Sponsored by:

GT3 - White or Chalk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:56 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisDM
Not to thread-jack but do you still regret that a few weeks later? I waver almost every day on GT Silver vs. Chalk and my lock date is fast approaching...

What makes you regret it? How common silver is in-general or the specific look of GT Silver on the car?
I had a GT silver 997.1TT, and although I liked it I always wanted another color. For a GT3 I personally wouldn't pick any silver, it just seems like the wrong color for the type of car the GT3 is. It's a great color, I just don't feel it fits it as well as it fits e.g. a TTS or Carrera.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:23 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I have chalk on the way so maybe I'm just trying to reinforce my purchase decision, but how could someone point out that chalk was the most widely ordered color and then say it will be harder to sell than white? Only early adopters like the color, but everyone on the secondary market doesn't? Strange logic. Wouldn't initial consumer interest also be reflective of later consumer interest? Sure, if you wait 20 years, maybe grey isn't as 'in season' as it is now, but hardly anyone is holding a car that long. You will have people that just won't buy chalk no matter what, but you only need one buyer and it's polarizing -- tons of people absolutely love it. I just don't see how you can get stuck holding the bag with it.

I heard the same thing with lava orange and my RS... it sold in about a week to someone who absolutely had to have lava orange.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:44 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts

People have individual tastes stating the obvious......white, Black, silver are safe colors for value, not getting tired of within a few years, Classic not trendy, show off the lines of the car.....lots of pluses....due to those colors being on a Porsche never boring and easy to decal tastefully...
Old 07-31-2018, 11:59 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
People have individual tastes stating the obvious......white, Black, silver are safe colors for value, not getting tired of within a few years, Classic not trendy, show off the lines of the car.....lots of pluses....due to those colors being on a Porsche never boring and easy to decal tastefully...
Sure, those are safe over the years, but I don't think grey is going anywhere in the next few. I also plan to decal my chalk GT3 with darker grey side stripes and yellow porsche text. My point was that it was the most widely ordered color and it cost extra to order it... to say it will be harder to sell, I just don't buy that given the numbers saying "people want this color and even pay more for it". Long term, maybe, I can't argue that -- no one really knows -- most of us aren't holding these cars even 3-5 years though.

I had a nardo grey RS3 and have a Leadfoot Raptor, so -- like you -- I'm pretty biased for this type of color (you have an all white garage). I notice older people (I'm 37) make comments about it being a weird color or looks like a nicer primer. My father-in-law is always saying how he loves the Raptor if not for the crappy color I bought it in. Of course, he has a white Tundra, so maybe this is a little generational also. My dad isn't a fan either and he's closing in on 70.

Not trying to convince anyone to like it, just don't see it being a resale issue over the next few years.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:08 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

Not the best pics for comparison, but may help.

Chalk vs GT Silver
View this post on Instagram

Chalk vs White
View this post on Instagram
Old 07-31-2018, 12:17 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts

All colors sell and resell so not an issue.....boils down to how long will you like it....for me my experience with some of my car color history of my sold or current non-company personal cars which is first time I did this analysis: urge others to do it too...lots of variable as to why I sold but here it is...

Black car - 13 years
White - 19 years - current
Silver - 4 years - 3 times
Silver - 2 years - 2 times
British Racing Green - 1 year
Red - 4 years
Burgundy - 2 years - three times
Blue - 2 years
Green - 3 years - twice
White - 3 years - 3 times

Sold them all or traded in with no issues or real material value hit....

So...conclusion - this thread discussion is good for a chatting purposes - go with the color you personally like whether classic or Trendy realizing that a buyer can be found if you sell it for the price you decide to sell it for.....color is SO subjective and in the eye of the beholder.....in layman's terms....I would not kick a beautiful woman out of bed with purple or green hair but chances are I would marry a blond, brunette or redhead for a longer period of time...unless there is something else that is special...))
Old 07-31-2018, 01:23 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Sure, those are safe over the years, but I don't think grey is going anywhere in the next few. I also plan to decal my chalk GT3 with darker grey side stripes and yellow porsche text. My point was that it was the most widely ordered color and it cost extra to order it... to say it will be harder to sell, I just don't buy that given the numbers saying "people want this color and even pay more for it". Long term, maybe, I can't argue that -- no one really knows -- most of us aren't holding these cars even 3-5 years though.

I had a nardo grey RS3 and have a Leadfoot Raptor, so -- like you -- I'm pretty biased for this type of color (you have an all white garage). I notice older people (I'm 37) make comments about it being a weird color or looks like a nicer primer. My father-in-law is always saying how he loves the Raptor if not for the crappy color I bought it in. Of course, he has a white Tundra, so maybe this is a little generational also. My dad isn't a fan either and he's closing in on 70.

Not trying to convince anyone to like it, just don't see it being a resale issue over the next few years.
Lol I also have a Leadfoot Raptor and a chalk GT3 on the way. And a Donington Grey X5M and an agate grey GTS. My Huracan was grigio lynx. I like my all grey garage a lot better than when all my cars were black! I'm 40, so about the same as you.

​​​
Old 07-31-2018, 02:28 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Chalk sucks.....definitely order white.

Here is my recently acquired Chalk. Traded in a Chalk for another Chalk since I dislike it so much
And yes, I consider myself younger similar to the above posters ^^

Old 07-31-2018, 02:45 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 92 Posts

37 with a chalk car incoming, here.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:51 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 53 Posts

Convinced myself to switch to chalk. Called SA and my build was bumped up and is now in 220. It was such a close call between GT Silver and Chalk for me that I'll chalk this up to a silver lining of the choice being made for me and an earlier delivery (massive puns intended in there).
Old 07-31-2018, 05:33 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

@Blazin, I saw that car at the dealership... congrats on the purchase! Beautifully spec'd IMO

Originally Posted by reacher
Lol I also have a Leadfoot Raptor and a chalk GT3 on the way. And a Donington Grey X5M and an agate grey GTS. My Huracan was grigio lynx. I like my all grey garage a lot better than when all my cars were black! I'm 40, so about the same as you.​​​
Ha, my kinda guy right here!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:15 PM
Raucky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White, hands down.....no second guessing.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:13 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
@Blazin, I saw that car at the dealership... congrats on the purchase! Beautifully spec'd IMO

Thanks my friend.
Yup, I'm still grinning and cannot get enough of it.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:45 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Chalk looks great on the GT3...and agree it looks amazing with stripes and colored wheels. I am not a big fan of white.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:59 PM
jon dillinger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what I'm dealing with at the moment ~ just can't decide agate or chalk

Quick Reply: GT3 - White or Chalk?