Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring in the GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

I just returned from a great 10 day road trip in my GT3 Touring, visiting Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah and Nevada. I covered 3,500 miles and drove on some incredible roads. The car performed fantastically and only used a very small amount of oil, which was surprising, as it was very hot on the second half of the trip, and I did a lot of high speed cruising (80/90 MPH) in Utah and Nevada. I was also impressed how the oil and water temps were unaffected by the high temps (around 100 degrees).

I have LWB seats and was pleasantly surprised how comfortable they were, even on several 9 hour days behind the wheel. My 17 year old daughter was with me for the first three days and she wasn’t so happy in them when trying to nap.

As far as noise, most of it comes from road noise thru the tires, especially on rough, old pavement. I simply used ear plugs when I knew it would be for several hours. I have the standard radio, which is more than adequate. I never regret that I passed on the Bose radio.

I’m not sure I would do this trip again in the GT3, as most of my driving was on interstates, which my other car (Audi S6) is more suited for. The back roads I drove on made it absolutely worth it this time. If I could just drive those roads next time…

Pictures to follow:
Old 07-19-2018, 07:28 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Crater Lake

Multnomah Falls

Pendleton, Oregon

Colombia River, Eastern Washington

Sawtooth Mountains, near Stanley, Idaho

My trip numbers
Old 07-19-2018, 11:21 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Chris,

Still loving the black lettered PORSCHE on the chrome touring. Looks like you had a lot of fun!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:24 PM
vaalus63
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi not to offend anyone, but why would one get a GT3 in Touring without the wing? I mean when i got my allocation I didn't need to think twice and to obviously not pick the touring option. I mean I feel a GT3 with the wing look so much different and more aggressive. Just my 2 cents. Anyone care to tell me why anyone would choose a touring? Im just curious..
Old 07-19-2018, 11:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,796 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by vaalus63
Hi not to offend anyone, but why would one get a GT3 in Touring without the wing? I mean when i got my allocation I didn't need to think twice and to obviously not pick the touring option. I mean I feel a GT3 with the wing look so much different and more aggressive. Just my 2 cents. Anyone care to tell me why anyone would choose a touring? Im just curious..
911R envy.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:14 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Because the wing screams: I am driving a fast Porsche pull me over officer.

The touring says: I am an old man taking my trophy wife out to dinner or commuting to my job as an actuary.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Is this your first GT3? If so, you should definitely get it with a wing. After having owned a few GT3s, and being offered one without directly from Porsche, it’s something new and nice to try out. If done right, it gives the opportunity to build a new 911 Porsche, with the perfect engine, and resemble the old school style. To me it has nothing to do with the R. But it gives me a chance to try the GT3 without the wing, which hasn’t really been offered before with a 9k rpm 500hp engine, GT3 suspension and near 3000 lbs weight. I don’t care if people recognize the wing so they know it’s a GT3. They’ll know anyways when I drive by. Plus any downforce difference is it not noticeable until over 130 mph, which doesn’t apply to 90% of street driving. For mostly track car, that’s why there is an RS.

There are about 23-24 911 variants. Why not one more? It’s Porsche marketing at its best...
Old 07-20-2018, 12:25 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by evilfij
The touring says: I am an old man taking my trophy wife out to dinner or commuting to my job as an actuary.
Not if it’s a bright PTS
Old 07-20-2018, 12:27 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3

Not if it’s a bright PTS
I went with pastelish 1950s green (Auratium) which says: I am “this” close to retiring to Florida ....
Old 07-20-2018, 12:31 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

I went with pastelish 1950s green (Auratium) which says: I am “this” close to retiring to Florida ....
Haha... I went with this. Not sure what is says:

But I don’t care
Old 07-20-2018, 12:38 AM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

I've dreamed of having a GT3 for many years and about 2 years ago, I remember seeing a White one pull up in a parking lot and being in awe of it, except it was just a bit too flashy for me. When the Touring was rumored, I thought perfect, a GT3 that's a bit under the radar. As soon as it was announced, I changed my order and couldn't be happier. I sort of think of it as the "mature" GT3. If you're concerned about attention, the Touring get's plenty.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:38 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3

Haha... I went with this. Not sure what is says:

But I don’t care
It says I like answering questions on Rennlist as to whether it is signal/RS green/viper/pure/essmann green. ;-)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:41 AM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Chris,

Still loving the black lettered PORSCHE on the chrome touring. Looks like you had a lot of fun!
Yes! Sorta a one off Porsche! The trip was beyond description. I had once in a life time experiences. My 17 year old daughter loved the attention from the young boys
Old 07-20-2018, 12:43 AM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, it either speaks to you or it doesn’t. Simple as that but hard to explain. I like brunettes more than blondes. Ask we me why and I can’t explain it why. Give me all the reasons why blondes are great and I’ll likely agree with you. But I still prefer brunettes. Same can be said about many things...art, butts, etc.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:45 AM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris88
Yes! Sorta a one off Porsche! The trip was beyond description. I had once in a life time experiences. My 17 year old daughter loved the attention from the young boys
Wow sounds epic, other then the daughter getting attention from boys lol. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Touring in the GT3 Touring