991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring in the GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 12:03 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

strange nobody noticed this

I031 Sports chassis with PASM and PDCC
I032 Touring suspension
Old 07-05-2018, 12:05 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Thank you for the feedback Chris.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:54 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
strange nobody noticed this

I031 Sports chassis with PASM and PDCC
I032 Touring suspension
Where did you pull this from?
Old 07-05-2018, 03:12 PM
TBC63
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't have my Touring yet and won't have it until December...maybe even later due to CXX. It will share garage space with my 2016 .1 GTS / PDK. I have two buddy's with .1 GT3's and they both agree that the GTS sounds way better than the GT3's when driving around town AND spirited driving AND and has a different scream (not better, just different) when wound out. I expect the same outcomes with the .2 Touring.

Now this next statement applies only to me but something to consider. As I have gotten older my ears have gotten much more sensitive to sounds in particular to highway drone and loud noises at certain frequencies. The GTS does have a drone especially with PSE. My ability to hear has changed and I am now more sensitive to subtle changes. I really wanted to continue to enjoy the tone of the car without all the volume...solution is I wear BOSE noise reducing headsets (no music playing) and have found the perfect sound balance for me especially on those long drives in the Texas hill country. It will be interesting to see how the headsets filter the GTS vs. Touring engine and exhaust sounds. Once the Touring arrives I'll round back and report. It I had to place a bet today...GTS will still sound better due to some of the technical reasons others talked about in previous posts (flaps, PDK etc)

Tom
Old 07-06-2018, 11:38 AM
catpat8000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP here. It seems odd to me that there would be any difference at all in ambient noise while cruising, between GT3 and GT3T. Given the light weight of the R, it also seems a little hard to believe the GT3T is louder than the R.

So now I am wondering if the comments about noise in the GT3T are coming because drivers expected something different with a car called 'Touring' and in fact there are actually no significant measurable difference. Thoughts?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:42 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

^ Chris seems to be very specific/detailed enough to where it seems like at least in his case there is a discernible difference, so much so that it's impacted his use of the car unless I am putting words in his mouth. On the other hand he has quite the stable of GT cars so perhaps he can notice these differences where to many of us with only 1 GT car etc we wouldn't notice. Hard to notice something in this regard if you have nothing to compare it to...
Old 07-06-2018, 12:00 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Honestly, I have no idea how people say they can enjoy the Bose at highway speeds in the Touring...because at a constant 140kph, its 92-94 Decibels inside the cabin. Thats loud. Industrial loud. Trying to play music over the top of that is futile. It just assaults my ears.
In the states, 140 kph is 88 mph, so it's unlikely to be much of an issue. Normal speaking voice is 65-70db, so I can't imagine a difference of 3 db being that meaningful --excluding "loud talkers."
Old 07-06-2018, 12:03 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can only speak for myself - I bought the car as a wingless GT3 and the next best thing to an R. I like loud/raw cars and definitely didn't think I was buying a 'tourer'

For me, in my car, its specifically the drone on the freeways (~75mph) that is really loud, that's why I posted on your thread since I would guess sitting at cruise speed on a freeway is a big part of 'touring'. Rowing up and down the gears and through the rev-range on smaller roads is not a problem - its the highway drone at cruise speed that gets super irritating. For this specific reason I would say that my Touring at least, is not a great "touring' car. In most other respects though it is excellent.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:23 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Where did you pull this from?
Those are generic Porsche options that apply to all models. For the GT3, it should be like this:

I031 - Lowered sports suspension & PDCC Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control & PASM Porsche Active Suspension Management (designating standard GT3)
I032 - Touring Package (same suspension description as above)
I039 - Touring Package in Black (same suspension description as above)
Old 07-06-2018, 01:16 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Agree, its very subjective. I am possibly in an untypical situation where I can jump from car to car and compare every single nuance one on one. So things that I would detect and subsequently be annoyed about, other people, who just jump into a Touring and have nothing to compare it with, will probably be happy as bliss.
Originally Posted by sampelligrino
^ Chris seems to be very specific/detailed enough to where it seems like at least in his case there is a discernible difference, so much so that it's impacted his use of the car unless I am putting words in his mouth. On the other hand he has quite the stable of GT cars so perhaps he can notice these differences where to many of us with only 1 GT car etc we wouldn't notice. Hard to notice something in this regard if you have nothing to compare it to...
I think this is key. Chris is able to compare back to back to back to... Whereas the rest of us will only experience the GT3 or GT3T unless we drive a buddy's car. I've only driven my Touring, and while there is some drone, it doesn't bother me the least bit.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:32 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
I can only speak for myself - I bought the car as a wingless GT3 and the next best thing to an R. I like loud/raw cars and definitely didn't think I was buying a 'tourer'

For me, in my car, its specifically the drone on the freeways (~75mph) that is really loud, that's why I posted on your thread since I would guess sitting at cruise speed on a freeway is a big part of 'touring'. Rowing up and down the gears and through the rev-range on smaller roads is not a problem - its the highway drone at cruise speed that gets super irritating. For this specific reason I would say that my Touring at least, is not a great "touring' car. In most other respects though it is excellent.
It seems to me that some people think that once you chop off the wing, the car magically transforms into a Bentley lol. The GT3T is still a GT3! A car that excels in many things, but "touring" around the country is not one of those. A Bentley or Aston or a number of other cars would do much better from a comfort level. So you must expect some sacrifices in comfort when using the GT3T as a "tourer." I think this is partly Porsche's fault as the Touring name is a bit of a misnomer.

I drove around in the car at 70-75mph yesterday with the specific intent of listening to the drone. I have 800 miles on the car, and up to this point, the drone didn't bother me one bit. It still didn't last night, but I decided to play around with the sound settings. I adjusted the fader to -1, which helped mask the drone a little. Another adjustment to -2 and I thought it was even better. I was able to hear Camila Cabello perfectly I guess checking the Bose option did pay off.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

I have watched more than one back to back review where the report was that the Touring was noticeably louder than a 991.2 GT3. Mine comes in the fall; I hope it’s a “good” loud (which I love) vs a drone (which I hate).

Old 07-06-2018, 05:22 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

^ Lol God forbid you can't hear Havana perfectly hahaha

The drone in my GT3 around 75-80MPH got mildly irritating after 2 hours on the autostrada to the point where I would vary the speeds to kill off the drone for at least parts of the trip (drop down to 65 then up to 90 etc), so if it is worse in the Touring that might not be ideal lol

That being said I agree with Johnny that this is not going to be a TurboS/AMG GTR/Bentley/S63 etc and I am totally fine with that. It's never going to be as comfortable as those types of sports cars, but what you gain in return IMO worth it and why we are all here
Old 07-06-2018, 05:51 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I was expecting this sound when I decided and got lucky to get this GT3T. As for me, it is what it is, since it has way less sound insulation compared to normal 911s. I didn't expect it to be a great tourer and basing it from from my 991.1 GTS MT. For me, it is a better compromise for a track and DD car.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:14 PM
AndreasPeriera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would an exhaust system such as dundon headers make the drone more or less? I would think the sound would be more enjoyable

Quick Reply: Touring in the GT3 Touring