to simply say, Moe stands behind his work. Once replaced, I'm guess I'm just going to have to take it easy with the power washer and, perhaps over time, the PPF will harden and I can wash the Macan the same as the other cars. Until then, I'm happy to know we did everything we could to get to the bottom of this issue.

Thank you Moe.

Dan (updates on a comparatively minor issue during a time when people are getting their deposits and GT2 RS's stolen)
My car is 3 months old. Brand new Suntek Ultra installed. Not sure what pressure washer you're using in these tests, but I've got no issues with mine. It does not tear up the film on my car. *shrug*. I'm using a cheap Sun Joe SPX3200 with 25-degree nozzle. I started out using the 40-degree. But I like the 25 more. I can hold my hand up in front of the thing and it doesn't hurt. So I doubt it's going to be tearing through PPF any time soon. If you're using a pressure washer that will break your skin, then sure... it's going to put a hole in your clear bra.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:11 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,771 Likes on 4,772 Posts

The self-healing for Xpel works.

Seen it first-hand.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:40 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The self-healing for Xpel works.

Seen it first-hand.
Interesting. Guess scratch’s fill in cause it’s more of a gummy gel as described. Doubt it will work after a nano coat.

Dan (will be dealing with this tomorrow)
Old 09-14-2018, 12:23 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Few points of clarification:

1. Film in question on Dan’s Macan is Suntek PPF Ultra. It’s currently the high line film offered by Suntek and we’ve seen excellent performance on hundreds of installs.

2. Initially, I was puzzled as to the use of pressure washer that close to the film, and once we got past the obvious “don’t get that close”, I understood where Dan was coming from when he had me use pressure washer on his Cayenne at that same distance.

his concern was making a correlation between the integrity and durability of the film protecting his previous vehicles.

once I wrapped my head around that idea, my goal was to come up with the best answer/s to the problem.

glad we did our tests, and we gained a lot of knowledge...of particular interest, how well nano coating affects the performance of ALL the films we tested...we are now even bigger advocates of nano coating on ppf.

3. Self healing aspect of any film, refers to minor imperfections within the top .5 mils of the ppf, give or take. Once the damage has breached deeper into the self healing layer, you can no longer “heal”.

So, things like rock chips, scrapes, gashes, etc. in the film, cannot heal.

4. Nano, from our experience, has not hindered the self healing abilities of any film we’ve used...if anything, nano coatings, we use CQuartz Professional and Reserve, has only enhanced the appearance and performance of the film. I’m not sure of other nano products and their affect on film, but the two mentioned above, play nice in the sandbox with ppf.

hope this helps
Old 09-14-2018, 03:54 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

After first hand look at the test results, I’m switching to XPEL going forward. It did not appear to have the penetration happening with Suntek/ST Ultra.

Dan (updates)
Old 09-14-2018, 03:57 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
After first hand look at the test results, I’m switching to XPEL going forward. It did not appear to have the penetration happening with Suntek/ST Ultra.

Dan (updates)
Can you elaborate?
Old 09-14-2018, 04:09 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM

Can you elaborate?
XPEL did better. Knowing this now, after testing, I’ve decided to change film going forward. Anyone putting on film should discuss this with their PPF installer if they are inclined.

Dan (made an informed change)
Old 09-14-2018, 04:16 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

My GT3 has Suntek Ultra done by Moe @ GP and so far I have 0 issues or complaints I will say, but thanks for posting this information appreciate it. Always good to hear good and bad experiences. Will sync with Moe when I return from a work trip since my car is in his care now, but I will say I've had no reason to question Moe's judgment or opinion personally. Absolutely love the way my car looks (can't see any PPF unless you put your eyes within a couple feet of the car) and so far film has held up well on my end blitzing it on ACH
Old 09-14-2018, 04:24 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Duribity goes to Xpel ultimate
Clarity goes to Suntek Ultra
What's more important to you ?
That's a decision each of us will need to make. Always choose the installer before the product.

Quick Reply: PPF Sun Tek Ultra Experience and Opinions?