Quick visit to Nurburgring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Quick visit to Nurburgring?

(X-Post also on GT4 forum)

We will be traveling back to Amsterdam from Switzerland end of this week. We need to get back to AMS by early Saturday evening, so I'm thinking we may leave Friday afternoon, stay near Nurburgring, and try for a 'ring visit Saturday morning. I've never been, and will have wife and two boys (ages 14 and 10) in tow. Whole bunch of questions, and I'd be grateful for input from those who have been there....

1. Recommendations on nearby hotel?
2. Recommendation for place to see largest assembly of cars in one place? (Boys would enjoy, and selfishly I'm trying to sort out my next P-car once expat gig over.)
3. Recommendation for place to view the track for an hour or so?
4. Recommendation for ring taxi?
5. When does track open?

We probably won't have time for all of it, but good to have options, and this is just a scouting run....

​​​​​​​Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:44 PM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick answer, sure others will chime in.
2. Zufahrt (parking at the entrance of the Nordschleife)
3. Brünnchen is easiest
5. https://www.greenhelldriving.nuerburgring.de/#/landing (Open from 08:00 til 19:00)
Old 07-16-2018, 02:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Andover Bill
(X-Post also on GT4 forum)

We will be traveling back to Amsterdam from Switzerland end of this week. We need to get back to AMS by early Saturday evening, so I'm thinking we may leave Friday afternoon, stay near Nurburgring, and try for a 'ring visit Saturday morning. I've never been, and will have wife and two boys (ages 14 and 10) in tow. Whole bunch of questions, and I'd be grateful for input from those who have been there....

1. Recommendations on nearby hotel?
2. Recommendation for place to see largest assembly of cars in one place? (Boys would enjoy, and selfishly I'm trying to sort out my next P-car once expat gig over.)
3. Recommendation for place to view the track for an hour or so?
4. Recommendation for ring taxi?
5. When does track open?

We probably won't have time for all of it, but good to have options, and this is just a scouting run....

​​​​​​​Thanks for sharing!
For hotels:
- Dorint
- Am Tiergarten
- Zur Burg
- Renn Hotel
- Blau Ecke (in Adenaur)

- checkout the car park at the main entrance (as previous poster suggested)
- I agree that Brunnchen is the easiest place to view here: Brunnchen
- For Ring Taxi I would suggest contacting Theo/Heide @ rentracecar.de
Old 07-16-2018, 03:36 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

I was just there a month ago and stayed at Hotel Garni Retterath. Would recommend to anyone.

If you want to see the cars moving, Brunnchen ("YouTube corner"), otherwise the carpark at the Ring itself always has cars.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:28 PM
beoliving
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

please have in mind, this weekend is Porsche Sports Cup at the GP course. So that bring an extra kick for the Porsche lover! Nordschleife should be open for public driving, but hotels might be more difficult to get.

https://www.porsche.com/porschesport.../nuerburgring/

the link lists hotels Porsche recommends.

On your way up, couple of intersting stops:

Classic Remise Düsseldorf

Porsche Zentrum Bensberg (Cologne), usually a lot PTS cars on the shop floor

If you have time left, Porsche Centrum Gelderland is one of the most intersting Porsche dealerships in Europe, located on your way to Amsterdam in the neatherlands.
The following users liked this post:
pdkisgay (03-14-2022)
Old 07-16-2018, 04:58 PM
Nagata-San
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll be there this WE. Come check me up if you wanna discuss and drive / passenger.

White 991 GT3 RS / Swiss plates VD20584 / Fabsan84 sticker on windshield.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nagata-San:
leonidas1911 (03-03-2022), pdkisgay (03-14-2022)
Old 07-16-2018, 05:08 PM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Many thanks all!
Old 07-16-2018, 05:28 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Or just talk to the guys over at Apex, and they will check all items on your list.

Cool cars to look at.
Accommodations for you and the family.
Some awesome Ring taxis

https://www.apex-nuerburg.com/
Old 07-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

The garages at the Dorint and the Lindberg hotels contains a lot of nice cars from time to time.
No guarantee though.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:56 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

I almost always stays at Hotell Am Tiergarten ( family of Sabine Schmit)
send an email to

info@am-tiergarten.de

They are located 10 minutes of walking from the GP track part, and 5 minutes drive to the Tourist Farten pit.

