Sponsored by:

Double clutch or Single clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Double clutch or Single clutch?

I've always single clutched... in my very limited MT car driving. (Haven't driven one for 7 years and finally did today. Ended up stalling engine few times and pissing off guys in the back)

My friend is telling me double clutch is better for synchro.

I am really a noob when it comes to transmission and all this stuff.

So, for GT3 MT with rev matching, is double clutching necessary?

And can you misshift and over-rev? Or will the magical rev matching prevent that?
Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Double clutching is not necessary with the modern synchros in the new GT3. However, I do it occasionally when going into first gear when rolling more than 5mph or so just to be extra kind. I'm used to doing it that way from many years of driving old 911's with 915 gearbox.

Yes, you can over-rev if you select the wrong gear when traveling faster than redline speed in that gear (i.e. choosing 2nd instead of 4th when going over 82 mph)...
Old 07-08-2018, 07:58 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
I've always single clutched... in my very limited MT car driving. (Haven't driven one for 7 years and finally did today. Ended up stalling engine few times and pissing off guys in the back)

My friend is telling me double clutch is better for synchro.

I am really a noob when it comes to transmission and all this stuff.

So, for GT3 MT with rev matching, is double clutching necessary?

And can you misshift and over-rev? Or will the magical rev matching prevent that?
straight from wiki...

Doubleclutch (technique) Doubleclutching (also called double de-clutching, or double shuffle in Australia) is a method of shifting gears used primarily for vehicles with an unsynchronized manual transmission, such as commercial trucks and specialty vehicles.

I'm sure your friend means well. Your car has a very fine syncronized transmission, operate it like one. Press clutch/release accelerator, select gear, release clutch/press accelerator. Double clutching will make the shifts take longer and is completely unnecessary.

Ryan
Old 07-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GrantG
Double clutching is not necessary with the modern synchros in the new GT3. However, I do it occasionally when going into first gear when rolling more than 5mph or so just to be extra kind. I'm used to doing it that way from many years of driving old 911's with 915 gearbox.

Yes, you can over-rev if you select the wrong gear when traveling faster than redline speed in that gear (i.e. choosing 2nd instead of 4th when going over 82 mph)...
Thank you for the answer. So it is possible to money shift in modern GT3. Another question is, with rev matching, is there reduced jerkiness when shifting through gears?

The car I've driven today didn't have rev-match and I jerked a lot and stalled few times... quite embarrassing.

Originally Posted by reidry
straight from wiki...

Doubleclutch (technique) Doubleclutching (also called double de-clutching, or double shuffle in Australia) is a method of shifting gears used primarily for vehicles with an unsynchronized manual transmission, such as commercial trucks and specialty vehicles.

I'm sure your friend means well. Your car has a very fine syncronized transmission, operate it like one. Press clutch/release accelerator, select gear, release clutch/press accelerator. Double clutching will make the shifts take longer and is completely unnecessary.

Ryan
Thank you.
So no need whatsoever right? My friend says that it will make synchro last longer but I've never heard to anyone having trouble with car by single clutching.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:15 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

So no need whatsoever right? My friend says that it will make synchro last longer but I've never heard to anyone having trouble with car by single clutching.
As Grant said you can certainly place in neutral coasting to a stop, i do that at times as well. Other than that no need.

To give you an idea, I endurance race a 1995 BMW, 24 hours at a time we hammer on the transmission, never double clutch and have nearly 100 race hours and thousands of shifts without a synchro issue. Your GT3 has two decades better design and materials, single clutch without worry.

Ryan
Old 07-08-2018, 08:27 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is like the 6th or 7th MT related thread that clearly shows you guys have the fortune to own such an amazing car but lack some fundementals in MT. What is worrying me is these people will destroy these cars in 5000 miles causing havoc on warranty claims and that will end up forcing Porsche to never offer MT in GT3 form ever again.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Double de-clutching is needed in heavy transmissions running high RPMs like vintage Ferrari stuff (incredibly heavy parts with small teeth LOL). These modern Porsche transmissions are so nice and light that you can speed shift easily and double de-clutching is not necessary unless you just want to practice periodically.

The one aspect folks may not pick up on is the the Engine Over Rev DME readout can actually point you to look at the transmission for failures. DME range 3, 4,5 are usually caused by a missed shift (you wanted 4 but got 2) and all that torque is going through the transmission shafts.

