Sponsored by:

‘18 GT3 vs ‘16 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:21 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
If you don't track the car (and it sounds like you won't) and its primary use would be as a DD then I would go for the .2 GT3. The .2 GT3's ride is much more compliant than the RS and as mentioned the .2 GT3 has more creature comforts. All this talk about 'race bred' engine is bogus as you apparently don't plan on tracking the car and even if you did, plenty folks take their C2S, C4S, Turbos, Caymans etc to the track and have a blast with their 'non-race bred' engines that function just fine. All this talk about 'race bred' engines simply illustrates just how effective Porsche's marketing dept is at upselling their product. Have fun, you can't go wrong with either but for your intended use, I'd suggest the .2 GT3
I only had a little bit of seat time in the .1 3RS but my impression was it was very hard to distinguish a difference in ride quality, both felt a bit stiff but definitely manageable on your typical uneven/bumpy street for me. Supposedly the .1 3RS is quite comfortable for DD/street driving especially compared to the new .2 3RS so I wanted to point that out for the OP from just my own experience, others will be more knowledgeable about ride quality between the two for sure.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:34 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
One thing to consider, if it's important to you, is that the 1.1 RS has probably suffered a majority (not all, but a majority) of its depreciation; while the 1.2 GT3 is just starting at the top of its depreciation downward slide.

But, all that said, while some like to say "an RS is an RS" ... I like to say "9K is 9K" .
I have a strong feeling that the .2 GT3 won't depreciate into the future because its likely the last NA + manual transmission 911 GT car Porsche will create (unless they've given a clear indication that the next GT3 won't be turbocharged).
Old 06-27-2018, 12:43 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

People who have 991.1 RS will say RS; people who have 2GT3 will say that's the one to get. Drive each and decide. I've had both, GT3 better around town. RS better for track. Just my opinion of course. Good luck, both are awesome.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:58 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I only had a little bit of seat time in the .1 3RS but my impression was it was very hard to distinguish a difference in ride quality, both felt a bit stiff but definitely manageable on your typical uneven/bumpy street for me. Supposedly the .1 3RS is quite comfortable for DD/street driving especially compared to the new .2 3RS so I wanted to point that out for the OP from just my own experience, others will be more knowledgeable about ride quality between the two for sure.
Interesting take and I'm sure the OP will appreciate your personal experience. The general consensus that I've taken away from folks who have driven both was that the 991.1 GT3RS has a harsher ride quality than the 991.1 GT3 and that the 991.2 GT3 has a more compliant ride than the 991.1 GT3. This would suggest that the 991.2 GT3 is much more compliant than the 991.1 GT3RS. Eitherway, the OP should be fine with either.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:03 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

