Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
So no need for an RS then?
November.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:18 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
Can someone explain to me why the touring is slightly louder car? Has there been an official acknowledgement of this perceived RL chatter?
It's not slightly louder, it's a lot louder. 3-5db louder. An increase of 3dB doubles the sound intensity but, admittedly, a 10dB increase is required before a sound is perceived to be twice as loud. Notwithstanding this, a small increase in decibels represents a large increase in intensity.

To my ears, it is extremely uncomfortable. I get out of the car with a bad headache and ringing ears. To the extent that I am very reluctant to take the car on long motorway drives anymore.

As some others have suggested, its probably due to the different acoustics between the two cars. Due the differences in plan placement, induction vents and engine hood, I suspect the sound takes completely different paths with a lot more being reflected back into the cabin of the Touring. And I am still not convinced there is not less sound insulation in the GT3T.

The photos show just how different the two cars are in terms of fan placement and induction vents. Also, the GT3 has the vent directly under the duck tail which I bet provides an additional escape path for engine noise that the Touring doesn't have.

Like you, I wish I had a verified technical reason for the differences.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:24 AM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I love how he suggests mismatched seats as I want to do that.
me too!
Old 07-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Great review. He is clearly a guy that I would like to see get an RS. Top reviewer and enthusiast.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

I almost bought this Magnus Walker hotrod a few years ago. One of the coolest things about the car were the mis-matched seats. Kind of regret I didn't pull the trigger.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:49 AM
carrerafanboy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
It's not slightly louder, it's a lot louder. 3-5db louder. An increase of 3dB doubles the sound intensity but, admittedly, a 10dB increase is required before a sound is perceived to be twice as loud. Notwithstanding this, a small increase in decibels represents a large increase in intensity.

To my ears, it is extremely uncomfortable. I get out of the car with a bad headache and ringing ears. To the extent that I am very reluctant to take the car on long motorway drives anymore.

As some others have suggested, its probably due to the different acoustics between the two cars. Due the differences in plan placement, induction vents and engine hood, I suspect the sound takes completely different paths with a lot more being reflected back into the cabin of the Touring. And I am still not convinced there is not less sound insulation in the GT3T.

The photos show just how different the two cars are in terms of fan placement and induction vents. Also, the GT3 has the vent directly under the duck tail which I bet provides an additional escape path for engine noise that the Touring doesn't have.

Chris- Sorry to hear you're finding the car so loud it's unpleasant to drive for long distances. Do you have any ideas for how it might be possible to quiet down the cabin a bit?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:04 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

spot on Chris.

thank you for your posts.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:05 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

wow thanks for the clarification. your thought process makes sense. would be interesting to see what Porsche has to say about this in the future.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:29 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Call me a bit skeptical w/your "lot louder" characterization. Here's a test for everyone: Listen to 3 files, all at 3 dB. Take the test. I did better using the 6 db target (see at top).

https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_level.php?lvl=3

Interesting topic, but while we debate 3 dB, many on RL are buying aftermarket for louder exhaust (I'm not).
Old 07-06-2018, 05:25 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

The intake filter box is a completely different shape on the Touring. I assume that and the intake itself make it louder. See the post here

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...3-touring.html
Old 07-06-2018, 07:34 PM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Call me a bit skeptical w/your "lot louder" characterization. Here's a test for everyone: Listen to 3 files, all at 3 dB. Take the test. I did better using the 6 db target (see at top).

https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_level.php?lvl=3

Interesting topic, but while we debate 3 dB, many on RL are buying aftermarket for louder exhaust (I'm not).
Well, Chris measured the cabin noise with a dbMeter ... works for me
Old 07-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NevB
Well, Chris measured the cabin noise with a dbMeter ... works for me
No, it was an Iphone and not a dbMeter
Old 07-06-2018, 10:57 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Curious, how does the Touring volume compare to your 964 RS? You would think the older car would be louder, but the Touring sounds pretty loud in all the videos I’ve watched. Definitely a mega sound, and probably a lot better than the air cooled cars.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:43 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
November.
Nice, still waiting to hear about PTS on the RS. Hopefully the manual 3 will be here by August

Quick Reply: New video review of Manual GT3 by Henry Catchpole