Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick visit to Nurburgring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:02 PM
na94
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I have been a few times and I am probably going to get my race license (DPN) next year, so I have a few things figured out. I am from Canada so a local may have better advice.

For ring taxi, email Heide/Theo/Micheala at rentracecar/ringtaxi.de or Micha at Apex. That said the taxi is $$$. I would rent a car from them for 4 laps or so. If the track is open for tourist driving, go early at track opening. On a weekend in the summer, the track closes a lot in the afternoon due to crashes. The more serious guys go early. Watch out for guys driving BMWs. For some reason they don't like letting slower cars pass so you just have to dive bomb =) P cars are generally courteous and fall into 2 groups: new and slow, or suck your doors off.

Due to rising insurance costs, renting gets expensive. I just rent a gt86 but I have experience in one at speed. It can be a handful in the wet if abused. A Swift is a good first timer car. After calculating in insutance costs, rentracecar has the best pricing. They are also extremely convenient.

There are also some great zimmers (rooming houses) in Nurburg. The food at one of these will be more authentic. For some reason EVERY place has an Italian themed menu to cater to the tourists. When I go to Bavaria, I want Bavarian food! If you can get good pork schitzel 'wiener art', go for it. The locally raised pork is really good. If you dont stay at a rooming house, at least eat at one. Other than that Blau Ecke is a great place, and am Tiergarten has great racing kitsch due to the Schmitz family.

The better cars show up at closed track days. Last time I saw 2 GT2RSs right next to eachother, as well as assorted Mclarens, GT3s, and some true classics. There is the odd Ferrari and Lambo as well.

Have fun, it really is a very special place.

Also, you can hike around the entire ring, inside and out. Germans love to hike. Pack up camel backs and lots of nuts and fruit. I say start at Brunchen and head right (when facing the track) and walk down to the carousel at a minimum.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:06 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by na94
Okay, I have been a few times and I am probably going to get my race license (DPN) next year, so I have a few things figured out. I am from Canada so a local may have better advice.

For ring taxi, email Heide/Theo/Micheala at rentracecar/ringtaxi.de or Micha at Apex. That said the taxi is $$$. I would rent a car from them for 4 laps or so. If the track is open for tourist driving, go early at track opening. On a weekend in the summer, the track closes a lot in the afternoon due to crashes. The more serious guys go early. Watch out for guys driving BMWs. For some reason they don't like letting slower cars pass so you just have to dive bomb =) P cars are generally courteous and fall into 2 groups: new and slow, or suck your doors off.

Due to rising insurance costs, renting gets expensive. I just rent a gt86 but I have experience in one at speed. It can be a handful in the wet if abused. A Swift is a good first timer car. After calculating in insutance costs, rentracecar has the best pricing. They are also extremely convenient.

There are also some great zimmers (rooming houses) in Nurburg. The food at one of these will be more authentic. For some reason EVERY place has an Italian themed menu to cater to the tourists. When I go to Bavaria, I want Bavarian food! If you can get good pork schitzel 'wiener art', go for it. The locally raised pork is really good. If you dont stay at a rooming house, at least eat at one. Other than that Blau Ecke is a great place, and am Tiergarten has great racing kitsch due to the Schmitz family.

The better cars show up at closed track days. Last time I saw 2 GT2RSs right next to eachother, as well as assorted Mclarens, GT3s, and some true classics. There is the odd Ferrari and Lambo as well.

Have fun, it really is a very special place.

Also, you can hike around the entire ring, inside and out. Germans love to hike. Pack up camel backs and lots of nuts and fruit. I say start at Brunchen and head right (when facing the track) and walk down to the carousel at a minimum.

Do NOT divebomb! that is idiotic, pass on left when it`s place....

Best Ringtaxi is the Jaguars with Dale Lomas as a driver.

You can rent a electric bike in adenau and pedal the track, i recomend this.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:14 PM
na94
Advanced

Originally Posted by ealoken
Do NOT divebomb! that is idiotic, pass on left when it`s place....

Best Ringtaxi is the Jaguars with Dale Lomas as a driver.

You can rent a electric bike in adenau and pedal the track, i recomend this.
Idiotic, but sadly sometimes necessary if you are comfortable.

Can you explain the electric bikes? As in to use on the hiking trail?
Old 07-17-2018, 06:16 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Idiotic, but sadly sometimes necessary if you are comfortable.

Can you explain the electric bikes? As in to use on the hiking trail?
TF is no race, be patience.. ! i have seen to many bad accidents, unpatience drivers and death on the ring...
so please, no bad advices...

yes, there is a trail around the track, takes about 90 minutes on electric bikes and 150 if you workout.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:19 PM
beoliving
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There are also some great zimmers (rooming houses) in Nurburg. The food at one of these will be more authentic. For some reason EVERY place has an Italian themed menu to cater to the tourists. When I go to Bavaria, I want Bavarian food! If you can get good pork schitzel 'wiener art', go for it. The locally raised pork is really good. If you dont stay at a rooming house, at least eat at one. Other than that Blau Ecke is a great place, and am Tiergarten has great racing kitsch due to the
just for the records, Nordschleife is not in Bavaria (important for the non Bavarians like me LOL)....the region is known for its wine, one of the best reds in Germany are from the Ahr region. The river Ahr is very close to the ring and you can find plenty of nice restaurant offering local food.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:02 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

^ Please reread his statement regarding Bavaria. He didn't make a connection to The Ring. Your missed english comprehension lesson is rearing its head; the one where you skipped class to be with that hot cheerleader instead.

