Sponsored by:

Touring in the GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 04:51 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
To be clear I realize what his question was specifically about.. As there really should't be much of a difference between the two my comment would be relevant depending on what the OP likes and can handle for noise, etc.. And I stick with what I said, if you want the car for trips and don't like noise you should buy a Turbo.
Originally Posted by reidry
+1 again
Many GT3 owners also replace the center muffler with a bypass for a little more noise! At full chat my GMG bypass is over 100 dB on the track side monitors. For me, open headers on a V8 is reaching too loud.
Ryan
If someone wants more sound out of their GT3 and they are tracking their car, the best ROI is a set of side muffler bypass pipes dropping 35+lbs off the back of the car, getting rid of a decent amount of heat soak right behind the rear tires. We put them on every GT3 that comes through our shop, it's a no brainer.

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
I haven’t had a chance to drive my touring yet but am disappointed so many find it loud and unpleasant at highway speeds.

The LWB do irritate my lower back after awhile.
Do the angle adjusters make that much of a difference? How much labour to fit them? Can the angle be changed while sitting in the seat? Best angle adjuster available?
They most certainly make a big difference : ) Shot you a Whatsapp, we can chat a little more about them in detail

Originally Posted by race7117
LWB without the adjuster are a bit too upright and for long trips is a back breaker. The adjusters are a huge difference with just enough increased angle to alleviate this issue. I really like them even on longer road trips. I use the Autoquest version, which is very similar to factory, not a difficult job but I just had my Tech do it.
Thanks for the kind words, and glad to hear you are enjoying our adjusters!

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
^ Lol God forbid you can't hear Havana perfectly hahaha

Originally Posted by AndreasPeriera
Would an exhaust system such as dundon headers make the drone more or less? I would think the sound would be more enjoyable
As a rule of thumb....as purely a sound improvement it is very difficult to provide a blanket recommendation or answer to someone inquiring about an exhaust system. Sound is very, very subjective and therefore an exhaust upgrade should be tailored to an individual based off their individual goals and background by someone who is knowledgeable on the various systems. If you would like to discuss various exhaust upgrades and determine what is best for you, please feel free to give me a call any time at 484 883 6197 I would be happy to spend some time with you to make an educated decision. The same goes for any other fellow Porschephiles on here haha.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Not sure if this has been covered before but new laws are being passed in Europe where manufacturers will not be allowed to offer a button in the interior that switches to an exhaust mode that makes it louder. Also you will not be allowed to fit an aftermarket exhaust that is louder than the stock exhaust.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pope
Those are generic Porsche options that apply to all models. For the GT3, it should be like this:

I031 - Lowered sports suspension & PDCC Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control & PASM Porsche Active Suspension Management (designating standard GT3)
I032 - Touring Package (same suspension description as above)
I039 - Touring Package in Black (same suspension description as above)
GT3 does not have PDCC available
Old 07-17-2018, 01:49 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Where did you pull this from?
from PET
I032 Touring suspension

the touring packet is I039
Old 07-17-2018, 02:36 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TBC63
Don't have my Touring yet and won't have it until December...maybe even later due to CXX. It will share garage space with my 2016 .1 GTS / PDK. I have two buddy's with .1 GT3's and they both agree that the GTS sounds way better than the GT3's when driving around town AND spirited driving AND and has a different scream (not better, just different) when wound out. I expect the same outcomes with the .2 Touring.

Now this next statement applies only to me but something to consider. As I have gotten older my ears have gotten much more sensitive to sounds in particular to highway drone and loud noises at certain frequencies. The GTS does have a drone especially with PSE. My ability to hear has changed and I am now more sensitive to subtle changes. I really wanted to continue to enjoy the tone of the car without all the volume...solution is I wear BOSE noise reducing headsets (no music playing) and have found the perfect sound balance for me especially on those long drives in the Texas hill country. It will be interesting to see how the headsets filter the GTS vs. Touring engine and exhaust sounds. Once the Touring arrives I'll round back and report. It I had to place a bet today...GTS will still sound better due to some of the technical reasons others talked about in previous posts (flaps, PDK etc)

Tom
I have a GTS 7 spd and will be glad to trade drives with anyone in a GT3T for acoustic comparisons

