Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New video review of Manual GT3 by Henry Catchpole

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 12:25 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Sounds like a killer trip. Take photos! I'd love to hit some of the gorgeous scenic roads through all those places. Maybe even head up toward Banff.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:36 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
It's not slightly louder, it's a lot louder. 3-5db louder. An increase of 3dB doubles the sound intensity but, admittedly, a 10dB increase is required before a sound is perceived to be twice as loud. Notwithstanding this, a small increase in decibels represents a large increase in intensity.

To my ears, it is extremely uncomfortable. I get out of the car with a bad headache and ringing ears. To the extent that I am very reluctant to take the car on long motorway drives anymore.

As some others have suggested, its probably due to the different acoustics between the two cars. Due the differences in plan placement, induction vents and engine hood, I suspect the sound takes completely different paths with a lot more being reflected back into the cabin of the Touring. And I am still not convinced there is not less sound insulation in the GT3T.

The photos show just how different the two cars are in terms of fan placement and induction vents. Also, the GT3 has the vent directly under the duck tail which I bet provides an additional escape path for engine noise that the Touring doesn't have.

Like you, I wish I had a verified technical reason for the differences.

Would you say one would not a center bypass because already louder? Tks
Old 07-19-2018, 12:00 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully picking up my Touring on Saturday. Am very interested to hear what all the fuss is about.

I've only heard the car once at the dealer after the throttle limit was removed and the sound was so freaking good I burst out laughing.

That's not the same as living with a car on the highway, though. Can't wait to find out.

Last edited by IrishAndy; 07-19-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:11 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally picked up my Touring. Starting to think there may be some differences to the application of sound deadening, or something else that's causing the negative experiences.

The sound is AMAZING. I mean, freaking perfect! The sound I hear in my head when I think of Porsche motorsports is the sound this car makes.

It is loud in the best way possible. Not an assault on the ears; more like a gift. Spent some time on the highway and just wanted to keep changing down to vary revs. Zero drone so far on constant throttle. Is there a particular RPM where it's expected?

Damn, this car sounds so good. So freaking good!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:30 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Perhaps someone has already suggested this and I missed it, but I didn’t see it in Chris3963’s post above: At speed, the Touring’s rear deck rises up, allowing the extra noise. The GT3 w/wing is fixed. All this talk about induction vents, fan placement between the two cars seems to ignore this fact when trying to prove the Touring is louder.

The primary compaint was the extra noise and drone at 140kph. Seems obvious the Touring would be louder, no?
Can't find the exact post right now, but IIRC Chris3963 made a video showing consistent 3db difference at 0mph, ~4krpm. Measured by a phone app between 2 different cars. So not related to tires or spoiler wind noise.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Just watched it, but he messes up and says “sport” button changes suspension. Lol. It does not, you need to hit the shock absorber button. I love how he suggests mismatched seats as I want to do that.
I was wondering about that too. Are the lwbs and sofa driver and passenger seats the same? Or would you only be able to swap left lwb with a left sofa?
Old 07-22-2018, 01:52 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 80p
I was wondering about that too. Are the lwbs and sofa driver and passenger seats the same? Or would you only be able to swap left lwb with a left sofa?
I think the seat controls would dictate what seat can go where.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:04 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by localmotion411

I think the seat controls would dictate what seat can go where.
And the airbags

Quick Reply: New video review of Manual GT3 by Henry Catchpole