Originally Posted by DerStig
This is like the 6th or 7th MT related thread that clearly shows you guys have the fortune to own such an amazing car but lack some fundementals in MT. What is worrying me is these people will destroy these cars in 5000 miles causing havoc on warranty claims and that will end up forcing Porsche to never offer MT in GT3 form ever again.
I would be very careful about buying a modern Ferrari manual transmissions (e.g. 2005-2009 F430), that crowd has an even lower skill level
(Did I really just say that?)
Old 07-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DerStig
Bud at least I'm trying to learn and improve? We all start somewhere.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:57 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The plus side is that with the auto rev match on up shifts, and rev match on downshifts with the sport button on, other than starting off and not overreving and hurting the clutch or stalling (or missing a shift at high speed), it should be easy to drive.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by evilfij

The plus side is that with the auto rev match on up shifts, and rev match on downshifts with the sport button on, other than starting off and not overreving and hurting the clutch or stalling (or missing a shift at high speed), it should be easy to drive.
That will be my saving grace.

But, still won't take Touring to NYC. Stop and go traffic + MT = Shortened Lifespan from Stress
Old 07-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

I used to heel toe my vintage race car...had to rebuild the trans (915) often

put a trans cooler in the car, and temp gage in trans. Cooler helped but in 90 min enduros it still got too hot

learned to double clutch, and the need for a trans cooler was gone...I’d run seasons on a 915 year box with 380ish hp thru it

if u learn to do it correct u can skip shift without upsetting the car...I’d go 5th to 1st

used to to race my friends 996 cup and double clutched it

it does help a transmission last a long time...much longer than Heel toe

it’s no slower...I can show video of how quick u can do it with proper muscle memory
Old 07-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

We should all be trying to learn and improve.

I have a few suggestions from what you've posted so far. Don't take this as personal criticism. I just think I have an idea of what you need to start with in order to get where you want to be.

I don't think you fully understand how the engine and transmission interact and how you're supposed to drive the car properly. Do some research or find someone that you can have a conversation with in person about this so they can teach you the ins and outs.

Once you understand what's going on in there, you'll realize that no manual transmission will stop you from over-revving it if you choose the wrong gear at the wrong speed. It's a physical connection and electronic rev limiters and stuff can't stop you.

As for the jerkiness and the rev-matching making it smoother... you need to realize that the rev matching isn't doing anything that you shouldn't be doing yourself on any other manual car, and on this one when you turn the rev matching off. If you don't realize that, then you're doing it wrong and need someone to teach you why and how to do it properly.

You can certainly use the rev matching to do a better job than you're capable of, but as a manual driver you should also be learning to do it yourself and take pride in when you can smoothly and quickly drive the car without it. Anything it's doing... you should be doing in any other car that doesn't have it. If it's doing something that you don't do, then realize that it's not just doing extra stuff to make things smoother... you're just not doing something that you really should be.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:14 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

C'mon, guys. I don't think we should be such snobs about the "proper use" of a manual transmission. Porsche has come out with this fantastic double clutch PDK that shifts better than any human can. Porsche has also come out with this fantastic manual transmission that rev matches for you, approximating the efficiency of the PDK while allowing you to manually throw a gear shift lever. I can rev match with the best of them, but I went with the PDK, That doesn't make me any less of a driver just because I appreciate PDK. Same thing with those that utilize the advanced features of the Porsche Manual transmission. Using the auto rev match doesn't make them any less of a driver, nor does it mandate that they must learn to heel toe rev match to be a "proper driver" of a manual transmission. It's just another way to enjoy a fantastic car. Just IMHO.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:36 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I may be wrong, but isn’t the point of double-clutching and rev-matching with the clutch out, rather than just rev-matching as you put it into gear and let the clutch out, to spin up the input side of the transmission, the part between the clutch and drive gears? So in theory wouldn’t executing a double clutch still be smoother because if you’re just relying on the car to rev-match, it didn’t spin the input side of the transmission up for you?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:56 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I may be wrong, but isn’t the point of double-clutching and rev-matching with the clutch out, rather than just rev-matching as you put it into gear and let the clutch out, to spin up the input side of the transmission, the part between the clutch and drive gears? So in theory wouldn’t executing a double clutch still be smoother because if you’re just relying on the car to rev-match, it didn’t spin the input side of the transmission up for you?
Yes, double-clutching probably still would improve longevity of the modern gearbox (and it does go into gear more effortlessly when done correctly). I guess the question is whether Not double-clutching will still allow the gearbox to last as long as the other parts of the car (making extending the gearbox life irrelevant).

Quick Reply: Double clutch or Single clutch?