991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 - White or Chalk?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:06 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

Remember when the great new colors were flat paint, primarily Lambo and some BMW's. Some said this was the great new choice and then they fell on their butt. Chalk has as many detractors as fans, I would be careful. As someone said many of the first GT3's were specified with Chalk. Not sure where that will go. It does look like glossy primer.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:29 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Only took 4hrs for this to turn into a value thread.

How about we move all value threads to Off Topic? Now that would be a Mod intervention I could get behind.

OP: Chalk is unique but White is fastest.
For what it's worth, the OP started the thread with a value question.

OP, pick the color that you enjoy looking at more. Who can say which color will be worth more on resale? Dust has yet to settle on production numbers and you can't predict future taste.

That said, I do think Chalk is the more volatile color. At it's best, it is a gorgeous creamy, pale grey. At it's worst, it can be sort of dull and putty-esque.

White is white. Maybe less interesting than Chalk in flattering lighting, buy it also tends to never look bad. Also, takes stripes better if you ever want to liven things up.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:46 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Almost everytime I buy a car I compromise on color in favor of availability. If I'm shopping, I want it now... otherwise life happens, six months go by, and if I can paraphase Pink Floyd, "I'm six months closer to death!".

I also love GBM, but in your case I would buy the chalk one in a New York second. When was the last time you saw a chalk car in the wild? A white car? Now, where did you say the chalk one was?

Last edited by KM1959; 07-12-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:55 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

Go with the White. My first GT3 was White because it is the Traditional GT3 color and I think it will be timeless for a GT3

I would not wait for some thing you may never find. I wanted to order a GR GT3 but when I was presented with Black with almost the indentical options I would of chosen- I grabbed it. I then stealth wrapped the whole car and could not be more happier.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Prior post showed Chalk was highest quantity of GT3 by color. Gonna be quite common regardless.
CWM is my favorite - the more you look, the more you see.
Regarding resale: White is a superb backdrop for racing stickers
Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I'd go with white, but I'm biased.
To me, chalk looks like primer on a beat up Chevy.
+1
Chalk is one of their dull/stealth style - bad boy style from 10 yrs ago. Next will probably be an opaque series of colors, yawn.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:01 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I am biased, so I won’t tell you which to get. I will say that I have never seen a GT3 in any color that didn’t look amazing. You can’t screw this up, so just go with what you like the best.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:26 AM
asenna8
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a Chalk GT3 and I have received more compliments on the color than I expected. I like that the color appears different in different lighting. White is great, but the Chalk is just different enough to turn heads.

Randall
Old 07-11-2018, 11:37 AM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Chalk looks like a white car that hasn't been cleaned in a while. White grabs your attention, particularly when contrasted with the black wheels.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at several colors when shopping for my GT3 back in January/February. After seeing the cars in daylight It came down to black or white. I bought a black one and I am still in love with in. Chalk just did not pop for me in the daylight compared to white or black seen at the same time. I would not judge the color in photos. One really needs to see these colors in person in a daylight setting, preferably side by side. Once you do the choice should be easier (at that point go with you gut).
Old 07-11-2018, 12:13 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Only took 4hrs for this to turn into a value thread.

How about we move all value threads to Off Topic? Now that would be a Mod intervention I could get behind.

OP: Chalk is unique but White is fastest.
Agreed - these cars are meant to be wrung out and enjoyed, don't worry about what's best for the next owner...assume all cars will depreciate

Originally Posted by white6speed
Remember when the great new colors were flat paint, primarily Lambo and some BMW's. Some said this was the great new choice and then they fell on their butt. Chalk has as many detractors as fans, I would be careful. As someone said many of the first GT3's were specified with Chalk. Not sure where that will go. It does look like glossy primer.
IMO I agree. When the .2 production thread was still going Chalk was the top color picked, very en vogue right now for better or worse. I think it's one of those colors you either really love (like many owners currently do) or doesn't do much for you, I was in the latter. I see the appeal of chalk though as has a retro feel and is like PTS but at a much lower cost with how popular fashion grey (similar color) became.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Go with the White. My first GT3 was White because it is the Traditional GT3 color and I think it will be timeless for a GT3

I would not wait for some thing you may never find. I wanted to order a GR GT3 but when I was presented with Black with almost the indentical options I would of chosen- I grabbed it. I then stealth wrapped the whole car and could not be more happier.
Well said. Also think of 991 GT3 = white because of the 991.1 launch color, that was the spec that made me think of the 991 GT3 as one of the best looking 911s to date.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:15 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I am biased, so I won’t tell you which to get. I will say that I have never seen a GT3 in any color that didn’t look amazing. You can’t screw this up, so just go with what you like the best.
+1

This guy gets it.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:35 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 697 Likes on 509 Posts

Chalk is chalk is interesting at first.....and a nice color.....I changed to CWM because it pops....cool white that is very bright but no metallic overkill....chalk is a trend....white is classic and timeless plus you can add colored decals and switch them whenever if white is too basic....AND resale is easier....sorry to add that...
Old 07-11-2018, 12:53 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

My driving body has a chalk GT3 , so I have seen it multiple times and in different weather conditions/shades
it looks nice but not stunning
i personally will not spend the extra money on that color
white is classic, but again I am biased as my .1 GT3 and .1 GT3RS were white
Old 07-11-2018, 01:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Color is personal, so it's hard to give/take someone else's advice on it. I'd probably go with the Carrara White myself, but it would also depend on what wheels were on each car.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:31 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Chalk looks best on a Panamera, more of a "elegant" color. White is sportier....IMO.

Although I live in FL, so everyone has white cars....so I don't think I would every buy a white car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 - White or Chalk?