Sponsored by:

A Couple of Questions about the GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 01:20 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts
Default A Couple of Questions about the GT3 Touring

I have about a week before my GT3 Touring locks. First, is the Porsche Dynamic Light System worth having? Second, the Chrono Sport Clock Package functions as a clock and timer only? It doesn't do anything else?

As an aside, I"m getting a little worried the GT3 Touring might be a somewhat disappointing ? Some of the owners' comments and reviews of the car have been luke warm. The latest from Autoweek can't understand why you would buy a GT3 without the wing.
http://autoweek.com/article/drive-re...s-911-everyone
Old 07-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I bought the car as primarily a track car, so take that into consideration when I say the PDLS isn't worth it. Yes, the clock is just a clock/timer. It is pre-wired to work with the Porsche lap trigger, but I see no need with all the other available lap timing apps. I did get it, because I think the clock looks cool!

As to your next question, there have been a lot of threads on the topic. Toss a coin. If the coin tells you one thing and you are disappointed, then you know to get the other thing and never look back. It's personal preference and nothing else, and I happen to agree with Autoweek.

Congrats on having a configurable allocation!
Old 07-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
First, is the Porsche Dynamic Light System worth having?
If you like to drive at night then yes. One of the top must have options IMHO, and I consider nearly everything a pass. If you don't drive at night then no- additional weight and things to go wrong.

As an aside, I"m getting a little worried the GT3 Touring might be a somewhat disappointing ? Some of the owners' comments and reviews of the car have been luke warm.
After owning over a dozen Porsches and having driven many more I can stay that there are just two modern Porsche's I'd trade my Touring for (to own and drive, not to sell). 1. Carrera GT. 2. 997 GT3 RS 4.0 (the latter only by a little). Cars that don't make the cut: 918, 993 GT2, 991 RS, 997 GT3 RS 3.8, 964 3.6 Turbo, 911 R, etc... I haven't driven a 991 GT2 RS so I'll withhold judgement there, but personally I think it's one of the greatest Porsche's ever made. I suspect many of us are anything but lukewarm on the car, we're just a little less vocal about it (like the Touring itself?). Blend smoothly into traffic one day, top time of day the next, awesome dawn run up the coast the day after that. As close to perfect as I've found.

As for the wing, for my use it has no measurable time advantage on an autocross (the only place I run against the clock, and the Touring still makes lots of downforce with a bit more drag). Meanwhile it spoils the lines (imho) and attracts unwanted attention and blocks the view for cop watch. I get why people like it but I much prefer the car without.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:51 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have about a week before my GT3 Touring locks. First, is the Porsche Dynamic Light System worth having? Second, the Chrono Sport Clock Package functions as a clock and timer only? It doesn't do anything else?

As an aside, I"m getting a little worried the GT3 Touring might be a somewhat disappointing ? Some of the owners' comments and reviews of the car have been luke warm. The latest from Autoweek can't understand why you would buy a GT3 without the wing.
http://autoweek.com/article/drive-re...s-911-everyone

You need to talk to more owners. Everyone I've talked to with a Touring LOVES it. Is it ideal for a 7 hour drive? Or a daily driver? Of course not...a Turbo or Panamera would be much better. Is it ideal for the track? No...an RS would be better. So if you want a car for daily driving, mainly taking long road trips, or doing lots of track days, you have better options.

As for the wing vs no-wing, it either speaks to you or it doesn't. Simple as that. Who cares what a RL member or a journalist says? Which one do YOU like better? Get that one.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:54 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

This guy's conclusion... "If you want a Porsche without a wing, get a GTS or a Carrera S, or a Turbo, or a Targa or a ..." makes absolutely zero sense.

Although he does have a point about down force, we just don't know how much of a factor this really is in reality.

This is but one person's opinion (and I bet they didn't even have a Touring to test), and we all know what they say about opinions... Don't let this poor example of automotive journalism dissuade you one way or the other.

(Having said all of that, if I were tracking my car regularly, I would absolutely get my GT3 with a wing, just because.)

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 07-05-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:05 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I can’t help on PDLS, I skipped it because I am convinced it would break eventually and I like the lighter color of the base lights.

I write to note that the author says the touring has less downforce, but based on some other threads that seems wrong. Higher drag at high speed (thus lower Vmax) but no indictation the downforce is lower with the flap up than the wing.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:44 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

So you're worried about how you're going to like the car because of concerns about the headlights and clock?
Old 07-05-2018, 02:46 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

I've had my Touring now for 3-1/2 months with just over 2,500 miles, and I think the car is simply spectacular. This is my first Porsche, but have been lucky enough to drive many in my life time. I would have gladly taken the car with a wing, but when the Touring was offered, I decided the "mature" look of the car was for me (I'm 62). I'm heading out this Sunday on a 10 day, 3,000+ mile road trip and am so looking forward to it. I fully expect to enjoy every mile. I plan to post photos and reports of how the car is on the trip. The first day is over 500 miles from the bay area to Bend, Oregon. I have the full bucket seats, so will be interesting how they are after 8+ hours.

