Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double clutch or Single clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm not being a snob in trying to offer up advice. I'm trying to be helpful.

I disagree though. If you can't rev-match and heel-toe a manual, then you are definitely less of a driver. There's nothing wrong with that. You're just lacking skills that other drivers have. That makes you less of a driver. It is what it is.

I don't heel-toe very well. I'm less of a driver because of it. I'm learning so I can be a better driver.

And yes, if you don't want to do any of that, the PDK is a brilliant option and there's nothing wrong with that. If you WANT to drive a manual though, then I expect you'd want to be able to drive one well. It's a choice. I know I do.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:30 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ascend
Bud at least I'm trying to learn and improve? We all start somewhere.
Now you are asking for it so I ll play along.

Nothing wrong with learning. Just learn with another car and give me your 6MT where it has less probability of catastrophic failure and higher probability of being properly utilized.

Listen i m just being sarcastic here. Enjoy your car
Old 07-09-2018, 02:48 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

Even with synchros, double clutching feels smoother assuming you don't use the rev match feature. It's worth knowing how to do both
Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,842 Likes on 4,799 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
Even with synchros, double clutching feels smoother assuming you don't use the rev match feature. It's worth knowing how to do both
But it definitely makes you slower.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,732 Likes on 2,698 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

No, it can nearly always be done in less time than braking (heel/toe double clutching downshift). It takes slightly (small fraction of a second) longer to achieve the downshift, but no time gained on laptime if it can be achieved in less time than braking.

It was a necessity on my 73S with original gearbox (lots of wear on synchros) and it became second nature very quickly. I continued doing it on my 73 RS replica (with full WEVO build including ratios, Gateshift, shifter, coupler, electric cooler, LSD, and brand new synchros). It helped to keep that box extremely fresh over years of tracking - and I never was slower when double clutching on track.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

There is absolutely no need to double declutch a modern transmission.
Just heel & toe to rev match or use the auto-blipper if not able to accomplish on your own.
It's really not rocket science.

And no, the rev match feature will not prevent a 'money shift'. Only the loose nut holding the wheel can prevent that.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:50 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
No, it can nearly always be done in less time than braking (heel/toe double clutching downshift). It takes slightly (small fraction of a second) longer to achieve the downshift, but no time gained on laptime if it can be achieved in less time than braking.

It was a necessity on my 73S with original gearbox (lots of wear on synchros) and it became second nature very quickly. I continued doing it on my 73 RS replica (with full WEVO build including ratios, Gateshift, shifter, coupler, electric cooler, LSD, and brand new synchros). It helped to keep that box extremely fresh over years of tracking - and I never was slower when double clutching on track.
Right, that has been my experience under downshifting. Would not recommend for upshifts
Old 07-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
There is absolutely no need to double declutch a modern transmission.
Just heel & toe to rev match or use the auto-blipper if not able to accomplish on your own.
It's really not rocket science.

And no, the rev match feature will not prevent a 'money shift'. Only the loose nut holding the wheel can prevent that.
I guess since I’ve always double-clutched when I downshift since I learned how to drive stick, just jamming it into gear when you’re downshifting especially multiple gears just seems super harsh to me, even if it can take it.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,393 Likes on 724 Posts

Nevrr heard of double clutching. I learned some tbing new today.

But the very nature of the initial question certainly leads me to believe you need a lesson on how to drive a Manual. No big deal but practice on another car before you get yours'
Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

Double-clutching = pure showoff, zero benefit in modern day synchro boxes.

Drive me a quick lap with perfect heel toe AND braking and I'll be impressed. I wouldn't care if one double- or triple-clutches otherwise. You want economy of action and zero BS.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:43 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by CRex
Clutch life is a possible benefit... when I had the Boxter the dealership told me clutches rarely last over 60k miles, when the engine blew up the second time around 100k miles, I said oh replace the clutch (original) and they said why it still has 75% left.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:27 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

that is far from true

Learn the craft it’s just as quick

once u learn to do it quick...u learn how bad u are at heel toe
Old 07-10-2018, 06:25 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex

Drive me a quick lap with perfect heel toe AND braking and I'll be impressed. I wouldn't care if one double- or triple-clutches otherwise. You want economy of action and zero BS.
That spells PDK right there !
Old 07-10-2018, 02:07 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator

Clutch life is a possible benefit... when I had the Boxter the dealership told me clutches rarely last over 60k miles, when the engine blew up the second time around 100k miles, I said oh replace the clutch (original) and they said why it still has 75% left.

Yeah, the dealership is full of it. A modern clutch should last the lifetime of the vehicle. My previous manual transmission car... the clutch was still going after 14 years (2004 model) and well over 150K miles when I sold it.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:41 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Yeah, the dealership is full of it. A modern clutch should last the lifetime of the vehicle. My previous manual transmission car... the clutch was still going after 14 years (2004 model) and well over 150K miles when I sold it.
Did you just make that up based on one example? I know that clutches can last a long time if operated well but everyone I’ve always talked to still considers them a wear item. I feel like the dealership would know considering they change them out on a regular basis, unless you think they’re randomly replacing perfectly good clutches for no reason.

Quick Reply: Double clutch or Single clutch?