2016 GT3RS Nurburgring lap time 7:20 per Car and Driver (Mar 2015)
2018 GT3 lap time 7:12.7 per Porsche.
Seems pretty clear to me...
Please obfuscate as needed.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:15 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
991.1 rs outperforms a .2 gt3 on track hands down - much more mechanical grip and better aero
REALLY????
Not according to Nurburgring Lap Times: 2018 GT3-2 7:12.70, 2016 GT3RS-1 7:20.00
Old 06-27-2018, 01:27 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting take and I'm sure the OP will appreciate your personal experience. The general consensus that I've taken away from folks who have driven both was that the 991.1 GT3RS has a harsher ride quality than the 991.1 GT3 and that the 991.2 GT3 has a more compliant ride than the 991.1 GT3. This would suggest that the 991.2 GT3 is much more compliant than the 991.1 GT3RS. Eitherway, the OP should be fine with either.
The RS may have better grip and aero, but the .2 GT3 has better torque and power to get it out of corners. In a controlled environment they would be equally as fast. .2 GT3 has the advantage of more torque, a better torque curve and power. The .1 RS has more mechanical grip. I have no driven both, but friends that have owned both and they all say the .2 GT3 is faster and they feel more comfortable with it around a track.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:48 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
The RS may have better grip and aero, but the .2 GT3 has better torque and power to get it out of corners. In a controlled environment they would be equally as fast. .2 GT3 has the advantage of more torque, a better torque curve and power. The .1 RS has more mechanical grip. I have no driven both, but friends that have owned both and they all say the .2 GT3 is faster and they feel more comfortable with it around a track.
In my experience at track the new GT3s pull away from me easily out of corners down the straights, but I easily catch them under braking and through corners. No doubt that new car has better low end torque. I personally think the RS feels better on track, but that just me. People who quote Ring times to determine what is a better car is ludicrous. I would never say that the new GT3 RS is a greater car then a 918 because its now faster. So many variables at play (tire differences, ambient temp, track changes/paving, ect ect) . However, I guess some people are into measuring their dongs for superiority to make them feel better.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:04 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
In my experience at track the new GT3s pull away from me easily out of corners down the straights, but I easily catch them under braking and through corners. No doubt that new car has better low end torque. I personally think the RS feels better on track, but that just me. People who quote Ring times to determine what is a better car is ludicrous. I would never say that the new GT3 RS is a greater car then a 918 because its now faster. So many variables at play (tire differences, ambient temp, track changes/paving, ect ect) . However, I guess some people are into measuring their dongs for superiority to make them feel better.
In all fairness, quoting Ring times is generally acceptable for assessing overall track prowess not for "determining which is a better car". While you are right that there are variables that do affect Ring times across different periods, Ring times are generally acceptable comps as a measure of a car's track worthiness. Measuring one's dong is another thing altogether... btw your assessment of the GT3RS outperforming newer GT3s under braking and in the corners makes sense..I mean look at Front & Rear tire size for starters...way more rubber on the RS!!
Old 06-27-2018, 02:29 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
I have a strong feeling that the .2 GT3 won't depreciate into the future because its likely the last NA + manual transmission 911 GT car Porsche will create (unless they've given a clear indication that the next GT3 won't be turbocharged).
I also support this view of slow depreciation and because the 991.2 GT3 is only being made as a one year model version and either PDK or manual version will hold as well as the other, if that is the case. If the 992 GT3 regular goes turbo that will even flatten out the depreciation curve even more..........interesting speculation..............
Old 06-27-2018, 02:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
I also support this view of slow depreciation and because the 991.2 GT3 is only being made as a one year model version and either PDK or manual version will hold as well as the other, if that is the case. If the 992 GT3 regular goes turbo that will even flatten out the depreciation curve even more..........interesting speculation..............
From everything I am hearing the 992 GT3/RS will not be FI, but remain NA with a hybrid setup.

But like most things in life, I could be and probably am totally wrong.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:51 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a .2gt3 coming at MSRP but if I had to pay a 20-50 over I would be shopping for a used RS. The performance is so similar and most likely you won't come close to using it all. Now if a manual is important then...

Last edited by meaker; 06-30-2018 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:38 PM
Smoking Rotors
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
I have a .2gt3 coming at MSRP but if I had to pay a 20-50 over I would be shopping for a used RS. The performance is so and most likely you won't come close to using it all. Now if a manual is important then...
That's it right there. ^

If actual sales prices of both cars had a delta of tens of thousands of dollars in difference, it would be an easy choice; say an RS at $200ish or .2 at $160ish. But they are from what is on the market - content for content - about the same price.

The RS is easy to purchase - tons available, the .2 purchase is wrought with perceived "pain"; deposit, time value of money, partnering with a dealer or third party, long wait times, etc... . If you want an RS today, you can get an RS today. If you want a .2, it gets complicated.

And the other argument that these cars will hold their value is speculation. Neither have unit counts that traditionally would dictate exclusivity, and non exclusive Porsches don't really appreciate - with the exception of those individual cars kept in showroom quality, which is another discussion of opinion. It might be better to look at the current snapshot rather than trying to guess considering potential market permutations.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:46 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

del

Last edited by golfnutintib; 06-27-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:26 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

If you don't track the car (and it sounds like you won't) and its primary use would be as a DD then I would go for the .2 GT3. The .2 GT3's ride is much more compliant than the RS and as mentioned the .2 GT3 has more creature comforts. All this talk about 'race bred' engine is bogus as you apparently don't plan on tracking the car and even if you did, plenty folks take their C2S, C4S, Turbos, Caymans etc to the track and have a blast with their 'non-race bred' engines that function just fine. All this talk about 'race bred' engines simply illustrates just how effective Porsche's marketing dept is at upselling their product. Have fun, you can't go wrong with either but for your intended use, I'd suggest the .2 GT3
Bogus? The genesis of the Porsche GT cars was based on Porsche Motorsport developed cars!

Quick Reply: ‘18 GT3 vs ‘16 GT3RS