Wery good food and good service.

Have a great trip.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:04 AM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

As an American, I go to Nurburg 5x a year to drive the track and now to Race. I know the do's and do nots by now lol..

1. Recommendations on nearby hotel? Hotel Zur Burg Nurburg - 100Euro or less and good breakfast included. Close to Track
2. Recommendation for place to see largest assembly of cars in one place? (Boys would enjoy, and selfishly I'm trying to sort out my next P-car once expat gig over.) Entrance to Track for Tourist Drive. Google map Hells Diner or Nordschliefe. Also the gas station on Dottingerhohe.
3. Recommendation for place to view the track for an hour or so? Brunchen or Pflanzgarten. Ask anyone for directions, its easy to find. If you cant find PM and I can show you on a map.
4. Recommendation for ring taxi? Waste of money IMO... Lol. You can get 2 laps in a Megane RS from RSR or 3 laps in a full on race car for that. YOU drive. If you must though, which I respect if you're not into driving. Try the actual "Ring Taxi" or Apex (which now has a ride in a 720 for 299 Euro). There are a few Rennlisters who may take you as well. (Kobalt, which I can vouch for, will you give you fast, fun and safe ride).
5. When does track open? 5:15PM mostly every day for Tourist drive and there are cars testing / track days / driving schools typically before that. Might get lucky and catch an RCN or VLN race as well!
The following users liked this post:
pdkisgay (03-14-2022)
Old 07-17-2018, 05:29 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

The track opens 8.00 on Saturday.

https://www.greenhelldriving.nuerburgring.de/#/landing
Old 07-17-2018, 06:00 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Some other easy to access spots:

Bridge: to the right of bridge there is a marshal post that you might be able to enter. Cars pass there at high speed and it is nice to get close to the track.

Exit Hocheichen and Hatzenbach.
You drive from Nürburg towards Quiddelbach. When you pass under the bridge (Nordschleife) go to the parking on the right hand. Then you can walk alongside the track up to Hatzenbach.
On the way you pass a hole in the fence where you can take really good pictures/video of the cars under full acceleration out of Hocheichen.
You get close to the track and you get a good sense of the speed.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:01 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Engeljizzle
As an American, I go to Nurburg 5x a year to drive the track and now to Race. I know the do's and do nots by now lol..

1. Recommendations on nearby hotel? Hotel Zur Burg Nurburg - 100Euro or less and good breakfast included. Close to Track
2. Recommendation for place to see largest assembly of cars in one place? (Boys would enjoy, and selfishly I'm trying to sort out my next P-car once expat gig over.) Entrance to Track for Tourist Drive. Google map Hells Diner or Nordschliefe. Also the gas station on Dottingerhohe.
3. Recommendation for place to view the track for an hour or so? Brunchen or Pflanzgarten. Ask anyone for directions, its easy to find. If you cant find PM and I can show you on a map.
4. Recommendation for ring taxi? Waste of money IMO... Lol. You can get 2 laps in a Megane RS from RSR or 3 laps in a full on race car for that. YOU drive. If you must though, which I respect if you're not into driving. Try the actual "Ring Taxi" or Apex (which now has a ride in a 720 for 299 Euro). There are a few Rennlisters who may take you as well. (Kobalt, which I can vouch for, will you give you fast, fun and safe ride).
5. When does track open? 5:15PM mostly every day for Tourist drive and there are cars testing / track days / driving schools typically before that. Might get lucky and catch an RCN or VLN race as well!

If you are i firsttimer, no racecar driver, a Taxi lap is a great experience.
For a rental, try the Swift first, safe and fun.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:35 PM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Thx again for the insights. Much better than Tripadvisor. ;-)

@englejizzle and ealoken - thanks for recommendation re rentals. Won't have time this round, but will be back and give that a try. Plus given the length and complexity of the track, I would rather have my first run in the passenger seat. I did a little reading on the ring taxi.com site, and it looks like they also rent cars that come with an instructor on the passenger seat, which would be a great option, since s/he will know whether the turn over that next rise is a short radius R or a long L sweeper... Or maybe I need to buy Forza and borrow boys' Xbox for a few hours...

Quick Reply: Quick visit to Nurburgring?