P.S.
The Mosel river is just So and has the best white wines in Germany IMHO.

I never understood why tourists visiting a foreign country want home style food (all the steak references in this thread). That to me is the best part of visiting a foreign country. Eat the local cuisine, mingle and experience the difference.

When I go to Bavaria, I want Bavarian food! If you can get good pork schitzel 'wiener art', go for it. The locally raised pork is really good.
Isn't the 'original' schnitzel actually veal and the poor man's version made from pork (and nowadays even a chicken option)? At least thats what I remember.

P.S.
I'd like the Jaeger Schnitzel please.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:10 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I stayed at the Lindner hotel this year and its very nice. Even have a pair of race simulators downstairs by the bar. Good fun after a few drinks in the evening.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:41 PM
beoliving
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
^ Please reread his statement regarding Bavaria. He didn't make a connection to The Ring. Your missed english comprehension lesson is rearing its head; the one where you skipped class to be with that hot cheerleader instead.

P.S.
The Mosel river is just So and has the best white wines in Germany IMHO.

I never understood why tourists visiting a foreign country want home style food (all the steak references in this thread). That to me is the best part of visiting a foreign country. Eat the local cuisine, mingle and experience the difference.

Isn't the 'original' schnitzel actually veal and the poor man's version made from pork (and nowadays even a chicken option)? At least thats what I remember.

P.S.
I'd like the Jaeger Schnitzel please.
LOL..... no chearleaders at German schools.... must be something else :-)

looks like you are a Schnitzel lover, your are spot on, the real one is veal with potatoe salad, poor man version is pork with fries - ... I think I need a good Schnitzel now
Old 07-18-2018, 03:11 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by beoliving

LOL..... no chearleaders at German schools.... must be something else :-)

looks like you are a Schnitzel lover, your are spot on, the real one is veal with potatoe salad, poor man version is pork with fries - ... I think I need a good Schnitzel now
Onkel Otto
Old 07-18-2018, 03:43 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 58 Posts

Hotel overlooking the Grand Prix track, where the Porsche Sport Cup race will be Sat/Sun:

Dorint Hotel am Nürburgring****
An der Grand-Prix-Strecke
53520 Nürburg
Tel.: +49 2691 309-0
www.dorint.com
info.nuerburgring@dorint.com

View of the track from the porch of a track side room:

If you get there during daylight Friday, you should be able to watch practice until sundown, and perhaps racing Saturday morning. If the eye candy is good, you can have room service bring dinner and wine on Friday, breakfast and Champagne on Saturday, sit on the porch and enjoy the action.

If no more trackside rooms are available, there is a roof deck off the fourth(?) floor, where you can see a lot of the track. If the GP track looks interesting, you can just park in the garage, take the elevator up and watch from the roof deck, no hotel room necessary...

Agree that good car watching is found at the entrance to the track, and it is pretty easy to catch a ride there - take Nagata-San up on his generous offer!

Last edited by facelvega; 07-18-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:34 AM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Update: we stayed at Agnesen-Hof based on one of your recommendations. Can't find whose on my iPhone... scrolling issues. Anyway, it's great. Very nice rooms, fantastic dinner and nice breakfast. All combined with crazy nice service. Unless they charged us $1000k for dinner (haven't seen bill yet) it is also a remarkable value for money. Big thanks to whoever recommended.

Off to the ring. Booked a ride for boys and me with ringtaxi. Boys excited.

@Nakata-San, I will definitely look for you in the paddock/lot. I'd love to hear a bit about your experiences here. And see your car, of course!

Cheers
Old 07-21-2018, 02:29 PM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Super fun day. Went on a taxi ride with ringtaxi.com in their M3 Competition. Boys in back enjoyed first part and then got pretty green from sliding around on the rear sofa.... Anyway, a very humbling experience as our driver wheeled us around at a pace I would not come close to even with experience at this track. Quite a hoot. And now I know it's only 3.5 hours from home, so hope to get back again after the summer.

Again, thanks to all for the advice. Was very helpful.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Andover Bill
Update: we stayed at Agnesen-Hof based on one of your recommendations. Can't find whose on my iPhone... scrolling issues. Anyway, it's great. Very nice rooms, fantastic dinner and nice breakfast. All combined with crazy nice service. Unless they charged us $1000k for dinner (haven't seen bill yet) it is also a remarkable value for money. Big thanks to whoever recommended.

Off to the ring. Booked a ride for boys and me with ringtaxi. Boys excited.

@Nakata-San, I will definitely look for you in the paddock/lot. I'd love to hear a bit about your experiences here. And see your car, of course!

Cheers
Ive never stayed but I have eaten there before - its probably the nicest place in the area...
Old 07-21-2018, 03:12 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Is any member from here at Friday 10th August afternoon in the Ring?

First time for me in a road trip in Germany and considering to have the experience of Ring taxi lap.

Not ready to drive as newby and hopefully I will have this chance with my GTS in future.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:40 PM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Might be. Oldtimer GP that weekend, so plenty of things to see: http://www.avd-ogp.de/en/

Quick Reply: Quick visit to Nurburgring?