Sponsored by:

Touring in the GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 02:35 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring in the GT3 Touring

Haven't received mine yet (Sep delivery) and I am curious about the various whisperings I hear on using the GT3T as a road trip car.

You hear people say things like "I couldn't do more than 2 hours in the car at a time" and "it's so loud the Bose stereo is useless". If you have a GT3T, do you agree? Is this still just a short duration car?
Could you comfortably drive it across the US?
Old 07-04-2018, 02:42 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

You will get different answers from different people. Some could spend hours and hours in the car while others can't. Good news is you'll likely enjoy it however you use it.....
Old 07-04-2018, 03:31 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 182 Posts

My humble opinion - if the car is too loud you should have bought a Turbo. I have done 3,000 mile 4-5 day trips in my GT3. Is it loud yes. Can i hear the radio yes. Do I enjoy the drive yes.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:36 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

I have a decent amount of time in the 3RS and 2RS, haven’t driven my touring yet. I specced all with LWB. If I am honest more than a couple hours is tough on my back.

sound wise it is amazing and a non issue. I might buy some 4ways for my touring.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:44 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,084 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
My humble opinion - if the car is too loud you should have bought a Turbo. I have done 3,000 mile 4-5 day trips in my GT3. Is it loud yes. Can i hear the radio yes. Do I enjoy the drive yes.

Your mileage may vary.
Just to be clear, his question is specifically about the Touring, not a regular GT3.

I recently went on a 3,400 kms road trip with family to Tuscany and back. I took three cars from my garage, the GTR, the GT3.2 PDK and the GTS cab. I gladly left the Touring at home. It is 3-5 decibels louder inside the car than my PDK, which over long distances at cruising speed is very, very tiring. it’s fine if doing mountain roads, but at long distance cruising speeds on the autobahn, it’s terrbile. Indeed, right now, my Touring is getting very little seat time.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:57 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 423 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by catpat8000
Haven't received mine yet (Sep delivery) and I am curious about the various whisperings I hear on using the GT3T as a road trip car.

You hear people say things like "I couldn't do more than 2 hours in the car at a time" and "it's so loud the Bose stereo is useless". If you have a GT3T, do you agree? Is this still just a short duration car?
Once the michelid get 1000 miles the rolling noise get better
i will change to non track tires at next change
Bose is useless eitherways
Old 07-04-2018, 04:16 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99

Your mileage may vary.
+1

GT3, winged or wingless, is not at its best as a lumbering cross country highway cruiser. Sure the 991 cars have pretty good highway manners, but the car yearns for more, for a twisty back road or a local circuit.

Many of the Smokies GT attendees including mwar99 and myself have done 10+ hour road trips in our GT3s and RSs. At the Smokies our groups are known as the hardcore drivers, we spend 4-6 hours everyday on spirited drives. On the rare occasion my wife isn’t in the passenger seat, I prefer windows down and radio off.

Both my 991.1 GT3 and GT3RS had lightweight buckets. I find them comfortable for hours on end, but of course I like the race seat in my endurance racing car for 2 hours at a clip too!

Ryan
Old 07-04-2018, 04:29 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I did 1100 plus miles non-stop in a lotus elise on I95, cross country nearly non-stop in an 84 Land Rover (water pump failed outside of Denver), 500 miles straight in a 59 Land Rover etc. The concept that you can’t take any car on a “touring” road trip is preposterous to me.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:37 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by catpat8000

Both statements are correct. Too loud for long trips and Bose is useless.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:35 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did 14 hours of driving over 24 hours in my Touring with lwb. The only time it was too loud for me was over long stretches of bad pavement. But on good roads and freeways, I was able to drive for hours without problem. And enjoy the Bose as well.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,084 Likes on 384 Posts

Honestly, I have no idea how people say they can enjoy the Bose at highway speeds in the Touring...because at a constant 140kph, its 92-94 Decibels inside the cabin. Thats loud. Industrial loud. Trying to play music over the top of that is futile. It just assaults my ears.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:52 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I have no problem with the noise in my touring seems a bit loud but doesn't bother me. My LWBs have the angle adjusters installed so they are very comfy on longer trips. The ride is firm but I don't mind it unless it's a really bad public road like in Detroit. I have become less tolerate of longer road trips so I use the Cayenne if doing a couple days in the seat and trailer the GT3 to a track a couple of states away.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:55 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

i have done a 7 hours highway trip to imola racetrack two weeks ago.... i found the gt3 mk2 manual more comfortable than my previous gt4...both with lwb
Old 07-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I recently went on a 3,400 kms road trip with family to Tuscany and back. I took three cars from my garage, the GTR, the GT3.2 PDK and the GTS cab. I gladly left the Touring at home. It is 3-5 decibels louder inside the car than my PDK...
confused. are you saying the GT3 Touring is noticeably louder than a regular 991.2 GT3 w/PDK? Aren't they the same car in all mechanical respects except for the wing, according to Porsche? Are you suggesting the manual transmission vs. PDK accounts for the extra decibels? If so, wouldn't it stand to reason a manual GT3 w/wing would be just as loud as a Touring?

As for what others have said, I've had a 991.1 GT3 (PDK of course; and 18-way sofas), a GT4, and a 981 Spyder (manual; and LWBs). Drove the 991.1 GT3 to Smokies GT last year (about 8-9 hours) and the Spyder this year. Found them both fine for the journey.

To my great surprise, actually found the LWBs far more comfortable for the long drive. My back didn't hurt at all with them. But in the GT3 with the 18-way sofas, I had lots of backaches despite many attempts to adjust them. I think the snug more upright LWBs just must do a better job of enforcing excellent posture on you while the sofas allow the occupant to slouch and lean side to side more, which isn't good for your back. Which leads me to a strange conclusion: If you daily a GT3 for mostly short drives: sofas for the convenience of getting in/out a lot. If you like spirited drives and long road trips (even if you don't track), then LWBs are actually better for support when pushing the car hard (as you'd expect) but also for comfort for the long drives due to excellent support and posture they promote.

In terms of noise, the GT3 was louder than the Spyder, but it didn't bother me for the trip last year. Haven't driven a 991.2 GT3 yet and my Touring is due in late August. The 991.1 GT3 had Sound Package Plus, which was the best factory audio offered, and it was pretty useless. My Spyder has Burmeister, which is FABULOUS and much appreciated on the long interstate drive, even for talk radio when not listening to music. Wish it was offered on 991.2 GT3, but Bose has got to be better than Sound Package Plus, so I ordered it. Here's hoping. Regardless, stereo goes off during spirited driving; the car itself is the best soundtrack for that!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by cox1974
i have done a 7 hours highway trip to imola racetrack two weeks ago.... i found the gt3 mk2 manual more comfortable than my previous gt4...both with lwb
Wow, your highways allow so much freedom!
The A14 can be so much fun

Quick Reply: Touring in the GT3 Touring