Jim
Old 07-17-2018, 10:12 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by cox1974
i have done a 7 hours highway trip to imola racetrack two weeks ago.... i found the gt3 mk2 manual more comfortable than my previous gt4...both with lwb
It took me 8.5 hours to go from San Marino to Bari ... perhaps my fault.
I drive fast but I have a strict diet rule - only one sandwich per stop.
many stops always seem to occur
....they are delicious

Old 07-17-2018, 10:41 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^keep the food nonsense out of this thread! j/k...I'm just hangry. Looks so good.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:07 AM
993RR
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Not sure if this has been covered before but new laws are being passed in Europe where manufacturers will not be allowed to offer a button in the interior that switches to an exhaust mode that makes it louder. Also you will not be allowed to fit an aftermarket exhaust that is louder than the stock exhaust.
That's good information, thanks.

I suppose that will affect the remaining 991.2 GT3RSs to be built + any Speedsters.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:10 AM
993RR
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts

I understand that Andreas Preuninger & Frank Walliser personally own a Touring. That's high praise.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:22 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RR
I understand that Andreas Preuninger & Frank Walliser personally own a Touring. That's high praise.
Googling I found this
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/p...ge-121438.html

Originally Posted by johnny2five
^keep the food nonsense out of this thread! j/k...I'm just hangry. Looks so good.
What is Touring without food?

Last edited by Perimeter; 07-18-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:34 PM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to mention the Euro emissions laws changing on September 1!
Smart money in Europe is getting their cars built before then... the horsepower of the 4.0 will 'stay the same' but the sound will be not nearly as good after that date (for Euro cars).
This combined with the exhaust button change will really not be great...

Old 07-18-2018, 05:32 PM
BLACKMAMBA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve done close to 3000 miles in my car now including a 1200 mile round trip in 2 days which included motorways and smaller, local, twisty roads. The car is noisy on the motorway - mainly tyre noise I think - but I expect this from a GT3. No specific drone between 70-80mph that I could detect. I will probably swap the Cup2s for MPS4S when the time comes which should offer a little more compliance and less noise. Ride quality is very good for a sports car.

The BOSE system has enough volume to drown the noise out but it does have to be turned up to perform. You will miss the nuances of quieter pieces but it’s still very enjoyable. No GT3 is going to be a good platform for music lovers no matter what audio is fitted. I think the BOSE helps make the best of the situation if you like music while driving.

I have the LWBS and have no problems with them at all including back to back 8 hour stints. They are supportive and really add to the feel of the car. They could be a bit narrower through the hip but I am of slim build. I know some people don’t find them comfortable so very much a case of trying them and making sure they work for you.

I am not sure there is such a thing as one car that does it all. I am happy to live with some compromises on the cross country motorway sections for the entertainment that follows. If you want to cross continents quickly and in comfort, listening to classical music then buy a Bentley.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:38 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RR
Is it high praise or their respective efforts to remain off the radar personally.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe they can make the sport setting standard then have the button do the opposite and make it quieter. 😎
Old 07-18-2018, 08:20 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKMAMBA
I’ve done close to 3000 miles in my car now including a 1200 mile round trip in 2 days which included motorways and smaller, local, twisty roads. The car is noisy on the motorway - mainly tyre noise I think - but I expect this from a GT3. No specific drone between 70-80mph that I could detect. I will probably swap the Cup2s for MPS4S when the time comes which should offer a little more compliance and less noise. Ride quality is very good for a sports car.

The BOSE system has enough volume to drown the noise out but it does have to be turned up to perform. You will miss the nuances of quieter pieces but it’s still very enjoyable. No GT3 is going to be a good platform for music lovers no matter what audio is fitted. I think the BOSE helps make the best of the situation if you like music while driving.

I have the LWBS and have no problems with them at all including back to back 8 hour stints. They are supportive and really add to the feel of the car. They could be a bit narrower through the hip but I am of slim build. I know some people don’t find them comfortable so very much a case of trying them and making sure they work for you.

I am not sure there is such a thing as one car that does it all. I am happy to live with some compromises on the cross country motorway sections for the entertainment that follows. If you want to cross continents quickly and in comfort, listening to classical music then buy a Bentley.
Well said, and I echo all of these sentiments from my own experience - the drone, tire noise, LWBs, Bose, compromises.

Originally Posted by Perimeter
What is Touring without food?
Lol, fair point. We also need some pic of the Touring actually "touring." Here are a couples pics for from my recent trip where I drove for 12 hours within a 20-hour span.

Quick Reply: Touring in the GT3 Touring