I have the Chrono Package, and as mentioned above, like the look of the clock. I also have the PDLS lights, and honestly prefer their look, plus the brighter lighting they provide. I would order both options again.

I cannot imagine how anyone would be disappointed with this car after purchasing...it's simply that good.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:07 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I have driven 80km in mine. My sky high expectations (this is my third Porsche, second new one) were exceeded already after that short distance. Tomorrow I'm picking it up at the detailer and have a 700km trip home. So looking forward to it!
Old 07-05-2018, 05:46 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
So you're worried about how you're going to like the car because of concerns about the headlights and clock?
That's funny. No, I'm sure the car will be great. The car I'm ordering is a stripper. The dealer is suggesting I add those two items. But I'm not going to after reading the comments here.

This is my 3rd GT car but the last ones were in 2007 (GT3 & GT3RS). Of course I was 11 years younger then and cabin noise and all the idiosyncrasies that came with GT cars didn't bother me. Now that I'm older little things get into my head and I start worrying about things I shouldn't. When a buyers gets a chance to spec the perfect car one doesn't want to miss an essential option.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

This has been beaten to death here, so i will summarize about the Sport Chrono clock. Most people feel this is possibly the most important feature you can get on the car. This is the line which separates the wanna-bes from the true Porsche enthusiasts. Seriously, if i see a car without the sport chrono i immediately know this guy is a poser. Who is so damn cheap when buying a $200k car that they do not to get a clock? If you skimp on that, next thing you know you are ordering iron brakes! This is blasphemy any way you look at it. Ask anyone here, and if they are honest they will tell you the same thing.

On the other hand, i could be completely full of ****.

P.S. I have the clock and ceramic brakes. lol
Old 07-05-2018, 06:00 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robmypro
This has been beaten to death here, so i will summarize about the Sport Chrono clock. Most people feel this is possibly the most important feature you can get on the car. This is the line which separates the wanna-bes from the true Porsche enthusiasts. Seriously, if i see a car without the sport chrono i immediately know this guy is a poser. Who is so damn cheap when buying a $200k car that they do not to get a clock? If you skimp on that, next thing you know you are ordering iron brakes! This is blasphemy any way you look at it. Ask anyone here, and if they are honest they will tell you the same thing.

Geez Rob, I thought clocks and CCBs were just for the Cars and Coffee guys? :-) Just kidding. I get your dry sense of humor :-)
Old 07-05-2018, 07:02 PM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think any .2 GT3 can be "disappointing," wing or no wing.
I picked up my winged GT3 with manual at end of March/2018, 3 months later it has 5500 miles on it!
I have to admit at times I am a little self-conscious of the wing, being 53 years old. But then part of me says, "What the heck, this is a performance-focused 911 and as such a wing is suited to it." I may be influenced by becoming a car nut in the '70s when one of theeee coolest cars on the planet at any price was the 930 turbo with its awesome and unusual wing, and I fell in love with the 993 turbo with you guessed it...a cool wing.
Porsche 911s are everywhere here...a wing sets it apart as a little crazy and flamboyant, a little fun.
Anyhooo...to the OP point...the PDLS may be helpful on twisties at night, and cool looking but apart from that not essential.
I happen to like the clock..but hey I even specc'd aluminum pedals so what do I know!
Enjoy, you will love the car...I mean love it! If you don't then sell it at a profit and find what you do love before the grim reaper snatches it all away.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:10 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

On my touring I have PCCBs, deviated stitching, LWBS, full leather, PDLS, Bose and NO CLOCK.

I just wanted a clean dash.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:32 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

No PDLS or Sport Chrono for me. I went with the Touring this time only because it’s a GT3 without a wing so I can enjoy the 911 lines better, while still having the same 500 HP / 9000 RPM engine, tranny, suspension, etc. Plus, it’s available with the same GT3 options I’m used to (which are not available on non-GT cars, like lwbs). I would not buy any other 911 that’s not a GT3 or GT3RS. Maybe only a Turbo S Cab at some point later when I’m old. The fact it doesn’t have a wing will not deter me from tracking it for fun few times a year. I cannot think of any scenario where I’d be disappointed with the Touring. Should arrived in 30-45 days...

Quick Reply: A Couple of Questions about the GT3 Touring