New video review of Manual GT3 by Henry Catchpole

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 01:14 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by NevB
Well, Chris measured the cabin noise with a dbMeter ... works for me
No, it was an iPhone app. And those things are not accurate. I've tested a few against a real dB meter and most of them were off by 10dB here and there. Sometimes more, sometimes less. In the other thread about this, I think people reported the peak SPL getting up to like 90+dB? That's ridiculous. No car company would sell a production car that hits 90-95dB in the cabin. Laguna Seca's sound limit is 92dB, as measured from some distance from the track. But we are to believe the noise INSIDE the car is as loud or louder than that? Nope. Not happening.

Wish I knew someone in my area with a Touring. I'd love to actually experience first-hand what all the fuss is about.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:36 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
No, it was an iPhone app. And those things are not accurate. I've tested a few against a real dB meter and most of them were off by 10dB here and there. Sometimes more, sometimes less. In the other thread about this, I think people reported the peak SPL getting up to like 90+dB? That's ridiculous. No car company would sell a production car that hits 90-95dB in the cabin. Laguna Seca's sound limit is 92dB, as measured from some distance from the track. But we are to believe the noise INSIDE the car is as loud or louder than that? Nope. Not happening.

Wish I knew someone in my area with a Touring. I'd love to actually experience first-hand what all the fuss is about.
I accept that the iPhone apps are not 100% accurate (but I made sure I downloaded the one with the best reviews for accuracy) but getting a specific db reading was not the point of the exercise. Rather, it was to measure the difference between the two cars back to back, on the same piece of road, at the same speed, etc. This showed 3-5 db difference. So while the actual db number reading may not be 100% accurate, the db difference is accurate because I used the same tool in the same conditions.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:40 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I accept that the iPhone apps are not 100% accurate (but I made sure I downloaded the one with the best reviews for accuracy) but getting a specific db reading was not the point of the exercise. Rather, it was to measure the difference between the two cars back to back, on the same piece of road, at the same speed, etc. This showed 3-5 db difference. So while the actual db number reading may not be 100% accurate, the db difference is accurate because I used the same tool in the same conditions.
That makes sense. It's like dyno testing a car. Won't tell you the actual power the car is putting out, but it lets you get a delta from before/after a mod.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:41 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta

Curious, how does the Touring volume compare to your 964 RS? You would think the older car would be louder, but the Touring sounds pretty loud in all the videos I’ve watched. Definitely a mega sound, and probably a lot better than the air cooled cars.
I have not measured my 964 RS. I might do that just to see. But even if it is louder, I don't really notice it because it doesn't drone. The quality of the sound is quite different. Bit like music, I can listen to Coldplay or Arctic Monkeys at full volume....but put Metallica on......and I am reaching for the ear plugs.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:47 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Thank you again Chris. I agree the same app would be good enough for comparisons. Especially controlling for other variables.

I wonder if the rumors that the touring has less sound deadening are true then. Has anyone pulled the carpet in a touring yet so we can compare to the carpet less pictures of wing cars?

I wonder if spoiler position has any effect on sound too?

Regardless, it can’t be as bad as when I took the rear panal and sound deadening out of the Exige S while it was still running the lotus sport (track only) exhaust. When the blower spooled up it was like having a motorcycle engine and an air raid siren in the car with me. I fitted a standard exhaust and refit the back panel and sound deadening (removing it was peak add lightness for me) and it was tolerable even at the 4K rpm it would cruise so I suspect the touring will be fine for me.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:09 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Can the comparison be repeated with the engine hoods open?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:20 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Perhaps someone has already suggested this and I missed it, but I didn’t see it in Chris3963’s post above: At speed, the Touring’s rear deck rises up, allowing the extra noise. The GT3 w/wing is fixed. All this talk about induction vents, fan placement between the two cars seems to ignore this fact when trying to prove the Touring is louder.

The primary compaint was the extra noise and drone at 140kph. Seems obvious the Touring would be louder, no?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:24 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Perhaps someone has already suggested this and I missed it, but I didn’t see it in Chris3963’s post above: At speed, the Touring’s rear deck rises up, allowing the extra noise. The GT3 w/wing is fixed. All this talk about induction vents, fan placement between the two cars seems to ignore this fact when trying to prove the Touring is louder.

The primary compaint was the extra noise and drone at 140kph. Seems obvious the Touring would be louder, no?
I mentioned it two posts up. I used the word spoiler.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:38 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

I mentioned it two posts up. I used the word spoiler.
You sure did (and by another) and I should have continued reading to the end. Great minds think alike
Old 07-07-2018, 11:49 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Just returned from highway run. My GT3 (non-Touring) is not annoyingly loud at speeds between 70-90MPH. Subjective of course, and I'm anxious to compare to Touring.

If anyone near Greenwich, CT with a Touring is up for a brief comparison test let me know. If so, I'll pick up one of those fancy dB meters for our testing.

Not questioning Chris's observations/analysis, just would be satisfying to corroborate with another Touring.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 07-07-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:17 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2

I live on the Peninsula and would enjoy comparing my Touring with your car sometime. I don't debate that the Touring isn't louder, but it's hardly objectionable (for me). I'm heading out on a 3,000+ mile road trip tomorrow, so should be interesting.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:39 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris88
I live on the Peninsula and would enjoy comparing my Touring with your car sometime. I don't debate that the Touring isn't louder, but it's hardly objectionable (for me). I'm heading out on a 3,000+ mile road trip tomorrow, so should be interesting.
Where are you heading? I'll be down around Alice's tomorrow. Might hit CA 9 to Santa Cruz. Otherwise, let's connect when you're back.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah and Nevada (from California). Leaving at 5AM tomorrow and will visit Crater Lake, then end up in Bend area. I'm gonna drive 2 (secret) amazing mountain roads in Oregon, which I've dreamed about for years to drive a Porsche on. One is only open a few months a year, due to winter snow. Any guesses?

My 17 year old daughter will be with me to Portland, so should be fun.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:07 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hwy 242? Not trying to hijack your trip Chris88, but if you go to Ashland and take the Dead Indian Memorial Hwy east (it goes right by the Ashland airport) up to Hwy 140, then east about 7 miles to the West Side road, it will take you on a very scenic drive to Crater Lake. I grew up in Klamath Falls.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:29 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Very good guess...

There's another one I'll drive just east of Pendleton, that parallel's I-84 up into the Blue mountains that's fantastic...and no traffic...I love Oregon!

Quick Reply: New video review of Manual GT3 by Henry Catchpole